Feedback on treasure generator?

I’m planning to build a preferences system into the treasure generator. This will make the code much more complex, and therefore harder to change in the future.

So I am soliciting feedback, and making sure it does things the way you folks would like it to, before I start cementing interface decisions.

So … what did I get wrong?

What did I get right and you’d rather I didn’t change?

What additional features would you like in the future? Is there anything missing?

Is there anything that would make it easier for you to use?

If you prefer to use the official generator, what can I do to show the official generator up? (heh.)

Any other feedback you’d like me to have?

I would combine the like coin lots into one entry (e.g. instead of 8 entries of 1000 coins a piece, I’d show 1 entry with 8000 coins). The “-” button for those lots would then remove 1k coins from the lot at a time until there are 1000 coins left (when it would act just like other “-” buttons)?

Also, I’m hoping you’ll keep/bring over all the nifty things you did with your Eire treasure generator.

The coin lots were originally combined—I only split them because I was having trouble thinking of a good way to manage the “-” buttons. Thank you! That will definitely make it in.

Re: the Eíre treasure generator: the default will always be the core rules; hopefully I can provide a preference for each of the Eíre things individually, so that if, for example, you want Player’s Companion spells included in scrolls, you hit a checkbox and it happens.

Cameron had also requested “more swingy, more rules-as-written” hoards. That would be another checkbox (although a much more complicated one :-).

Thomas Weigel wrote: So ... what did I get wrong?

What did I get right and you’d rather I didn’t change?

What additional features would you like in the future? Is there anything missing?

Is there anything that would make it easier for you to use?

If you prefer to use the official generator, what can I do to show the official generator up? (heh.)

Any other feedback you’d like me to have?

Wrong: I hate using the word “wrong,” but:

1. I’d like the swingier RAW results. Swingier hoards are just better - the “low” results get the same feelings either way (swingier hoards have lower lows, but from the player point of view, it’s just “low”; and less swingy hoards mean the low is closer to average, so the players feel low more often), but the swingier hoard brings more of that treasure-mad gleam to player eyes when a “high” result occurs.

2. I don’t know why, but it’s really hard to select the whole hoard and just cut-n-paste it. This is something the official generator does better.

Right: Everything else?

1. Please keep the treasure map results.

2. Please keep the re-roll, subtract, and add.

3. Please keep the fast.

4. Please keep the sub-section summaries of weight and gold. That’s really useful to me when I’m trying to tweak the exact value of a hoard. The add-and-subtract obviously hits my heartstrings here, too - this is how I use it!

Additional features:

1. Swingier hoards. Or the option to have them.

2. I really like the extra coin lot treasure options in Eire. I would like to second the request to put that in the main generator as an option.

3. 1e D&D gem generation. The ACKS gems are workable and simple to roll, but the generator doesn’t care about that, does it? And I have at least one player who wants more interesting gems. If someone else did the work for me, I’d be grateful ;-).

4. If, instead of treasure type, the generator accepted a monster name and produced the treasure type for that monster (i.e., Nx2), that would be really awesome.

5. In fact … why don’t you just write an ACKS game tool ;-). I kid, I kid, but it would be awful awesome.

Easier to use:

1. Cut-and-paste needs to be easier.

Showing the official generator up:

1. Cut-and-paste needs to be easier.

Other feedback:

1. Thank you for the tool. I obviously have no idea how much time programming takes or what kind of effort this particular tool took, but it has been a huge help to me already.

A swingier hoard option is planned.

The extra coin lot options will make it in.

1e gems? Where can those be found?

Monster name: That’s a thought. I will have to think about it, but noted.

General tool: Well, I have some thoughts about various specific tools, but it will depend on my personal free time - right now, the treasure generator and my home campaign planning are the only two free time activities I’m doing.

Cut and paste? Er… ah, I see what you mean. That’s a result of the text being editable, but not in a textarea field. I believe I can fix that, although it may take some work. At any rate, it’s a presentation issue, so I can fix it without touching the actual code.

Thanks for the feedback! I worry sometimes that no one’s giving feedback because no one’s using it ;-).

The 1e gems are in the DMG, p. 25.

I love the stat generator but would like to see them ordered as per ACKS (or OD&D) - Str, Int, Wis, Dex, Con, Cha.

Old habit. They are now ordered correctly.