Effects of limiting equipment

Hi Folks. I’m considering limiting the high-end armors available in the ACKS setting I’m working on, specifically Plate Armor. What kind of impact would this have on balance in combat as the players progress?

I would recommend that you give classes that are normally eligible to wear plate armor one bonus proficiency from their class list; this will make up for the loss of access to plate armor.

Thanks for the response, Alex!

An interesting idea, limiting armour. Nice if you’re going for a particular flavour of game.

(Meandering Anecdote Time) A friend of mine runs a 2nd Ed AD&D game and he’s recently moved away from 1d20 for combat resolution to 2d10. With the changes that has on the probabilities it has a massive impact on your ability to hit a dude wearing Plate armour. Very flavourful. (/anecdote)

I like the trade off Alex suggests too.

The setting I’m working on is intended to have a more conan-esque feel to it. I had thought of removing Plate Armor from the game as none of the primary civilizations would have the know-how to make it, but one of my players pointed out that Bronze Plate Armor was within the technology limits of pre-BC eras. So, I opted to add in Bronze Plate with a higher encumbrance rating and lower cost than steel plate, and limit production of steel plate armor to the Dwarves.

The setting I’m working on is intended to have a more conan-esque feel to it. I had thought of removing Plate Armor from the game as none of the primary civilizations would have the know-how to make it, but one of my players pointed out that Bronze Plate Armor was within the technology limits of pre-BC eras. So, I opted to add in Bronze Plate with a higher encumbrance rating and lower cost than steel plate, and limit production of steel plate armor to the Dwarves.