Axioms 4: PITCHING BATTLE!

My question pertains to the Axioms 4 article,

PITCHING BATTLE!
A REVISED APPROACH FOR ABSTRACT BATTLE RESOLUTION USING DOMAINS AT WAR: CAMPAIGNS

Firstly, great article methinks. It hits my sweet-spot for what I want. However, much like much of ACKS, it's coolness is a bit beyond my pay grade (but that's exactly a main reason why I love ACKS; it's solid).

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I can't figure it out. I understand most of the article, but, where I get confused is the BPC (Battle Phase Countdown) track. I understand almost everything up until I get to the visual aid shown in the next article where it illustrates a BPC track. I understand the Starting Count section. But where I get lost is the other track that goes 0-8, then says, End of Battle. I didn't see any mention in the article about 8 phases or the battle ending after 8 phases. Note that I read most of Resolving Battles in Campaigns at War (but it was quite some time ago) & I don't recall any mention of it either. 

How does this BPC track itself work exactly? The 0-8 track with End of Battle confuses me (I know where to start, but. . . ) Does a battle end after 8 phases? End of the battle turn? I thought a battle turn was 10 phases?

Thanks.

Hi Myke! You set the BPC to the starting count based on terrain and start at missile phase. You then increase or decrease the BPC by 1 to 2, depending if the armies advance, withdraw, etc. If the BPC hits 0 then you proceed to skirmish phase. If the BPC hits double the base, you end the battle. The counter goes up to 8 because the highest possible starting BPC is usually 4, so 8 is twice that. Hope that helps!

Hiya!

Ah!

That's great news, to me. I quite like this article. It hits my sweet-spot for what I want to do (to be in between a full-blown war game but more than what is in D@WC)

Another questions I have pertains to of the Missile Phase: i. If both armies withdraw, increase the BPC by 2. If the BPC is now equal to or greater than twice the starting count, the battle ends in a draw. Neither army is allowed to pursue the other.

What if in the above the BPC is NOT equal to or greater than twice the starting count? Unlike other entries like this that direct me to another step, this one doesn't (and I'm sure for good reason), & I draw a blank. What is the outcome?

Just return to step 1b above and conduct another missile phase!

Thanks!

This game is awesome btw. I find it SO sound. Some of it is beyond my pay grade (I'm a stoner), but when I do grok something I couldn't figure out, it's like I'm handed a big reward. Plenty of games offer me options, but ACKS offers me options + soundness. There's so many broken game elements in other (cool) games it greatly frustrates me. In other games, I find myself having to read 1,000 threads & make 100+ house rules to feel better (and you don't want me designing games, surely). I rather spend my time more wisely. Of course, it's all about fun, but soundness is a big part of my fun.

You're doing a great job with this game imo, and I can't get enough. And you seem like a person who cuts through the BS, in general.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the very kind words, Myke! I appreciate it.

Are you a member of our DISCORD community? We have lively discussion there you might enjoy.

I heard about the Discord and some insightful ACKS discussions that were happening, but I don't know jack about Discord (what it is exactly). I definitely want to figure it all out. If someone can point me in the right direction, I'm there Claire!

[quote="Myke"]

I heard about the Discord and some insightful ACKS discussions that were happening, but I don't know jack about Discord (what it is exactly). I definitely want to figure it all out. If someone can point me in the right direction, I'm there Claire!

[/quote]

Sent you an invite.  Let me know if you have any trouble using the invite link.

Cool deal. Yes, it worked. Thanks!