Things (Better?) Left Unknown

This thread is for listing things we think about wanting to know about Dwimmermount. I'll update as we either find out or decide we want it left undefined.

Here are some of mine:

1. How do doors work?
  2. What are the known random dungeon encounters?
  3. What are the known random wilderness encounters?
  4. How far is it from Muntsburg to the dungeon entrance?
  5. Where do the Red Gate and the other entrance to the Path of Mavors emerge onto the mountain?
  6. What is thulian chain?
  7. What is the scarab of death?
  8. What are the factions on each level?
  9. Does anyone ride the elevator between levels 1 and 5?
  10. What are the known rival parties?
  1. What is the scarab of death?

I don’t know for ACKS, but looking at the D&D3.5 SRD (text reproductible under the OGL), it’s definitely not a good thing:

"This small pin appears to be any one of the various beneficial amulets, brooches, or scarabs. However, if it is held for more than 1 round or carried by a living creature for 1 minute, it changes into a horrible burrowing beetlelike creature. The thing tears through any leather or cloth, burrows into flesh, and reaches the victim’s heart in 1 round, causing death. A DC 25 Reflex save allows the wearer to tear the scarab away before it burrows out of sight, but he still takes 3d6 points of damage. The beetle then returns to its scarab form. Placing the scarab in a container of wood, ceramic, bone, ivory, or metal prevents the monster from coming to life and allows for long-term storage of the item.

Strong abjuration; CL 19th; Craft Wondrous Item, slay living; Price 80,000 gp."

A couple for me:

1. Which reward would be appropriate for someone participating to the burial of the antechamber’s soldiers? (L1 R14)
  2. What does completing the statues achieve?

I also ruled that the scarab of death killed the wearer - poor Dewdrop Morningwood! Glad to see that my instincts guided me in the same way as the SRD, probably not coincidentally.

1. How high are the ceilings, unless otherwise noted?
  2. What is the composition of most walls? Of most of the space between walls? (Unless, of course, otherwise noted)
  3. What is the composition of most doors?

I have players that have a traditional delving tactic, passed down by generations of adventurers: to build nests in high ceilinged rooms to rest in. They also never rule out that once a level is “safe,” they can tunnel into any unopened rooms.

I heartily second the question re: factions on each level. It’s always great to have a paragraph summarizing and relating them to each other. Maybe give a recent interaction between them, for the PCs to find about through interrogation or perhaps stumble into.

I’ll try to answer these questions as best I can:

1. In the upper levels, most doors are made of hardwood, reinforced with metal and simply push open, unless they are locked. There are a few metal doors as well. In the lower levels, doors are more varied in appearance and operation. I discuss these things in some prefatory material not included with any of the drafts.

2. I have those charts and will make them available soon.

3. Ditto

4. Muntburg is about half a mile from Dwimmermount.

5. I’m not sure I understand the question. The Red Gate and “back” entrance to Dwimmermount are both located fairly high up the mountain, though.

6. Thulian chain is azoth-infused chain mail that, while non-magical, is effectively weightless. It also grants its wearer a +1 saving throw bonus against spells.

7. Scureuil above got the answer more or less correct.

8. There are a lot of factions in the mountain. I don’t want to reveal them all here, at least not until drafts of those levels are made available.

9. Not anymore :slight_smile:

10. In my campaign, there were three main rival parties: The Hawksmen, who were “official” adventurers sponsored by the Despot of Adamas, a group of Thulians from Volmar (a successor state of the once-great empire which survives in the south and is under siege by hobgoblin hordes), and Termaxian cultists, who are keen to reach the lower levels.

11. That’s a bit of text I didn’t finish, obviously :slight_smile: When corrected, the boon will be noted as a one-time doubling of damage dealt against an opponent. The boon can be saved for later use, but, once used, is gone.

12. It depends on which statue. I have a chart that lists all the different boons. In the case of Tyche, it grants a permanent +1 bonus to all saves vs. poison.

13. Generally, ceilings about about 8-10’ tall.

14. Most walls are carved directly from the stone of the mountain, so there’s not usually much space between them, unless specifically hollowed out for some purpose. Some walls are more smooth than others, particularly the upper levels.

15. Hardwood reinforced with metal generally, though some are made of metal (this is generally noted)

I’d like to know how the various secret doors work. That is:

• How are these portal worked into the surrounding walls?
  • How do they open up? Pivot/swing on a vertical axle, slide up, slide horizontally, etc.?
  • What are the opening mechanisms? Loose stone that is manipulated? Handles someplace? Just physically pushing the door itself? Magical response to knocking? Vocalizations (“Open sesame”)?
  1. How are we to imagine lights which are part of control panels (like that described in 2A-14) - are they magical in nature, alchemical, …? Are there glass bulbs around them?
  2. How do Thulian latrines work (like that described in 2A-35)?
  3. Does a Termaxian passkey look anything like a key, or could they be mistaken for ‘baubles’ easily (like the orc in 2A-36 does)?
  4. Do the glow bulbs (described in 2A-44) work indefinitely, or do they run out of liquid? If the latter is the case, how long do they emit light?

Thanks very much, James - I am really enjoying what I have read so far.

1. What sort of tactical behavior does an eldritch bones have?

I know from reading Grodnardia that it’s a construct, not an undead. I can only assume the final product will have descriptive text for new monsters somewhere?

I ruled they formed a block formation and marched to their death against the PC bottleneck. Basically, they made a military formation and fought like well trained soldiers, which I figured was about what the Romanesque Thulians would have trained them to do. (Well, they took two PCs with them. Forever shall be mourned Leandranar the Elf and Cael the Fighting-Woman. Ok, actually, they just got five of Cael’s teeth and one of Leandranar’s hands once healing rolls were done.)