Constrictor/Python damage?

I’m confused about how much damage the Giant Python/Totem Animal Python actually does?

In the ACKS book description on page 193, the Giant Python is listed as doing 1d4/2d8 damage. The text reads, “(the Giant Python) attacks first with a bite, and on a successful hit it is also able to constrict a victim for an additional 2d4 points of damage.”

So the Python attacks with its bite, and if it hits does additional damage? or does the constriction attack also have to make an attack throw? Also, what is the damage the constriction does 2d8 or 2d4?

I understand that the Shaman version of the snake is a tiny version and does -1 damage per die. This seems to be very powerful, especially for a 1st level character.

According to BECMI a rock python constricts for 2d4 damage.

if the bite hits, the snake coils around the victim and automatically (and without making another attack throw) constricts in the same round. The snake then contiinues to constrict automatically in subsequent rounds. It can still bite while constricting.

At least that’s how i handle it.

oh by the way (can’t find it officially) - I tread contriction damage as continuous damage - so no concentration or spellcasting…

I agree that 1d4+2d8 is a bit much for a 1st Level Shaman. A -1 pt of damage for the other totem animals is Ok because they don’t deal 3 dice worth of damage on their attack (ok, the bear does… but it’s 1d3/1d3/1d6 vs. 1d4+2d8).

The constrictor in the book is supposed to be 20’ long. Ok, that makes sense. But, a 1/2 HD python should not be doing as much damage as a 20’ python…

I noted this elsewhere in errata; a giant python does 2d8 constrictor damage.

The problem with regard to the Shaman is that all of the other creatures on the list are normal sized, but the python is giant. I'll change the totem animal to a normal-sized (12') python with 4 HD dealing 2d6 constrictor damage.

2d6-2 is not an unreasonably large amount of damage - it's about equivalent to a two-handed sword (avg. of 3.5+3.5-2=5). 2d6+2 (3.5+3.5+2) will then work out to the same as the giant python.