Cost of Elephants

I'm building a world right now, and have included a few nomadic peoples. Four, in fact; the nomadic desert people, the horse people of the plains, the wanderers of the savanna, and the men of the frozen north. I've used this post to generate what flocks my various nomads have, and it's been a great help. The desert nomads use camels as noted, the horse people use horses (roughly 2:1 horses to camels; a camel costs 100 gp, as do two medium riding horses with saddles) and supplement their flocks with hunting. The north-men split their time between herding sheep and hunting, and depend on war dogs and hunting dogs. The wanderers of the savanna, however, prefer elephants, and there is where I got stuck. I can't seem to find a cost for elephants, either a flat price, or a good conversion between them and horses or camels. Tusks, sure, but not the elephants themselves, as working animals.

Domains at War: Campaigns or Lairs and Encounters have the cost for basically every living thing (as well as undead and golems), and the formulas to calculate them in case something is missing!

In the case of elephants, it’s 1,500 gp for a workbeast or 3,500 gp for a war elephant (D@W:Campaigns page 34). (Lair and Encounters has more detail on their values untrained, child, baby, etc, but as far as a trained adult, 1500 or 3500.)

Elephants are also listed in the Animals merchandise table on page 146 of the core rules: A load of elephant consists of a single elephant, costs 1,500 gp, and weighs 1,000 stone.

Arman, you need Lairs & Encounters and Domains at War, pronto! And a subscription to our Patreon, where we talk about economics!

That said, the guys above already gave you the right answer :)

[quote="Alex"] You need Lairs & Encounters and Domains at War, pronto! [/quote]

Is there any chance of either of those being available in print in the future? I seem to keep missing the Kickstarter campaigns for new books, so buying them after the fact is my only option.

Domains at War is on RPG Now. I imagine Lairs and Encounters will also go up when its done.

Not to derail the topic but I'd love to throw a vote in here for Autarch books to be available in print again. I'd love additional copies of the Players Companion, as well as Domains at War and Sinister Stone of Sakarra.

Just a thought...

Huh. I didn't even think to check there, and there it is. Thanks!

It's only up in .pdf form; I was asking about print versions. (I don't own a tablet or laptop, and my PC is way too bulky to bring to games, so .pdfs really aren't a great option for me.)

Ah yes, I can see how that would be an issue.

[quote="GMJoe"]

It's only up in .pdf form; I was asking about print versions. (I don't own a tablet or laptop, and my PC is way too bulky to bring to games, so .pdfs really aren't a great option for me.)

[/quote]

That's why you stay really late at work until you're the last person out and then use the office printer. It's also a great way to earn brownie points because you look dedicated. 

James,

If you have a Paypal account I can sell you a copy and ship from our fulfillment house. We're working on a full service online store but for now I'm doing it manually!

Alex