Mortal Wounds, Neagtive/Positive Hit Points, and Healing Magic

True or False…
If a character drops to 0 or less HP, healing spells don’t give him back HP, but instead lets him roll on the Mortal Wounds table.
That seems to be what the example with Marcus the fighter on page 104 seems to imply, but I can’t seem to find that fact clearly stated anywhere.
While I’m on the subject, what would the Mortal Wounds modifier be for someone who was treated later than one round after injury but before combat was over. Would it be +0?
Thanks in advance!

Also does higher levels of Healer Prof increase the bonus? I have a player with Healer 3 and I’m thinking it ought to be better than the first aid provided at level 1, even without triggering the cure wounds effect.

Another question: does the “level of healing magic” mean the level of the caster or the level of the actual spell used?
We’ve been using caster level because some magic doesn’t have levels (e.g. lay on hands).

Related questions: What qualifies as treatment? Does rushing over and trying to deal with the wounds without even Healing proficiency count?

We’ve been using mortal wounds check to loosely represent turning the body over and quickly assessing the actual damage. Listening at their mouth, checking their pulse, etc.
The bonus for Healing proficiency represents a quick CPR or chest thump to maybe give them a tiny edge of being alive at all.
But, it’s not actually treating the injuries. Just assessing how bad they actually are. Treatment comes after you assess their condition.
“He’s alive! We gotta get him to stable condition quick!” i.e. Restore to 1hp within 1 turn… or something.
I’m not sure if this is correct, but we usually allow the use of spells and lay on hands that heal damage and apply this bonus to the Mortal Wounds check. We only actually “heal hp” from those things once we determine if the character is even alive.

If a character drops to 0 or less HP, healing spells don’t give him back HP, but instead lets him roll on the Mortal Wounds table.
APM: First, the healing spell provides a bonus to the roll on the Mortal Wounds table. Then the table is consulted. If the roll on the table is 16+, the character is returned to 1hp, regardless of how low his hp were or what spell was cast. However, if the roll on the table is between 1-15, then the healing is applied to the character’s current hit points. This will usually leave the character with negative hp, which must then be further healed within a particular time frame or the character will die. If the healing would be sufficient to return the character to positive hp, at most the character can be raised to 1hp until all required bed rest is completed.
While I’m on the subject, what would the Mortal Wounds modifier be for someone who was treated later than one round after injury but before combat was over. Would it be +0?
APM: It’s +0 in that case.

Also does higher levels of Healer Prof increase the bonus? I have a player with Healer 3 and I’m thinking it ought to be better than the first aid provided at level 1, even without triggering the cure wounds effect.
APM: Higher level of healing does not increase the bonus. The higher level of Healer might allow the healer to perform the equivalent of a cure light wounds or cure serious wounds, however.

nother question: does the “level of healing magic” mean the level of the caster or the level of the actual spell used?
We’ve been using caster level because some magic doesn’t have levels (e.g. lay on hands).
APM: Level of healing magic means the equivalent spell level. For example cure light wounds or a potion of healing are level 1. For laying on hands, use the character’s level.

Related questions: What qualifies as treatment? Does rushing over and trying to deal with the wounds without even Healing proficiency count?
APM: Yes, that counts. As MichaelPfaff stated, “the mortal wounds check represents turning the body over and quickly assessing the actual damage. Listening at their mouth, checking their pulse, etc. The bonus for Healing proficiency represents a quick CPR or chest thump to maybe give them a tiny edge of being alive at all.has exactly stated what is going on. The character is being checked to see if he’s alive or dead.”
APM: My players call this “Schrodinger’s Cleric” as the incapacitated PC is neither alive nor dead until someone triggers the mortal wounds check…

“If the roll on the table is 16+, the character is returned to 1hp, regardless of how low his hp were or what spell was cast.”
Further questions…
Assume a character is at --say-- 0hp, cure light wounds is cast on them, and the Mortal Wounds roll is 16-25, then:

• Does the cure light wounds that was already cast count as the magical healing required by the table?
  • Is the hp recovery limited to 1hp, or is that just the minimum guaranteed by the Mortal Wounds roll? Can the spell that was already cast restore more than that?

((For laying on hands use, use the character’s level.))
Holy cow, seriously?! That suddenly makes Lay on Hands much more powerful. I guess it pays to be the chosen warrior of the gods!

• Does the cure light wounds that was already cast count as the magical healing required by the table?
    APM: Yes
  • Is the hp recovery limited to 1hp, or is that just the minimum guaranteed by the Mortal Wounds roll? Can the spell that was already cast restore more than that?
    APM: It’s limited to 1hp.