Wilderness Encounter - Dragon

With the new lairs per hex suggestion, I’ve begun stocking the hexes around the PCs’ new domain with monster lairs, and I keep rolling Dragon, followed by Dragon* on the dragons subtable. I’m curious what the best way to determine the HD of such randomly generated laired dragons is; I’ve been using 1d20, rounding age up to the next highest category, but am curious what the Autarchs use in this situation. The Dragon monster entry is unhelpful in this regard, providing not even the barest suggestions :frowning:

I would recommend using 2d4:

2 - Spawn

3 - V. Young

4 - Young

5 - Juvenile

6 - Adult

7 - Mature Adult

8 - Old

If you roll an 8, roll 1d6-3. On a 1, the dragon is Very Old, on a 2 Ancient, and on a 3 Venerable.

That should give a breakdown of:

6.25% Spawn

13% V Young

18.75% Young

25% Juvenile

18.75% Aduilt

13% Mature

3.125% Old

1% Very Old

1% Ancient

1% Venerable

Aw, OK. I can hear my players sighing in relief from across the internet :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s a good idea. I like the grouping.

[quote="Alex"]

I would recommend using 2d4:

2 - Spawn

3 - V. Young

4 - Young

5 - Juvenile

6 - Adult

7 - Mature Adult

8 - Old

If you roll an 8, roll 1d6-3. On a 1, the dragon is Very Old, on a 2 Ancient, and on a 3 Venerable.

That should give a breakdown of:

6.25% Spawn

13% V Young

18.75% Young

25% Juvenile

18.75% Aduilt

13% Mature

3.125% Old

1% Very Old

1% Ancient

1% Venerable

[/quote]

Well, how about that.  I've just been rolling a d10, but something felt off enough about that for me to go searching.

Awesome! I'll update my random encounter generator... looking at it, my weights were almost the same, within a few percent. Still, nice to have official numbers :-)