In-Character - Down from the door where it began...

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth "] Kerrick sits, but does not eat. (Not out of paranoia, but because Lord Mallory is not, and that would be rude.) "I will answer what questions for you I can, Lord. I am Kerrick Helmsworth, and my companions and I are here to help. We were not sent here; however, Vasan raiders were spotted moving about the river, and the watch-fires were not lit. This immediately let us know that something was wrong here. Fearing the worst, we arranged passage and arrayed ourselves for battle, in case raiders had destroyed Orlean entirely." "Having arrived, we found that happily your fair township has not been destroyed, but there does seem to be something causing problems. We came to present ourselves to you in hopes that you could tell us more about what is going on here." [/quote]

Lord Mallory frowns at your words, "Vasan raiders, eh? That's unusual this early in the year. We're not long past the winter storms..." he looks to an expensive window, small pieces of glass in a lead frame, overlooking a slightly overgrown garden, "Alas, I have not had the men to man the watch-fires."

He smiles ruefully at you, "If things continue this way, I won't have the men for putting food on the table!"

Sighing again, he leans back in his chair, and suddenly looks well beyond his years, "I said to you that Orlean is dying. That much I know. But what I cannot tell you is why this is so."

"Papa...who's dying?" asks the littlest girl at the table.

"Hush, child!" Lord Mallory says, gently. Lady Mallory rises and collects the two young girls, quickly ushering them out of the room. Once they have left, Lord Mallory continues, "People have been disappearing. I am not certain when it began, as people do come and go. When I noticed something strange was perhaps a year ago. Word of a family that just...vanished. Their home and belongings untouched. These were not wealthy people, but fishermen. They had no means to easily start life anew elsewhere. They were the first I was aware of, but by no means the last. Stranger still were several who went missing, but then returned. Unharmed. Yet...different. Changed in a way I could not define."

"I soon asked my constable, Thorsdun, to look into things, quietly. Not a clever man, to be sure, but reliable. Steady. It was shortly thereafter that his militia repelled a Vasan landing. That was late in the fall. While the Vasans were repulsed, our militia was all but wiped out. The last survivors succumbed to their injuries, in spite of the Temple's..." you would swear a sneer passes across the Baron's face, "...best efforts. Thorsdun has had his hands full since then. We have needed more help for some time, and your arrival is...fortunate. I can only assume the timing so close to the Fool's Day feast is no coincidence?"

The Baron offers you a wan smile, "I remember my own feast. It seems an age ago, now..." he pauses, his mind seeming to wander, until one of his sons speaks, "Father...?"

"Yes, yes..." the Baron says, waving his son to reseat himself, "Things have become worse since Thorsdun has been unable to manage. There was the attack at the Frog's Rest over the winter, where perhaps a dozen were killed - we didn't find them all - with none having seen what happened. Fewer ships have come, no doubt as rumours of our trouble begin to spread. And the fishing has been poor this spring. Praise be to Solis that last year's harvest was good enough to carry us through!"

Lord Mallory looks hard at the party, "We set out on our Fool's Day sojourns to find our fortune. Perhaps that is why you've come. My demesne is not large, but we have been prosperous, and I can reward those who would help me. That would mean rooting out whatever blight has taken hold here. But you must be wary, as there are some I believe can no longer be trusted..."

Miska the Misanthropic

“What’s this we’ve been hearing about elves?” Miska inquires.

Gwydion:

Gwydion is especially attentive to Lord Mallory’s response to Miska’s question about Elves. Like Kerrick, he abstains from eating despite his gnawing hunger.

Hengist the Fair

Never one to turn down free food, Hengist digs in. After waiting for the Barons answer re elves, he asks “tell us about the temple. Not competent to help, or not even trying?”

And if no one else brings up the obvious, “who should we be wary of trusting?”

Kaul

“Investigating those that came back changed seams like a good idea”

Masov

Have these disappearances and changes any commonality? Same area of the isle, some relationship betwixt the folks?

Would Thorsdun know who these apparent changelings are, that we could check a few things? Whom else do you believe ought not be trusted?

Regarding elves; then; I’d been under the impression they’d not inhabited this island in the past; I’d be curious the source of those rumors.

Aria
“I am amply suited to this investigation, for I trust no one in any case. Venus teaches us that treachery and villainy lie in the hearts of all men, waiting only the moment for the blood to rise and the opportunity to present itself. Now you must name the names of those who have changed so that we might ask them… pointed… questions.” Her hands subconsciously caress the hilt of her blades.

[quote="Miska the Misanthropic"] "What's this we've been hearing about elves?" Miska inquires.

...and watches the Baron with as much scrutiny as the Baron watches him. [/quote]

[quote="Gwydion"] Gwydion is especially attentive to Lord Mallory's response to Miska's question about Elves. [/quote]

The Baron looks slightly uncomfortable at the question, shifting in his seat and hesitating slightly before answering, "There are elves here. They are friends...associates...of mine."

[quote="Masov"] Regarding elves; then; I'd been under the impression they'd not inhabited this island in the past; I'd be curious the source of those rumors. [/quote]

"New residents in a village as small as ours starts tongues wagging, and reasons are fashioned from whole cloth when none are known."

With the Baron seemingly saying nothing more about the elves, Hengist breaks the slightly awkward silence as he speaks around a mouthful of egg...

[quote="Hengist the Fair"] "Tell us about the temple.  Not competent to help, or not even trying?" [/quote]

"There was a change in the clergy some time ago, near the beginning. I am not certain they even tried to help the survivors of the Vasan raid, although their wounds were certainly terrible, and spoke to the unusual ferocity of the attack. The temple is one of the largest in the region to Solis, and their clergy have always been aloof, but this was different. Solis' clergy might be rigid, but they no longer seemed to care."

[quote="Hengist the Fair"] "Who should we be wary of trusting?" [/quote]

[quote="Aria"] "Venus teaches us that treachery and villainy lie in the hearts of all men, waiting only the moment for the blood to rise and the opportunity to present itself. Now you must name the names of those who have changed so that we might ask them... pointed... questions." Her hands subconsciously caress the hilt of her blades. [/quote]

[quote="Kaul"] "Investigating those that came back changed seems like a good idea..." [/quote]

[quote="Masov"] Would Thorsdun know who these apparent changelings are, that we could check a few things? [/quote]

Lord Mallory nods, slowly, "I have my own suspicions, but they are only that: suspiscions. I have no firm proof. Thorsdun may have different ideas, but be wary of the smith, Leland, the provisioner and merchant, Stephon, who is a retired caravaneer, and Neddy, the local woodworker. As I said before, I am also deeply concerned about the Temple of Solis, and those who claim to minister in her name." 

[quote="Masov"] Have these disappearances and changes any commonality? Same area of the isle, some relationship betwixt the folks? [/quote]

"Indeed," Lord Mallory says, "those who have disappeared, even if they returned, did so by dark of night. It's as if some quiet beast stalks the streets by the light of the moon. The only other relationship of which I know is attendance of temple. But then, that describes most of my subjects close to the temple. Most were also residents of Orlean itself, though there have been disappearances amongst the outlying families."

"I would also ask that in this matter, you share any information you find only with me. Do not discuss any arrangement we have, save with Constable Thorsdun. I have seen witch-hunts before, and they do not end well. I do not wish to inflame such passions here."

Kerrick Helmsworth

“I believe we should investigate this temple, then. Both as potential victims and as a potential cause.”

Kaul

i nood at Kerrick in agreement.

Aria
“It is clear that Venus has sent me here because something foul and profane is taking place under the guise of worship. I suspect these “changed beings” are lycanthropes, doppelgangers, or worse. Let us strike at the temple by moonlight with fire and sword.”

Gwydion:

“While force of arms may prove necessary, I suggest we employ more discrete means in order to gain information. Once we have broken our fasts, let us approach this temple in the guise of supplicants. On the way there, it might also be wise to ask more questions of the locals.”

Kaul
“We should gather more information before we use violence, for example if our enemies are licanthropes we will need silver.” “and we certanly need to know for sure where our enemies are”

“i can get some information from the locals, have some experience in that”

Hengist the Fair

“I’m curious to hear the Temple’s story, before we decide on anything irrevix- … irrevak- … cough hard to go back on.”

Only after we’re well away from the Baron’s manor: “Yeah, the Baron spins a good story, but I’m not sure I trust him yet. I know I don’t trust his sheriff. May as well talk to these priests before we decide which way to jump here.”

Masov

To the temple, then.

Kaul

“Ill go to the tavern, i will like to drink, eat something other than dry meat and chat whit the locals. that and i am not a big fan of temples.” “see you later”

Aria
“I do not supplicate,” says Aria, “except to Venus. Skulk in the Temple. I shall join Kaul in the Tavern. It is best that none of us be alone, in any case, in a hostile town.”

Miska the Misanthropic

“Bah!” exclaims the dour cleric, “I am a man of action, of cold steel and hot blood and the thrill of battle, not of skulking in shadows! My mien is meant for murdering many malign monsters, not mumbling through mysteries! We are clearly not wanted here, we are unlikely to receive aid from any party and what is more there is unlikely to be any treasure here; I suspect we will leave this place poorer than we came, and not beloved by the residents. Therefore, I propose we prevail upon the local fisherfolk to ferry us back to the mainland, where we may pursue another avenue for adventure!”

Kerrick Helmsworth

“My plan is not to skulk or to mislead those in the temple. While I have been granted the ability to detect the taint of chaos, the minds of men are murky, and it will only come to the fore if they are actively plotting against me.”

“It is for that reason that I intend to stride in and throw down a gauntlet, informing them that I suspect them and that if they have been tainted, I will find them. Once that is complete, then if they are indeed tainted, they will surely be plotting my removal, and I will be able to identify them.”

“Anyone who wishes to come with me is welcome, although the tavern is likely a safer destination.”

Aria
“Now THIS is a plan I can get behind! My swords are with you.”