Can We Talk About Spears Again?

Uh, isn't the rule that Fighter & those who use their attack progression cleave at 1 level - 1 Cleave? And everyone else is at 1/2 level - 1 cleave? It makes perfect sense to me that a Fighter can cleave at level 1, but no-one else can (as honestly their martial superiority is not nearly as pronounced at low levels).

Fighter-types get 1 Cleave per level, not 1/2 a Cleave, so it's a non-issue. 1st level Fighters and similar have 1 Cleave at 1st level, and non-Fighter classes do not Cleave at 1st level. In my experience it really makes Fighters stand apart in ACKS, right out of the gate.

For what it's worth, I've kept it simple and simply ruled that you can't cleave with spears at all. I still have 3 out of 4 of my players with characters/hirelings/henchmen using spears in every session since the ruling.

Okay, so with the hack mentioned above, a zero level henchman, a 2nd level (but not 3rd level) cleric and a 1st level fighter are all in the same boat with respect to NOT getting a cleave while using a spear, yes?

Maybe this still makes thematic sense seeing that the 1st level fighter is a "Veteran".

"Sure a spear is a fine weapon for you pressed serfs, but I'm not using it if I'm in the front rank."

As I look through all the B-modules and ponder the goblin guard posts where there are a couple goblins with spears and with a clear path to the front rank, it occurs to me this hack would be a great kindness to player characters (removing spear cleave from 1st level fighter progression). Sure those two measly charging spear goblins are going to drop the front line at the dungeon entrance, but this hack would meant they don't also go on to immediately drop the second rank of PCs.

The 2HD spear-carrying gnolls on the 2nd level though? Yeah, you're still doomed against them.

You know what, Beragon? I think that's what I'm going to rule. Nice and simple. I think that's about right because I might still carry and default to a spear even as a second level Fighter, switching to my axe or sword after the first round.

Still totally worth the extra stone. If it's sundered during the adventure, if I need to leave it behind to run or because I've accumulated treasure, I've still got my sword.

[quote="Beragon"]

For what it's worth, I've kept it simple and simply ruled that you can't cleave with spears at all. I still have 3 out of 4 of my players with characters/hirelings/henchmen using spears in every session since the ruling.

[/quote]

This is great. I think I'm going with this too. Balances nicely with the extra damage and versatility of spears. Simple and clean. Thanks.