Let's Read ACKS Core at RPG.net

As you can see, it encompasses a pretty fucking huge area. 281 6-mile hexes are considered to be Civilized, while 332 6-mile hexes are Borderlands. That means that 10,624 sq. miles are considered to be Borderlands and 8,992 sq. mile Civilized. The book will explore further implications of Civilized v. Borderlands v. Wilderness from here on out, but for right now what we learn is that Explorers can only found their domains in Borderlands or Wilderness, while demi-humans (elves and dwarves) must found their domains either in the Wilderness or Civilized/Borderlands areas of domains founded by their own race.

Wales is 8,016 mi², for comparison.

During the Middle Ages, the largest town in Wales was Cardiff, with a population of 1,500 to 2,000 inhabitants - 300 to 400 families in ACKS terms, making it a Large Village (Class V). Cardiff would not be big enough to evenmake Wales "civilized", in other words.

Even as late as the 14th century, there were only six towns large enough to qualify as ACKS Large Towns in the whole of the British Isles - London (4,500 families), York (1500 families), Bristol (1,200 families), Coventry (960 families), Norwhich (800 families), and Lincoln (700 families). There's 94,525 square miles in the United Kingdom. If we assume 8,992 square miles per town, with no overlap, that's 53,952 civilized square miles, still leaving half the islands uncivilized. But of course most of these towns are actually clustered near each other in an arc across the east and south of England, with Cornwall, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland virtually absent of urbanization. In ACKS terms, England would be largely "Civilized", while Cornwall, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, and the smaller isles would be Borderlands and Wilderness. The rules tend to create urban clusters with borderlands and then wilderness and assume adventure is happening at the borderlands. This is in contrast to the "points of light" in contemporary D&D, where cities seem to dot the landscape with huge wilderness in between. 

Since Every Campaign is a Law Unto Itself, you can, of course, assume a smaller radius of civilized and borderlands territory if desired. An approximate downward limit of size that an urban settlement can control is a number of hexes equal to (urban population / 31), based on a 10:1 rural:urban ratio and an average population density of 310 families per 6-mile hex (50 per square mile). London would need 145 6-mile hexes or 4,500 square miles just to feed itself and the peasants who feed it, excluding any smaller towns in its orbit. Anything less than that and you get into bad simulation - where does the food come from?

I liked how the thread mentioned that Neutral clerics do not have their divine power acquisition defined.

For me, this means that it’s up to their deity. I’d think that most Neutral deities would probably collect congregations, but a more savage deity might have blood sacrifice instead. Some deities might have both (perhaps they accept sacrifices of nonintelligent creatures, but not of intelligent creatures), or perhaps they have restrictions on it that Chaotic deities do not (since Chaotic deities accept only willing Chaotic sacrifices, perhaps a Neutral deity accepts only willing sacrifices of any alignment). Or perhaps they have fewer restrictions; a deity purely of death merciless might accept any sacrifice, while being Neutral instead of Chaotic due to their complete lack of any sort of caring about the living.

Interesting stuff, thanks for the further info :)

I'm sure Alex will chime in, but once that was brought up, I was thinking maybe there just *aren't* Neutral clerics, or Neutral gods. (a text find in the Primer for "neutral" reveals no results)

It kinda makes sense - the experience of being/achieving godhood perhaps necessitates 'picking a side'  - there's no way to be a diety and be 'meh' about things - you're pure will and ego, and there has to be a focus for that. It'd follow then that the cleric also must pick a side in order to channel that.

The cleric of death merciless may still be Chaotic, just not, you know, cackling, finger-steepled evil - uncaring but for what he or she wants seems to still fall under Chaos. The classic Nature God could fall either way - the reincarnation of souls (the ciiiiiiircle of liiiiife) and such could be argued as Lawful - there's a cycle, don't mess with it, don't build that dam, don't mine that mountain - while still a bit anti-civilization.

What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

[quote="koewn"]

I'm sure Alex will chime in, but once that was brought up, I was thinking maybe there just *aren't* Neutral clerics, or Neutral gods. (a text find in the Primer for "neutral" reveals no results)

It kinda makes sense - the experience of being/achieving godhood perhaps necessitates 'picking a side'  - there's no way to be a diety and be 'meh' about things - you're pure will and ego, and there has to be a focus for that. It'd follow then that the cleric also must pick a side in order to channel that.

The cleric of death merciless may still be Chaotic, just not, you know, cackling, finger-steepled evil - uncaring but for what he or she wants seems to still fall under Chaos. The classic Nature God could fall either way - the reincarnation of souls (the ciiiiiiircle of liiiiife) and such could be argued as Lawful - there's a cycle, don't mess with it, don't build that dam, don't mine that mountain - while still a bit anti-civilization.

What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

[/quote]

My assumption is that most Men are Neutral; it is those that are Lawful or Chaotic that are the outliers, those who have made the choice to participate in the cosmic struggle between disorder and anarchy. Regarding the worship of deities, I like the idea that most individuals worship a multitude of gods within a pantheon; those who worship a single deity are, like those Lawful or Chaotic characters, the outliers. That allows the average man to give offerings to both the gods of Law and Chaos, depending on which one they are attempting to propitiate.

[quote="Alex"]

Since Every Campaign is a Law Unto Itself, you can, of course, assume a smaller radius of civilized and borderlands territory if desired. An approximate downward limit of size that an urban settlement can control is a number of hexes equal to (urban population / 31), based on a 10:1 rural:urban ratio and an average population density of 310 families per 6-mile hex (50 per square mile). London would need 145 6-mile hexes or 4,500 square miles just to feed itself and the peasants who feed it, excluding any smaller towns in its orbit. Anything less than that and you get into bad simulation - where does the food come from?

[/quote]

This is extremely relevant to me, as I started my regional map with the assumption that i would make a class II market city, and the resulting spread of civilized vs. borderlands meant there was very very little actual wilderness for the players to muck about in within the region.  I might assume a highly urbanized pattern to try and make some little pockets of wilderness to play in.