Core Rulebook in pdf

I was wondering if it would be possible to produce an illustration-free version of the Core rulebook.  My pdf reader keeps crashing when I try to scroll through quickly, mostly when I hit the big full page illustrations.

What reader are you using?

For my "reference copies" when working on stuff, I've "printed to PDF" my PDFs and eliminated the covers and illustration pages to minimize the file size (and therefore RAM usage) - there's several ways to do it depending on your OS & reader. This was especially handy with L&E - I split that into a Lairs, Rules&Monsters, and LairMap PDF.

Google "split PDF" plus your OS and there'll be several options pop up.

[quote="koewn"]

What reader are you using?

For my "reference copies" when working on stuff, I've "printed to PDF" my PDFs and eliminated the covers and illustration pages to minimize the file size (and therefore RAM usage) - there's several ways to do it depending on your OS & reader. This was especially handy with L&E - I split that into a Lairs, Rules&Monsters, and LairMap PDF.

Google "split PDF" plus your OS and there'll be several options pop up. [/quote]

Er, something called "Nitro"?  It came installed in my laptop, and I frankly don't know enough about computers to know if it is good or bad (which is why I'm asking the questions about illo-free pdfs instead of fixing the problem myself, which is apparently possible).

Oh man, this is a thing I never knew I wanted. I get terrible terrible lag when loading most any of the illustrated ACKS pdfs with evince, which is why I still use the unillustrated kickstarter drafts sometimes.

… I’ve been meaning to learn the pdf file format, I guess stripping illustrations is as good a place as any to start.

On my Kindle Fire the full page illos don't crash but they do take a while to load.  I didn't even know stripping illos was a thing; first I'll have to figure out how to get them back off my kindle onto my new PC, which should be easy but weirdly isn't, because not everything shows up when I plug it in to my PC.  But that's a gripe for Amazon.

Thread hijack:  I will say that in pdf, and only in pdf, I've come to really like those solid black silhouettes in the monster chapter.  It makes it very easy to find stuff when sliding through pages.  Yet in print I still find them clip art-y and out of place with the rest of the art.  I imagine different art in the same places for pdf and print would be a nightmare for production and layout, so I won't ask for it... I'll just note the trade-off involved.

I use FoxIt on Windows and Evince on Linux, FWIW. The "print to pdf" option may take a while, as you've got to note which pages to skip and laboriously put them in the print box, and if you do it in multiple steps the page numbers will continue to change on you :)

[quote="Dave"]

On my Kindle Fire the full page illos don't crash but they do take a while to load.  I didn't even know stripping illos was a thing; first I'll have to figure out how to get them back off my kindle onto my new PC, which should be easy but weirdly isn't, because not everything shows up when I plug it in to my PC.  But that's a gripe for Amazon.

Thread hijack:  I will say that in pdf, and only in pdf, I've come to really like those solid black silhouettes in the monster chapter.  It makes it very easy to find stuff when sliding through pages.  Yet in print I still find them clip art-y and out of place with the rest of the art.  I imagine different art in the same places for pdf and print would be a nightmare for production and layout, so I won't ask for it... I'll just note the trade-off involved.

[/quote]

if there were ever to be a "deluxe" or even 2nd edition of ACKs, I would definitely want the PDF to include an indexed, hyperlinked list of every monster.