In-Character 2b Oh, what a tangled web we weave...

Heading in the opposite direction, Masov, Miska, and Gwydion pass the Silver Scale Inn and quickly reach the wall surrounding Baron Mallory’s manor-house. Following north along the embankment at the foot of the wall for a few minutes, you reach the northern limit of the town’s palisade. A few dozen feet from the manor’s wall sits a small, single-story stone cottage, built with its back against the palisade. The building appears well-maintained, its roof newly thatched, and the sides freshly white-washed. A quick glance around shows an old woman up the street, listlessly sweeping the porch of another home perhaps a hundred feet away.

The door to the cottage is closed, as are the shutters.

Gwydion

Gwydion considers the cottage for a long minute, noting its excellent condition and ears straining for noise that might indicate the presence of people inside.

Finally, he approaches the cottage and raps on the door twice.

Masov

…will follow, behind and to the left; keeping an eye for movement at the shutters.

Miska follows up as well, making certain his holy symbol is prominent on his chest.

[quote="Gwydion"] Gwydion considers the cottage for a long minute, noting its excellent condition and ears straining for noise that might indicate the presence of people inside. [/quote]

Gwydions strains as the others halt behind him, but no sound comes from within the cottage.

[quote="Masov"] Masov will follow, behind and to the left; keeping an eye for movement at the shutters. [/quote]

[quote="Miska"] Miska follows up as well, making certain his holy symbol is prominent on his chest. [/quote]

[quote="Gwydion"] Finally, he approaches the cottage and raps on the door twice. [/quote]

The sound of the elf's knocking reverberates from the hollow space behind the door. No movement comes from the closed shutters, and Gwydion's sharp rapping goes unanswered.

…does that mean it’s actually up against/touching the palisade wall? If it’s not clear from our approach, I’ll circle around at a medium distance around the corner of the cottage to see if it does touch.

Gwydion

Gwydion joins Masov, keen to see if something strange might be discovered around the cottage.

The space behind the cottage is fairly unremarkable: a small gap exists between the palisade and the building, perhaps large enough for you to squeeze through, though it would doubtless be uncomfortable. The gap is littered with leaves and other debris, all of it mouldering due to the runoff from the cottage’s thatched roof. There are no windows on the ground floor, but there is one, shuttered, on the second floor, just above the top of the palisade.

Miska remains by the door, a beatific smile on his face, as if this was a religious call.

Masov

Masov cranes his neck around to get a good look at the shutters; perhaps to see werar and tear; or any scuffing at the palisade wall to indicate someone hopping over. He takes note of the distance we’ve come in order to see if it’d be possible later to approach the house from the opposite side of the wall; then comes back around to Gwydion.

‘Seems like they’re out?’

Gwydion

Gwydion frowns and then considers the woman down the street, curious if she seems friendly.

[quote="Miska"] Miska remains by the door, a beatific smile on his face, as if this was a religious call. [/quote]

[quote="Gwydion"] Gwydion frowns and then considers the woman down the street, curious if she seems friendly. [/quote]

The woman finishes her sweeping, finally looking up and noticing you. She stares hard for a few moments, then clearly starts as if in fright. She makes the gesture of the evil eye in your direction, before fleeing into the cottage from which she came, he eyes never leaving you as she retreats.

[quote="Masov"] Masov cranes his neck around to get a good look at the shutters; perhaps to see werar and tear; or any scuffing at the palisade wall to indicate someone hopping over. He takes note of the distance we've come in order to see if it'd be possible later to approach the house from the opposite side of the wall; [/quote]

Looking carefully, you notice much of the greenish algae from the roof runoff has been scraped away from the ledge beneath the rear window, as well as the top of the palisade opposite.

[quote="Masov"] Masov then comes back around to Gwydion.

'Seems like they're out?' [/quote]

And us without any of our second-story men.

Masov

I lean into Gwydion and under my breath, Looks like they use the back window rather than the front door. May need Kaul to check that out, or perhaps we ought to see what this cottage abuts to on the other side of the palisade.

Gwydion

“Well done, Masov. Sharp eyes. I wonder if it is not a good sign that the woman fears me. Such superstition would be unlikely were she connected to the town’s difficulties.” Gwydion ponders a moment. “Perhaps I should wait here, and you try to speak with her?”

Masov

‘Perhaps. I’m just as likely to be assumed ensorcelled, but we’ll give it a shot.’

Masov strolls over to the cottage, and effects what will attempt to be a light, respectful knock upon the door.

‘My good woman,’, he calls softly, ‘we’re here to help. I’d like to inquire about your neighborhood, and any troubles in the same.’

[quote="Masov"] Masov strolls over to the cottage, and effects what will attempt to be a light, respectful knock upon the door.

'My good woman,', he calls softly, 'we're here to help. I'd like to inquire about your neighborhood, and any troubles in the same.' [/quote]

The door is pulled slightly ajar, and a round white face topped by a severe bun of black hair appears. The woman at first appears terrified, but her look eases somewhat after she sees you, though she still seems very wary.

"Thought you one of the elves, I did...what do you want? And who sent you to 'help', then?"

Masov

‘Oh, not I’, Masov smiles, tapping the humanly rounded top tip of his ear. ‘We’ve arrived from Blackmarsh; a trading friend of ours had heard concerns of strange goings-on on the island. And, these days being what they are, we came to take stock of what was going on.’

‘So…elves…’ Masov conspiratorially whispers, side-eyeing the elven cottage. ‘I’m told they’ve taken up residence across the way there. Between you and I, I don’t think that’s quite proper. They seem to be keeping up appearances, but we know how appearances are, eh? No one can seem to tell us what they’re up to.’

[quote="Masov"] 'Oh, not I', Masov smiles, tapping the humanly rounded top tip of his ear. 'We've arrived from Blackmarsh; a trading friend of ours had heard concerns of strange goings-on on the island. And, these days being what they are, we came to take stock of what was going on.' [/quote]

The woman squints as Masov, screwing up her face as if chewing a lemon, "I thought I saw an elf with you by the cottage, then..." she glances away, trying to look up the street, but likely can't see anything from her position behind her door.

[quote="Masov"] 'So...elves...' Masov conspiratorially whispers, side-eyeing the elven cottage. 'I'm told they've taken up residence across the way there. Between you and I, I don't think that's quite proper. They seem to be keeping up appearances, but we know how appearances are, eh? No one can seem to tell us what they're up to.' [/quote]

"Fae and tricksy things! Not natural, says I!" the woman again attempts to look up the street towards the other cottage, "Coming and going by dark, they are. And what are they doing by night when normal folk are abed? Up to no good, I tell you! Stealing folk in the night, or putting a spell on our dear Lord Mallory..." she seems genuinely upset by this last thought, clasping her hand before her and looking as if she might weep. Finally, composing herself, she continues, "Things have not been right since those..." she waves her hand errantly, searching for words, "...things showed up. Solis bless you and yours if you can rid us of them!"

Masov

'My dear, dear lady - do not worry for our Lord Mallory; he is a man of stout and singular purpose. We had indeed just left his august presence, and had pledged to him that we would end these tragedies."

Masov pauses; looks her in the eye.

"To be truthful, we've been worried. Those we've spoken to, until now, have had all manner of tale to tell, and few augured near the truth. You, though, you true daughter of Orleans, faithful subject of Lord Mallory, may have what we need to break this spell. Coming and going by dark; certainly interrupting your rest - has this been nightly? Have they been so bold as to traipse past your home, or had they headed the other direction?"

[quote="Masov"] 'My dear, dear lady - do not worry for our Lord Mallory; he is a man of stout and singular purpose. We had indeed just left his august presence, and had pledged to him that we would end these tragedies." [/quote]

"Ohhh, praise be to the sun above!" she pushes the door open and shakes her clenched hands towards the sky, "We have lived in fear this long time, wondering why our Lord Mallory could not protect us! The tale was told that mayhap these...elves...had clouded our Lord's very mind!"

[quote="Masov"] Masov pauses; looks her in the eye.

"To be truthful, we've been worried. Those we've spoken to, until now, have had all manner of tale to tell, and few augured near the truth. You, though, you true daughter of Orleans, faithful subject of Lord Mallory, may have what we need to break this spell. Coming and going by dark; certainly interrupting your rest - has this been nightly? Have they been so bold as to traipse past your home, or had they headed the other direction?" [/quote]

"Yes! Near every night," her eyes go wide as she relates what she has seen, "and a fortnight before, carrying something back to their cottage. A bundle of some kind, size of a child," what little composure she had begins to fail, "Gave me a fright, wondering what was under that black cloth! I ducked behind the shutter, lest they see me and carry me off! Then, worse still, Neddy's children were gone. Gone! No children that young could leave. What if...what if..." a tear traces its way down the woman's weathered cheek, and the look in here eyes is one of pleading.

The woman grabs Masov's sleeve, "Will you see to them, m'Lord? Will you keep them fae away from us simple folk?"