So, was Spell Storing this broken in B/X?

So an arcane caster can cast the 6 spells into the piece of jewelry, but then that spell slot is spent until it is cast from the item? Is that the intended mechanic?

This makes it much less broken imho. Still useful but not doubling the arcane caster’s spell casting ability.

Agreed. Here’s how we ruled it:

1. “One day” = “until the spellcaster rests”.
  2. Spell Storing and Rings of Spell Storing requires the user to cast a spell following all normal procedures (gesturing, speaking, possibility for interruption, declaration prior to initiative, etc.).

This all works without changing any of the text! I feel much better now.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Isn’t this a critical limitation? I’m not sure I’d even need the houserules about casting and interruption. Sure, the high-level caster can put a lot of spells there, but they’re coming out as weak as when she first learned them. For some spells this isn’t a problem, but for the most obvious abuses it really reduces the power.

Tom, the minimum caster level thing is not my doing. That’s part of the spell / item itself. I didn’t change that.

As for the same limitations as casting the spell normally, our interpretation is that the item doesn’t not replicate the spell effect itself, the item imparts the ability to cast those spells, literally granting the user the ability to cast those spells as if they were a magic user. This way, a 1st Level Fighter with a Ring of Spell Storing suddenly isn’t better than the Mage who actually cast the spell in the first place because he can activate it instantly, not be interrupted, etc. Secondly, it prevents Mages from abusing the spell in order to circumvent those restrictions entirely themselves.

Our ruling is based around focusing on the intent of the spell to allow non-casters to be able to cast these spells and the Mage to be able to “hand off” some of his casting ability, like Witness said above.

I’m with Michael. Looking at the Ring of Spell Storing, it has this to say:

“When a character puts the ring on, he automatically
gains the knowledge of which spells are already stored, and may
cast them as if a spellcaster
of the minimum level required to
cast the spell.”

So, does that include chanting and arm-waving and attracting missile fire for a round?

You remembered your plate mail, right?

This is absolutely the correct interpretation. The ring of spell storing does NOT function like a wand or staff where the wielder can move and discharge it.

Hey Alex,

Would you allow a Zaharan ruinguard to use his channeling powers by sacrificing spells he has access to from spell storing?

I would, yes, and I'd call that an awesome emergent use of the spell!

In our game, yes. High initiative has been HUGE in our campaign.