New Class: Sha'ir

Hey everyone,

I posted a link to this in my thread on Al-Qadim stuff, but I figured I might be better served by posting this to it’s own thread.

I’ve (mostly) made my own version of a sha’ir class. This is loosely based on, but not a direct translation (maybe it should be called a transliteration) of the class in the 2nd Edition AD&D campaign setting of Al-Qadim. The version there was considerably more complex and powerful (especially toward the end where it felt like it was getting into “epic level” stuff). I didn’t feel like that fit very well with ACKS in either respect, so I made my own version quite a bit less complex and a little more “down to earth” in it’s power level.

I still have some details to work out (like the cost of contracting with a new genling familiar, or if that should be in there at all, maybe just make it a “you have to wait until you level up” thing), and I’m open to a suggestions and critiques on any areas. This was made mostly just for myself on a snowy day as I got curious about the process of making new classes, but it was in my head because my group is playing an ACKS game in a Al-Qadimish setting. I think the group is actually going to go another way for the version of the sha’ir we’re going to use in our game, but I still like my version and would like to hone and improve it a bit anyway, even if it’s just for my own interest. I also figured it’s good to have it out there for others to see, look at, and modify as they see fit for their own uses.

Anyway without further adieu here is the class: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B9SlwQ6OOnX9OlzToPbZE6aDzx7V-IZImQNjqoV_2fM/edit?usp=sharing

The spellcasting mechanic is super flavorful.

I’d never been all that familiar with Al-Qadim, but I do see a connection to Jack Vance’s ‘sandestin’ style magic from Dying Earth and Lyonesse.

Which I guess makes this curve right back to being actually “Vancian”. Heh.

Thanks! The Al-Qadim spellcasting mechanic is a lot more complicated, and includes the option to (potentially) get divine spells too, but I thought I’d try to distill things down to essentials and make it as simple and easy to run as possible while still being interesting and flavorful. Glad to hear you think I succeeded!

Thanks! The Al-Qadim spellcasting mechanic is a lot more complicated, and includes the option to (potentially) get divine spells too, but I thought I’d try to distill things down to essentials and make it as simple and easy to run as possible while still being interesting and flavorful. Glad to hear you think I succeeded!

All of that being said, if you have any questions, comments or suggestions for improvements I’m very open to them!

I love this!

Any chance I can use something inspired by this for a Gecko-Man Spirit-Talker for my Barbarian Conqueror King setting book?

Absolutely! Use it however you’d like! It’s here in the spirit of sharing with the community, for whatever uses anyone might have for it. Take it wholesale, and or make any changes you need or want to make. I’d be very interested to see what you make out of it!

Thanks!