Barrowmaze in the Auran Empire? [GMs Only - Spoilers]

I have been thoroughly enjoying the Auran Empire Primer from the L & E Kickstarter and it got me thinking of ways of integrating Barrowmaze into the setting.

From what I can tell, Rorn as a Brythonic-like kingdom could make a good choice for a Barrow-filled moor.

Can anyone think of a good candidate previous civilization which established the Barrows themselves?  I suppose the Elves are a possibility?

Perhaps it was the Zaharans who then corrupted the graves (if the Zaharans were active this far north?)

The undead factions could be replaced by Chthonic gods (or perhaps rival demon servants of Chthonic powers).

What I am a little bit more stuck on is the conflict / rivalry in the home-base between the "Old Faith" - druidic style worship and the "New Faith" of St Ygg - my thoughts are that in the Auran Empire the conflict might be between Druidic/shamanic worship of nature spirits (perhaps something inherited from the Elves?) and the Empyrean gods?

Hello BronzeAger, the timeline of religions in the Auran Empire setting is as follows:

Pre-History - Northern tribes are shamanic, influenced by remnants of Empyrean faith from Farahavar. Southern tribes are shamanic, influenced by remnants of Chthonic faith from Khepri. 

2500 BE - Elves introduced to Chthonic faith. Thrassians inherit Chthonic faith from them, Zaharans sustain it after Thrassians. Zaharans spread it as far as Kemesh.

700 BE - Empyrean faith introduced by Azendor, spreads throughout Auran Empire. Kemesh eventually spreads Chthonic faith into Somirea, Celdorea. Celdorea spreads it into Dappakosea (now Jutland) and Ivorea (now Rorn).  

Barrow-mounds with intact corpses could be built anywhere that is Chthonic or Shamanic. It would be less likely in an Empyrean setting, because Empyreans believe in cremation, though barrow-mounds with cremation-urns do occur in Empyrean religious areas.

For Barrowmaze, I would put it in Southern Rorn. The barrows would have been established during the bronze age for indigenous Rornish heroes (shamanic). After the Celdorean conquest, the Ivorean (Rornish) aristocracy would have been slightly Celdoreanized, and adopted the Cthonic faith while maintaining the outward forms of its old faith. So you'd have Rornish burial mounds to the Chthonic gods, giving you an undead-like faction. 

Hope that helps!

Many thanks Alex - this is really helpful.  I really like the way (if I am understanding correctly) you have used the distinction between the Empyrean (Olympian) and the Cthonic and incorporated this into the funerary practices (cremation vs. burial) in a way which creates such a strong rationale for the Undead.

When you write that shamanic faiths are receive Empyrean or Chthonic influences, do you mean that the Spirits which Shamans engage with tend to fall into either the Empyrean or Chthonic camp (as primitve or perhaps ancestral aspects of the syncretic deities) or do they occupy a middle ground, or are they something else entirely and not really comparable?  I ask because in a lot of recent implied settings the spirit world of the druids tends to be cast in an 'Old Faith' way - they essentially become Chthonic, but not necessarily Chaotic - while th gods of the clerics seem to be the 'New Gods.'  

Also, have you written about Farahavar and Khepri (a proto-Egypt?) before?  My instant reaction when seeing your reference was to think of legendary ancient supercivilizations like Atlantis or Lemuria but I may well be way off on that.

Hello BronzeAger! I'm glad it's helpful. To answer your questions:

1. "When you write that shamanic faiths are receive Empyrean or Chthonic influences, do you mean that the Spirits which Shamans engage with tend to fall into either the Empyrean or Chthonic camp (as primitve or perhaps ancestral aspects of the syncretic deities) or do they occupy a middle ground, or are they something else entirely and not really comparable?" 

An Empyrean cleric would say that the Empyrean gods are true gods, worthy of worship, while the Chthonic gods are demons, whose worship is evil. Empyrean clerics also permit prayer to ancestors, heroes, and emporers, revered as "exalted", in a manner similar to how saints are prayed to.

A Chthonic cleric would say that Chthonic gods are strong powers worthy of worship, while the Empyrean gods are weak powers unworthy of worship. Chthonic clerics would also permit prayer to undead sorcerer-kings and various lesser demons and idols that serve the Chthonic gods.

A Shaman would say that the Empyrean gods are strong spirits that hold sway over civilization and some gentler aspects of nature, the Chthonic gods are strong spirits that hold sway over dangerous forces of nature, and that there are many other powers too, ranging from exalted ancestors to nature spirits to forgotten powers. They would say that some or all might be worth worshipping at some time or another. Perhaps Dirgion, Chthonic god of death, is given an offering to avoid his evil eye, while  Ammonar, god of sun, is asked to bring warmth on winter nights, while the local river spirits are placated during flood-season. 

Think of an Empyrean-influenced Shaman as one who worships Empyrean gods alongside various other powers in a traditional folk religious sense with mythology but without theology. A Chthonic-influend Shaman would worship Chthonic gods alongside various other powers in a traditional folk religion with mythology but without theology.

2. "I ask because in a lot of recent implied settings the spirit world of the druids tends to be cast in an 'Old Faith' way - they essentially become Chthonic, but not necessarily Chaotic - while th gods of the clerics seem to be the 'New Gods.'"  

In terms of age, the oldest religions are the Farahavar-Empyrean faith and the Khepri-Chthonic faith. These largely disappear during the Cataclysm of the Day Without Night. The survivors (various men, elves, dwarves) are left with a Shamanic folk religious faith that echoes the forgotten religions.

The Khepri-Chthonic faith enjoys a renaissance circa 2500 BE when the elves learn the Chthonic faith from the Great Teacher (a surviving khepri) in Southern Argolle.

The Farahavar-Empyrean faith returns circa 700 BE when the prophet Azendor revives their worship after receiving holy books from Mt. Audarammas.

So from the perspective of the present-day inhabitants of the setting, the Chthonic faith is older, although in fact both are quite ancient.

3. "Also, have you written about Farahavar and Khepri (a proto-Egypt?) before?  My instant reaction when seeing your reference was to think of legendary ancient supercivilizations like Atlantis or Lemuria but I may well be way off on that."

You are 100% correct. The Farahavar are Lawful arcane/divine casters, while the Khepri are Chaotic psionicists. Both have advanced "scientific sorcerery" no longer available in the current setting.

Their existence is hinted at occasionally in ACKS and various other writings. They are the races that ruled the land before the Day Without Night. They are now more detailed in Lairs & Encounters. [NOTE: In the *original* homebrew Auran Empire setting, the Khepri were the Mind Flayers and the Farahavar were Solars. I needed replacement creatures for professional publication. One of the high-level backer rewards available in L&E was the opportunity to create new monsters, and Mark Bober and Charles Myers were kind enough to back at that level and bring these two races into existence.]