In-Character - Down from the door where it began...

[quote="Kaul"] "I will like that oat... so, how is your friendo going?" [/quote]

"Eh?" the man starts at your question, "I...no...I mispake. Yer pardon. I was thinkin'...let me get yer oats!" he finishes, turning and walking away abruptly.

[quote="Kaul"] after he is out of sight i tell Gwydion "keep my place an talk to the publicman, tell him that we may be staying for tonight, i will check what that fellow is doing"
Then i will follow the man upstairs discretly. [/quote]

Kaul rises and moves across the room to the stairs, moving up them as quietly as he can. A hall heads off from the landing at the top of the stairs, leading to your left for twenty feet or so, then turning to the left. As you stand, silently, you can hear the sound of quiet conversation...

...and finds himself unable to make out the words. There are two speakers, one presumably the man Kaul followed, but the other voice is strangely lilting, and carries an accent you cannot place. Whoever they are, they sound as if they are just around the left-hand bend in the hall.

Back in the main common room, the publican returns to the table where Gwydion and Miska sit. He drops a bowl of unappetizing gruel onto the tabletop, then appears to notice Kaul's absence, "Where's yer friend?" he asks, looking around, "Are you paying? Will you be needing rooms? Is it just you three? I can give you three rooms next to another, cheap..." the man shows a gap-toothed smile, but seems unduly axious, and eager to please in a fashion he wasn't just moments before.

Hear Noise
I rolled 1d20, the result is 13 = 13.

Gwydion

Gwydion looks at the gruel without joy. “Have you simple bread?”

Gwydion ignores the question about Kaul. “We might stay… if the price is right. What have you for entertainment? Are the Elves you speak of performers?”

Given if Masov notices this; is this state spread around the floor evenly or concentrated in a certain area of hte floor?

Masov

Bright lady (dunno what the poetic way to address a priestess of Solis would be IC; I sincerely apologize for the…overzealousness of our companion. The malaise affecting Orlean and it’s good people has put him on edge, and his is a faith of sometimes broad action, as indiscriminate as a light spring sprinkle, sometimes.

I would offer my apologies by way of hiring a mason to come assess and repair your floor mosiac here ((I stroll over (not in her direction if possible) to pick up a loose tile (are these small? if they’re huge maybe not) as if to have a sample to take to a craftsman)) - if a skilled craftsperson doesn’t reside in Orlean, I’ll hire out of Blackmarsh as soon as we’ve found the true cause of these problems.

if she accepts my offer or at least continues to listen to me:

In your professional opinion as a healer, I am very curious as to what you’d mentioned regarding wounds - the wounds being more the sharp work of the assassin, or the fey, perhaps, rather than the bold strokes of the Vasan, aside from the poor souls rended. It’s certainly not a comfortable thing to discuss, but things like wound location and …ah…how the other two were found would be helpful so that our next accusation putting on a wry expression and side-nodding at Kerrick may be more deftly targeted.

[quote="Gwydion"] Gwydion looks at the gruel without joy. "Have you simple bread?" [/quote]

"Aye. We've bread. I've a half-loaf I'll bring."

[quote="Gwydion"] Gwydion ignores the question about Kaul. "We might stay...  if the price is right. What have you for entertainment?" [/quote]

"Enterta...? We've no fool here, if that's yer meaning. Or musicians. We rely on our fine rooms and good food to bring in guests!" he says this last without a trace of irony as you stare at the grey mush in the bowl set out for Kaul, "Our price is normally 5 silver, but for you and yer friends, if you take three rooms, mind, I'd give 'em to you at 4 silver apiece!" he again shows his gap-toothed smile, clearly trying to project munificence.

[quote="Gwydion"] Are the Elves you speak of performers?" [/quote]

"Elves?!" he asks, seeming alarmed, "Made no mention of elves, sir! I know no elves! Here, now...where's your friend? Who's paying for his meal?"

[quote="Masov"] Bright lady; I sincerely apologize for the...overzealousness of our companion. The malaise affecting Orlean and it's good people has put him on edge, and his is a faith of sometimes broad action, as indiscriminate as a light spring sprinkle, sometimes. [/quote]

She seems to calm somewhat at this, her back partially turned to Kerrick, who stands in the narthex.

[quote="Masov"] I would offer my apologies by way of hiring a mason to come assess and repair your floor mosiac here... [/quote]

Masov strolls away from her to right-hand side of the sanctuary. The tile seems more egregiously damaged in this direction, near to the door in the right-hand wall. The tiles of which the mosaic is composed are small, perhaps the size encompassed when touching your finger and thumb, at the largest. Masov has no trouble picking up a piece of broken tile. A spiderweb of cracks radiate across its surface, as if it was struck a heavy blow, and pieces fall away from the fragmented outer edge.

[quote="Masov"] ...if a skilled craftsperson doesn't reside in Orlean, I'll hire out of Blackmarsh as soon as we've found the true cause of these problems. [/quote]

The woman frowns, "That is...most kind. I'm quite certain none in Orlean can repair the damage. You would have to find an artisan, either at Blackmarsh, or perhaps even Muncaester. Please, do not trouble yourself with this matter!"

[quote="Masov"] In your professional opinion as a healer, I am very curious as to what you'd mentioned regarding wounds - the wounds being more the sharp work of the assassin, or the fey, perhaps, rather than the bold strokes of the Vasan, aside from the poor souls rended. It's certainly not a comfortable thing to discuss, but things like wound location and ..ah...how the other two were found would be helpful so that our next accusation <em>putting on a wry expression and side-nodding at Kerrick</em> may be more deftly targeted. [/quote]

She flushes again, her visage darkening as she glances back towards Kerrick, who still stands silently in the narthex, seeming concentrating on the far wall of the sanctuary with great interest.

"The claim was made by the Baron that the bulk of the militia was killed in a Vasan raid, but that was early in the winter last year, and such is time for Vasans to huddle in their long halls, not sink their longships in the winter storms that roll in from the Grey Sea. And the men did not look to be killed by Vasan weapons, as I already told you. Most were killed by sharp, clean thrusts. Daggers, perhaps? Shortswords? Some type of light stabbing blades. The other two were beyond telling..." she visibly pales as she speaks, "...such malice in killing I have rarely seen. The work of madmen, hacking their victim apart, out of sheer rage, or for sport."

She gazes steadily at you, "The Baron's story does not have the ring of truth. And his new companions - elves, unless I am mistaken - have seen a change in his mien with their arrival."

So this is how large around? Is this someone cracking around with a hammer of some sort or someone dropping large, heavy objects? Multiple impact points? What’s the door made of? Does it look like perhaps the door was kicked down? If so, how’s the door and frame looking?

Masov
Psh. History is my trade; and the lesson it always teaches is to live rightly and fully. While there’s still the bright light of life here, I’ll do what I can to keep the march of years at bay.

Masov
We’ve heard talk of elves. I personally cannot divine a reason elves would take any note of this island. Have you seen or met them, or have you heard of their number? Do they mingle with Orlean, or keep to themselves?

We’ve also heard tell of missing families - up and gone in the night, so it seems, or folks who have gone away to come back oddly - were or are any of your congregation?

Gwydion

“Folk use privies in your village, do they not? I never know what to expect from Men.”

[quote="Gwydion"] <em>"Folk use privies in your village, do they not? I never know what to expect from Men."</em> [/quote]

The man's eyes go wide for a moment, then, with an explosive exhalation, he lets out a wheezing laugh, "Ahh, right you are! Your pardon, I'll wait fer him to come back, never you mind!" with which he turns and hurries away towards what you presume is the kitchen.

No one else in the common room appears to have paid any attention to the exchange, and Kaul still has not returned. Miska, as Misanthropic as ever, has remained as silent as a statue through the entire odd conversation.

[quote="Masov"] <em>So this is how large around? Is this someone cracking around with a hammer of some sort or someone dropping large, heavy objects? Multiple impact points? What's the door made of? Does it look like perhaps the door was kicked down? If so, how's the door and frame looking?</em> [/quote]

The door itself appears undamaged. As for the damage to mosaic, as you look at the size and pattern to the harm, you can see that it is concentrated in area stretching from the edge of the floor mosaic at the narthex, along in arc to the right-hand door, much like a path. It's the worst along the centre of this path, and lessens as you move out from it. As for what it looks like, it appears that many of the tiles have been struck, though by what is unclear. Not a sledge, as none of the damage appears so concentrated, and not a chisel, as none of it is so precise. 

[quote="Masov"] We've heard talk of elves. I personally cannot divine a reason elves would take any note of this island. [/quote]

She huffs in disdain at this, but it does not seem to be particularly directed at you, "You should address such a question to Lord Mallory, himself." 

[quote="Masov"] Have you seen or met them, or have you heard of their number? Do they mingle with Orlean, or keep to themselves? [/quote]

She frowns again, as if she finds the question troubling, "Have I...no. No, I have not met them. They skulk about..." she stares at the floor, and seems to be considering this deeply, "Looking for the next to disappear, perhaps..." her momentary reverie breaks, and she gazes firmly at you again, "They have holed up in a cottage directly west and a bit north of the Baron's manor, just outside his estate's wall."

[quote="Masov"] We've also heard tell of missing families - up and gone in the night, so it seems, or folks who have gone away to come back oddly - were or are any of your congregation? [/quote]

Again, her mien becomes clouded...upset.

"Some have left, certainly. But...there is little doubt that some were...taken. What would elves do with such as our common fishermen and farmers?" she seems to genuinely be asking, confused. After a moments hesitation, she shakes her head, dismissing the question, "You have the tile. Your offer of donation to restore the mosaics is seen in a favourable light by Solis, even though unnecessary. I must take my leave, as I have other matters that I must attend to. You and your companions, other than Thor's welp..." she raises her chin in Kerrick's direction, "...may remain in the sanctuary, if you wish to give praise to Solis."

Andrew

“I did not mean to question your healing. I know not everyone can be saved, and there are many reasons why our efforts can fail. But knowing the reason is helpful. Thank you for your help.”

Miska the Misanthropic

Miska shrugs. “It is clear to me,” he says once they are alone, “that the elves are at the bottom of all this. I yearn to be gone from this place, and therefore propose we use Gwydion as bait to lure these fickle faeries out into the open.”

Kaul

i return to the main hall as if nothing has happened “we might like to stay, but will have to speak to our friends latter, those are some fine rooms”
“But we cant stay much if we dont find some job, aparently there was roumors about missing people, i dont know if how much truth there is to that, but it sounded like the sort of thing that we might solve, and the sort of thing that could lead to gold in some point”

[quote="Kaul"] i return to the main hall as if nothing has happened "we might like to stay, but will have to speak to our friends latter, those are some fine rooms" [/quote]

"Yes, yes...nothing but the best here!" the publican says, returning to the table with a heel of stale bread and a small dish with a bit of butter that looks far too yellow with age. He sets these in front of Gwydion, "If there are more of you, I can sweeten the deal on more rooms!" that same, gap-toothed smile.

[quote="Kaul"] "But we cant stay much if we dont find some job, aparently there was roumors about missing people, i dont know if how much truth there is to that, but it sounded like the sort of thing that we might solve, and the sort of thing that could lead to gold in some point" [/quote]

"You'd best be talking to the Constable about that. Name's Thorsdun. He's the Baron's man, and he'd know about mercenary work. He's the one dealing with the ones that have...up and left."

Gwydion

“Did you know any of these people that have ‘up and left?’ And what is this about mercenary ‘work?’” Gwydion swallows the bread without relish (or the unappetizing butter). “Have there been any raids of late by pirates?”

[quote="Gwydion"] "Did you know any of these people that have 'up and left?' And what is this about mercenary 'work?'" [/quote]

"Those who left? I knew most of 'em from here about town," the publican gets that far-off, dazed look again, "Not sure where they got to, though..." then snaps back, looking directly at you again, "As fer mercenary-type work, sometimes the Baron hires those as have skill with a blade. Cleaning up problems, is my guess. Constable Thorsdun would know."

[quote="Gwydion"] Gwydion swallows the bread without relish (or the unappetizing butter). "Have there been any raids of late by pirates?" [/quote]

"Not since the winter, when Vasans were fended off by the militia. Was a bad bit of business, with most of 'em not coming back!" The man looks around the gloomy common room, and although none appear to be in any hurry for anything, he begins to edge away, "Got to take care of my customers. I'll be holding those nice rooms for you. You remember that I'll be sweetening the deal, now!"