How do spell research breakthroughs work?

When a major breakthrough raises the spell level by “1 level”, does that mean “10 points” or “up to the minimum for the next level”. Something else?

When a minor breakthrough raises a spell’s power by “1/2 level”, does that mean “5 points” or “halfway between its current power and the minimum for the next spell level”?

Does a minor breakthrough on Ventriloquism (12 points) get me a 16 point spell?

What’s the halfway point on Magic Missile (10 points)?

Maybe I’m just misunderstanding.

Then, once you’ve gained four point of Ventriloquism, what do you do with it? Do you just totally rebuild the spell and try to hit that bonus number? It seems like it would be tricky to reverse engineer a few extra points into a spell.

Thanks!

I like. big. BUMPS and I cannot lie!

When a major breakthrough raises the spell level by "1 level", does that mean "10 points" or "up to the minimum for the next level". Something else?

APM: You get 10 points.

When a minor breakthrough raises a spell's power by "1/2 level", does that mean "5 points" or "halfway between its current power and the minimum for the next spell level"?

APM: You get 5 points.

hen, once you've gained four point of Ventriloquism, what do you do with it? Do you just totally rebuild the spell and try to hit that bonus number? It seems like it would be tricky to reverse engineer a few extra points into a spell.

APM: The Judge and the player should collaborate on an appropriate outcome. Generally you should rebuild the spell and try to hit the bonus number, but if your tastes run to the quirky or gonzo, you could also just "add" 5 - 20 points of other effects. With the Judge's permission, you could even create a second spell of 5-20 points, which is a sort of byproduct or side effect or dual effect. For example, imagine a Lightning Bolt that leaves a lingering glow in the area (like a Light spell).

Thanks! That seems quite workable.