Class Distribution of NPCs

Is there a table somewhere that details the approximate make-up of NPCs in terms of class?

I know most leveled NPCs are going to be fighters, but what proportion of them do other things?

There’s a table for NPC parties in the Secrets chapter, but this distribution is one of the things that really describes your campaign setting (and thus varies). Are you thinking about hirelings, encounters, or rulers?

I’m trying to figure out the break-down of the various high leveled characters in a kingdom. This is from Teucer’s Palladins of Pippin campaign. For instance, Aquitaine has a population of 3,000,000 people which translates to 50 level 9, 19 level 10, 7 level 11, 3 level 12, and 1 level 13 persons.

I’m hoping to use the information to help flesh out the campaign, and we’ll likely be adjusting whatever figures would be true for the Auran empire, as our campaign is nearly lacking in wizards, and is at a complete lack for elves. Ogier the Dane, however is pretty short.

Reaching a high level would necessarily involve raising a lot of cash (according to the game rules) however this could be accomplished via adventuring, ruling an estate, conquest, church revenues, merchanting, larceny, etc which may skew the list of character classes at high level a bit and may also include non PC classes to a significant degree (merchants, nobles, beaurocrats).

That table you mentioned for encounters gives the following probabilities (rounded to nearest %):
Elven Nightblade: 2%
Elven Spellsword: 3%
Explorer: 5%
Blade Dancer: 7%
Cleric: 10%
Fighter: 37%
Thief: 12%
Mage: 10%
Assassin: 7%
Bard: 5%
Dwarven Vaultguard: 3%
Dwarven Craftpriest 2%

On a similar note, it would be useful to be able to figure out the approximate age of characters based on level. Assuming we’re looking at the exceptional few who achieve high level, then maybe starting age + (level/1d4) years? This gets most (previously selected for being exceptional) NPCs to level 9 by old age on average.

I made a 2D20 random table with the classes in the Players compendium for my campaign that was inspire by the one in the core book:

2 Beastmen
3 Beastmen
4 Beastmen
5 Thrassian Gladiator
6 Zaharan Ruinguard
7 Dwarven Machinist
8 Dwarven Fury
9 Dwarven Delver
10 Dwarven Craftpriest
11 Dwarven Vaultguard
12 Anti-Paladin
13 Warlock
14 Shaman
15 Barbarian
16 Priestess
17 Explorer
18 Bladedancer
19 Cleric
20 Fighter
21 Fighter
22 Fighter
23 Thief
24 Mage
25 Assassin
26 Bard
27 Venturer
28 Mystic
29 Witch
30 Paladin
31 Elven Spellsword
32 Elven Nightblade
33 Elven Enchanter
34 Elven Ranger
35 Elven Courtier
36 Nobirian Wonderworker
37 Gnomish Trickster
38 Fey
39 Fey
40 Fey

I made a table to use for the Class of Henchmen in our campaign since the availability table simply gives the level of the henchman (roll %100 and then d10 on sub-table):

Henchmen Class Availability

Roll Result (d100%) Henchman Class
1-40 Fighting Men (Roll on d10 Sub-Table)
1-5 Fighter
6-7 Barbarian
8-9 Explorer
10 Paladin
41-60 Rogues (Roll on d10 Sub-Table)
1-5 Thief
6-7 Assassin
8-9 Bard
10 Shadow Archer
61-75 Divine (Roll on d10 Sub-Table)
1-4 Cleric
5-6 Bladedancer
7-8 Priestess
9-10 Shaman
76-90 Arcane (Roll on d10 Sub-Table)
1-4 Mage
5-6 Mystic
7-8 Warlock
9-10 Witch
91-95 Dwarves and Gnomes (Roll on d10 Sub-Table)
1-2 Dwarven Vaultguard
3-4 Dwarven Craftpriest
5-6 Dwarven Delver
7-8 Dwarven Fury
9 Dwarven Machinist
10 Gnomish Trickster
96-100 Elves and Halflings (Roll on d10 Sub-Table)
1-2 Elven Spellsword
3-4 Elven Nightblade
5-6 Elven Ranger
7-8 Elven Enchanter
9 Elven Courtier
10 Halfling Wayfarer

Notes:
*Venturers are too independent to be henchmen.
*Anti-Paladins replace Paladins in Chaotic cities.
*In Elven or Dwarven lands, use only the Sub-Tables, however roll a d12 instead of a d10. On an 11-12 result, use the normal table (i.e. 11-12 are likely human).

These are great charts. Really useful stuff!