ACKS print on demand?

Already checked with leisure games. No copies available and none on order. Can I print the PDF I purchased legitimately at a staples?

We're planning for a reprint in the near future, and working with Game Salute to negotiate Lulu into our contract with them, so I'd save the money Staples will cost. 

Hey Tavis,

Will the reprints have errata included?

Hoping the POD (especially if it involves LULU) is something that happens soon, I finally decided to buy the hardback and now they are sold out. Plus POD is a great way to pick up cheaper player copies.

Personally, print quality is more important.

Is there a problem getting the book into distribution in Canada? I managed to get a copy of the core book through my FLGS, and I have the Companion on order with them, but I’m pretty sure the copy of the core book did not come through regular distribution channels (speaking of which, I e-mailed ages ago about getting the .pdf, but never received a reply).

Searching my inbox for tavis@autarch.co and support@autarch.co didn't turn up your email, but I sent you the PDFs for both books just now.

Our distribution partners are Game Salute and ACD. With the Domains at War Kickstarter we'll also be offering retailer reward levels, so that will be another way stores can get books at prices designed for resale.

Wow! That is some seriously fantastic customer service. I don’t even have the Player’s Companion, yet (although my FLGS just emailed me that it’s in. YIPEE!). My original e-mail was not from the address I joined here with. I’ll PM you so you know I’m on the level.

I don’t know anything about layout, but I was wondering if the existing core rulebook layout would shrink down to a digest size and be readable?

I would love to have a digest size softcover, POD or otherwise, to give to new players.

Just +1-ing this as I have an inexplicable love the the digest-size format. I bought one of those 4e “essentials” handbooks just because, and I don’t even play that game anymore.

Do you have a time frame? I’ve been close to doing at least the first 8 chapters as a Lulu private project.

Then again, I’ve also considered taking the OGL parts of those chapters, my campaign specific spell list/spells, and extra character classes as a Lulu private project given I have at least some of that in LaTex already.

That said, I’d like an actual ACKS RB and PC as well.

We hope to send the file to the printer this week or next. 

For my two coppers, I’ve found the POD quality at RPGNow to be really nice - I’ve acquired a number of White Wolf books that way and have been very surprised by the quality. I believe they have printing facilities in the US and UK, though I’m not sure of their Canadian shipping costs.

Hi :slight_smile:

I live in Italy

Lulu is not the cheapest but is cheaper than getting things from the USA (where you must add also random tax and other difficulties)

In Europe it seems that Lulu prints in France and distribute in all Europe (you can choose various kind of spedition), lulu can also do hardcover, price of spedition are tollerable

the cheapest spedition costs for print on demand (only softcover) is Amazon createspace, great quality and usually NO spedition cost (except in Canada sorry :() in USA, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, France)

quality: I think you should go for both options (and let people choose) at equal cost I would buy the offset but if the difference in price is considerable…

don’t underestimate the potential customer you could reach with POD

ps: on a final note I just read of a blogger that prefer to buy pdf and print them on lulu as private file instead of ordering them from the USA

http://machpants.blogspot.it/2013/04/i-looooooooove-lulu.html

Lulu shipping via Royal Post to London is comparable to shipping via USPS to Durham NC - $10-15 for 4-8 thinnish softcover items.

I am in NZ and Lulu (non hardback because they are printed in the US) is awesome. Due to the recent increase in shipping I have pretty much gone to buying PDFs (where-ever) and uploading them as private files to Lulu. Lulu then print in Australia and, as the always have 20% off voucher codes, I pretty much get them shipped free. The quality is just as good as offset, the only thing is they are all glued so they won’t last forever. But as getting another copy is so cheap I don’t mind if I wear them out and get a new one!
E.g. Magic World (BRP) was on special as PDF at 15$ and I got a print copy from Lulu for under 9$, free shipping and that is an almost 300 page book!

Just another voice to add to the chorus saying POD would be awesome. I've bought books off Lulu before, and they're great.

POD softcover books are great. Hardback POD books, however, are not so good (at least here in the UK) as they do not have sewn bindings…just glued.

So personally I’d prefer you to offer POD softcovers as a cheaper alternative for those overseas or those who are looking to pick up multiple copies for players but only offer hardbacks via distribution to ensure there is no lessening of qwality for those who a re bothered by such things.

I agree, Wulf, about hardcover bindings. But if you look at most non-PoD hardcovers they use the same glued bindings anyway. Often they have a swatch of cloth to make it look like sewn but the majority aren’t. For example the ACKS Core and Companion are glued, all you are getting for paying for hardcover is the awesome look really. They are no more durable to continual opening and shutting that game books do. the game books that are sewn, for example those from Frog God Games, a very expensive.

I really don't get the complaints people make about bindings. I've never had any kind of book fall apart on me, I have to wonder what people are doing to theirs.

First printing of White Wolf’s Vampire way back when. Every copy in the group ended up being taken to Kinko’s for rebinding. Thing would fall apart if you just looked at it crosseyed.