Continual Light, Repertoire

Continual Light: indefinitely sustained by the caster without need for concentration.

Should that apply only so long as the spell is in the caster’s (arcane only, in the general case) repertoire?

The very concept of the repertoire demands that the caster would spend a few minutes reviewing the spell, which would then be the sustaining action for any ongoing light/dark effects.

Additionally; the concept of ‘repertoire effects’ has long appealed to me, and this would be a good solid built-in one.

So I lean towards yes, it should be in the repertoire to be sustained. Thoughts?

I agree completely! I like the idea of “Repertoire effects” and I look forward to your expansions on it

Yes! Masterful insight.

Repertoire effects seem awesome.

You know what else was awesome? Reserve feats.

I feel like these two things can be combined: Proficiencies that have an effect based on the spells in your repertoire.

What are Repertoire effects?

I don’t know at the moment what repertoire effects are. :slight_smile:

My kernel of thought is something extremely minor you can do because you have a spell in your repertoire.

The first example of this is if you have Continual Light in your repertoire, you can maintain a number of lights equal to your level.

I’d expect this would be for arcane casters only; but I run a game where divine/arcane are combined, so I’d want to do it for the divine-only spells as well.

Problem is, there’s a lot of spells, and fewer practical, low-power things to give each spell. Aryzymaraki’s idea of linking some to proficiencies may help in that regard - what if, say, knowing Fireball allowed the caster to aid in the production of Craft that required a forge, due to the caster’s ability to make that fire burn hotter/longer/cleaner?

There’s a series of this back on Hack & Slash that was interesting, and planted the idea in my mind.

They get a just a bit overpowered for ACKS in the later levels.

http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/search/label/series%20(memorization%20effects)

sounds reminiscent of the more general/story driven “ritual casting” in 13th age, or possibly an attempt to create more broad effects like the fun ways mages get to contribute to fort construction with spells like stone wall, move earth, and transmute rock to mud.

reference: http://www.13thagesrd.com/running-the-game#TOC-Rituals