Resting 1 turn in 6 during exploration

Does anyone use the rule that a party must rest 1 turn in 6 during exploration? If so, what does it add to the game. Having a hard time justifying this rule is worth including or not. Seems like an unnecessary tax to just have the party say “we rest” every 6 turns.
There is the Endurance proficiency that plays with this, but unless your whole party has this proficiency it seems that it will rarely be important.
Or am I missing something that this rule brings? Has it brought anything to your game?

I do use it. The way I handle it is that as I run the game, I mark off slashes per turn
I
II
III
IIII
IIII/
(the above is supposed to be the five-slash through the four marks.)
I then treat that as an hour. And I start with another set of slashes.
I assume the 1 turn of rest covers the typical amount of time my group spends arguing about stuff.

Interesting, so you just account for the turn of rest in your time tracking, you are not actually requiring the players to state they are taking a turn to rest?

We use it in my group.

It brings a little more tension to delves and typically adds one minute per delve-hour of saying where in the room we stand/sit to rest.

Wandering monsters can show up (or choose to engage if they were already stalking the party), so we spend some time thinking about which dungeon rooms might be defensible as we go.

It increases the value of some proficiencies, as you mention. Endurance is valuable, though we don’t have it on every character. The ones who have it stand sentry during the downtime. Thieves with endurance take it as an opportunity to scout. It combines very well with Alertness and Combat Reflexes for that purpose on any character.

Familiars could scout as well, and our DM has dogs, especially hounds, provide some early warning.

Like Archon, I don’t require players to state they’re resting; I just assume it unless they state otherwise. They do occasionally press on if they feel they can take the risk, but it’s rare for them to do so.

Oh, I should mention that the party’s paladin does have the endurance proficiency, and so can go without the rest - which is handy for him, since it means he can keep his 1-turn-to-activate Detect Evil ability going at all times.

Correct! I just handle it implicitly.

Easiest way to track turns in dungeon play is with poker chips (the good ones). I use a stack of 5 alternating between white and blue followed by a stack of red:

WBWBW RRRRRRR

I add a chip to the stack for each turn. When a blue chip comes up it is time for a wandering monster check. When I hit a red chip it is time for a rest, a new torch AND a wandering monster check. I then start all over again, stacking the chips on the red chip.

It also helps me easily track total time as each red chip is an hour. I have never forgotten a wandering check or torch failure since it is automated.