In-Character 3 A Time to Talk of Many Things

Gwydion

Gwydion returns the now-empty strongbox to its compartment and then does likewise with the compartment's door. He grimaces at the thought that he missed something in his earlier search and then shrugs before helping Masov.

"Obviously, we must hurry."

OK, no, we're cool. I mean, we're not cool, I hate squishy bags, but I'm OK to get down the ramp without incident.

Masov

'Indeed.' Masov heads down the ramp with the package. 

'Dagmar, whomever, get Kerrick over here, let's see if this'll fit on the horse and we'll get back to our inn'.

Kaul

Before we get out of the workshop Kaul leans out of the main door and looks around to se if we are being watched.

Miska maintains his watch outside carpenter's shop, barely nodding as Gwydion quickly passes him by.

He tries to take up a relatively inconspicious spot nearby.

Hengist

I lean out the door and give Kerrick "the sign."  Which is to say, I wave, nod and gesture.  Then I'll heft the bundle up on to his horse if Kerrick allows.

(Alternately, I can simply carry it, but I may slow the party.

(Double post.  :/  I'll blame the internet.)

Kerrick Helmsworth

Kerrick will come on over and assist Hengist in lifting and securing the bundle on his horse (who has plenty of carrying capacity left).

[quote="Miska"] Miska maintains his watch outside carpenter's shop, barely nodding as Gwydion quickly passes him by.

He tries to take up a relatively inconspicious spot nearby. [/quote]

As Gwydion strides into the carpenter's shop, the cleric moves back under the overhang against the workshop doors. He scans the street, but sees no one outside. He is again left with the impression of movement from within several of the buildings nearby, as if the party is being watched clandestinely. Aria moves to the other side of the doorway, and assumes a similar position, with Andrew standing in the street near Kerrick, looking around, nervously.

[quote="Masov"] 'Indeed.' Masov heads down the ramp with the package. 

'Dagmar, whomever, get Kerrick over here, let's see if this'll fit on the horse and we'll get back to our inn'. [/quote]

Hengist comes over, grabbing the bundle from Masov, and heads for the door...

[quote="Kaul"]

Before we get out of the workshop Kaul leans out of the main door and looks around to se if we are being watched.

[/quote]

...but Kaul steps in front of him, holding up a hand. Hengist re-adjusts the bundle, bracing its weight as he waits. Kaul steps over and leans out past the workshop door, scanning the street. Kaul's wardog lets out a low "woof!" and shifts slightly. The immediate vicinity of the workshop appears deserted. The thief is left with the uneasy feeling that comes from an absence of people in places they're expected: a deserted church, an abandoned home...or an empty town.

[quote="Hengist"] I lean out the door and give Kerrick "the sign."  Which is to say, I wave, nod and gesture.  Then I'll heft the bundle up on to his horse if Kerrick allows. [/quote]

Kaul moves back into the building, satisfied but wary, and nods to Hengist. Hengist tosses his hair, then steps into the open doorway. He catches Kerrick's eye, and smiles. His expression then turns serious, and he nods slowly, once, then gives an exaggerated wink.

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] Kerrick will come on over and assist Hengist in lifting and securing the bundle on his horse (who has plenty of carrying capacity left). [/quote]

Kerrick nudges his mounts' sides, and moves over to the waiting warrior, stopping at the edge of the overhang. The two of them easily lift the bundle into place, securing it on Kerrick's saddle.

Hengist

"Ah...  streets got pretty quiet.  Just move in here and bar the doors, maybe?  Carpenter's not using it anymore."  (But Hengist follows if anyone moves toward the inn, rather than stand longer in the street.)

Gwydion

"Something afoot outside?" Gwydion asks when he comes downstairs. "Briefly, it seems Elves are involved with the problems here. The carpenter was an Elf disguised as a human. The bundle is just loot, though there is no harm in searching it carefully." Gwydion shrugs. "The plot involves magic obviously. Where is Kaul's box?"

Kaul

"lets stay here, a defensible position is not something to give away, and Cynis is nervous" i said while scraching my dogs head.

"I have the box in my backpack"

Masov

'Alright. Let's keep on keeping watch, and see about our various packages. Hengist, come on back in and drop that off with Kaul and Gwydion and I and take position wherever ya'll judge best.'

Barring argument or attack, Masov will cut the twine and unwrap the larger bundle, indicating Kaul place his box alongside it so we can all see everything at once.

Hengist

"Miska, Andrew, maybe safer inside?"

If they go inside, I'll gesture Dagmar just inside the big doors and we'll pull them partially shut, so she and Hengist are each just inside, looking out crossways.  Otherwise we'll stay outside.

(Edited to finish my thought.)

[quote="Hengist"] "Ah...  streets got pretty quiet.  Just move in here and bar the doors, maybe?  Carpenter's not using it anymore."  [/quote]

Hengist's remark hangs in the air, as the nearby party members exchange looks...

[quote="Kaul"] "lets stay here, a defensible position is not something to give away, and Cynis is nervous" i said while scraching my dogs head. [/quote]

...and then begin moving. Kaul draws back in to the building, heading for the ramp, while Kerrick nudges his horse over to stand in front of the doors, his view of the street clear.

[quote="Gwydion"] "Something afoot outside?" [/quote]

...Gwydion asks as he descends from the upper floor, passing Kaul on the ramp. The thief shrugs, and Gwydion continues, addressing the group...

[quote="Gwydion"] "Briefly, it seems Elves are involved with the problems here. The carpenter was an Elf disguised as a human. The bundle is just loot, though there is no harm in searching it carefully." Gwydion shrugs. "The plot involves magic obviously. Where is Kaul's box?" [/quote]

[quote="Kaul"] "I have the box in my backpack" [/quote]

...Kaul calls out from the top of the ramp. He pauses long enough to hand his backpack down to Gwydion, the heft of its contents apparent, before readying his bow and continuing upstairs to the front windows. Once there, he positions himself with the shutters ajar, able to see the area but little exposed.

[quote="Masov"] 'Alright. Let's keep on keeping watch, and see about our various packages. Hengist, come on back in and drop that off with Gwydion and I and take position wherever ya'll judge best.' [/quote]

Hengist retrieves the bundle from Kerrick's steed, hefting it back towards the workshop doors...

[quote="Hengist"] "Miska, Andrew, maybe safer inside?" [/quote]

Hengist says with a smile. Miska, Aria, and Andrew seem to hesitate, unmoving. Hengist shrugs under the weight of the bundle, then carries on inside, setting it on the floor a few feet back from the entrance. He then waves Dagmar over, and they move to either side of the doors outside, watching the street in either direction.

Waiting for their companions, Miska, Aria, and Andrew and their actions.

[quote="Masov"] ...Masov will cut the twine and unwrap the larger bundle...placing the box alongside it so we can all see everything at once. [/quote]

Pulling the leather back from the bundle, it would appear to contain a large pile of furs, mink perhaps, and no doubt quite valuable. This many would likely fetch as much as 500gp, though they are quite hefty at 5 stone for the bundle.

Leaving the furs aside, Masov reaches into Kaul's backpack. His hands touch the smooth, intricately carved wood of the strange box, and it feels almost warm to the touch. Drawing it forth, Masov is hit with the same sense of...unease, almost physical nausea, that the strangely carved piece of wood inspired. The sensation here is much stronger, however, and even Gwydion appears to sway slightly, as if momentarily dizzy.

The pattern is troublingly familiar to Masov somehow.

Lifting the wooden box in his hands, Masov can see the raised leaves are intricately carved, each finely detailed, as if grown and magically transformed to wood. The pattern of the leaves seems to almost move, as if leading...somewhere. The box is masterfully made, and is likely very, very valuable in and of itself. After several minutes' examination, it becomes clear to both Masov and Gwydion that the box has no obvious openings. No apparent lid or door can be seen.

Masov

'Eldritch puzzlebox. Clearly a job for the combined efforts of Kerrick and Kaul, or a well-placed axe. I'm not sure we have the time for this.'

Masov will begin packing up the box, and, asks the room at large:

'We should get back to the temple. Take this with us, I guess? What hour approaches?'

You'd guess it's at least three hours past midday.

Gwydion

“Can we visit the house of the Elves again on the way? There seems little reason not to be more brazen in our investigation at this point, though we must consider the possibility there are multiple groups of Elves in the town.”

Masov

'I'm pretty sure we're at the point of the story where the heroes go kick doors down. Unless Kaul wants to take a quick shot at the box...'

Kaul

"ill try to open the box, just give some minutes"