In-Character 2 Oh, what a tangled web we weave...

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] "Your father is wise to hold his trust in reserve. But he does not have the advantage that you have, of having spent time with us and watching us act." [/quote]

​The Baronet seems to consider this, then nods slowly.

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] "That said, has your father always been slow to trust? If his attitudes have changed recently, in any way, it may be a sign. No one here believes that he is willingly a part of any of this, but he may be being enchanted or blackmailed in some way." [/quote]

​"Are suggesting you...believe these...peasants?" he sputters, incredulous, "My father would not fall for some hedge-wizard's charm! And woe to any that would try to blackmail him! He has merely been cautious, as any Lord should when ones enemies remain hidden."

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] "I can personally guarantee you that if there is any sort of cult or other shady activity at the temple, it is well-hidden, and the cleric we spoke to knows nothing of it, nor would she ever be party to such a thing if she did know." "And one final question for you; who is Hulbard?" [/quote]

​"Hulburd is a hermit living outside of town. He has long been rumored to have dark magic at his command, and he has been seen wandering about town and the temple by dark. My father suspects he might be responsible for the disappearances, using those he takes for his dark experiments. With no firm proof, my father has not charged him with any crime, which I believe is a mistake," the young man one again raises his chin, seemingly wanting to project the gravity of his own opinion, "If the man is a warlock, he should burn at the stake for what has happened."

[quote="Gwydion"] "I would suggest you control your temper, young lordling. You will learn more if you listen instead of speak. We have had little of candor since we came to Orleans." Gwydion frowns. "It is refreshing to have someone speak her mind... regardless of whether the sentiments she shares are in accord with your view of the world." Gwydion turns to his companions. "Shall we have her prepare a few rooms for us? Then, I think, we have a few more leads to pursue." [/quote]

​ The Baronet blushes sharply at Gwydion's reproach, but bites his tongue.

[quote="Masov"] Masov turns to the Baronet, "What about Hulgrud? How far away is his home?" [/quote] "You mean Hulburd? His lair is just outside town to the west, a short walk beyond the wall."

Hengist the Fair

“I wouldn’t mind meeting Hulburd, but the kid here needs to stay out of it if we want anything useful, so we can’t all go. And… Stephon, Leland and Neddy? I guess I’ll go introduce myself to Neddy. Anyone in?”

Hengist gathers up Dagmar and goes to look for the carpenter’s shop.

With a few more whispered words out the Baronet's earshot, and an agreed upon plan, the party calls goodbye to their hostess, Illyana, and heads back out into cool spring morning.

"Where do we find this...man, Hulburd?" Aria asks the Baronet, leaning in closer than decorum would normally allow, and he blushes slightly under her gaze.

"Uh...come with me, and I'll show you!" he says, beginning to walk towards the entrance to the palisade that the party first came through, pointing towards the forest beyond the wall, "He has a hovel out past the fields, there, north of where the path comes up from the pier..." Aria follows the young man, trailing Kerrick and Andrew close behind her.

"If you are looking for Neddy, we'll pass his shop on our way..." he calls over his shoulder to Hengist, who looks meaningfully at Kaul. He falls in behind the others, motioning with his head for Dagmar and Kaul to join them.

Masov, Miska, and Gwydion head off to the north, intending to cut along the wall of the Baron's estate to find the small cottage of the elves from Lady Rana's directions.

Masov, Miska, and Gwydion can go here: http://www.autarch.co/forums/adventurer-conqueror-king/blackmarsh-sandbox-pbp/character-2b-oh-what-tangled-web-we-weave

You pass several smaller buildings as you move up the street. There seem to be very few people about, particularly considering that it is now mid-morning. A few stray clouds scud across the sky, but the day is otherwise bright and clear, the tang of salt carried on a gentle breeze.

One of the buildings on your right is quite different from the others, missing its ground-level front wall. The ground floor is open to the street, and you can see stacks of wood and a number of tools scattered about the space. Above this area hangs a board cut in the shape of a saw-blade.

Hengist slows and heads towards the apparent workshop, with Dagmar close behind, but Kaul continues up the street past the next building. Waiting until the Baronet seems unaware, Kaul slips out of the road into the laneway between two buildings, intending to double-back towards the carpenter's shop.

Hengist and Kaul can go here: http://www.autarch.co/forums/adventurer-conqueror-king/blackmarsh-sandbox-pbp/character-2a-oh-what-tangled-web-we-weave

Continuing on behind the Baronet, Aria, Kerrick and Andrew reach the gate in the palisade they originally entered the town through. The party stops, leaving the young man to walk forward out the gate on his own. A moment passes, and then he pokes his head back through, a puzzled expression on his face.

"The old man is out this way..."

Kerrick Helmsworth

“Thank you, Baronet. Past the fields, north of where the path meets the pier, you said?”

“I fear that with the possibility of raiders, this is too dangerous for us to bring you along. We could not guarantee your safety. If you would like to wait at the inn, we’ll see you when we return; if not, we thank you for your help.”

Kerrick will wait for a response, and if none is forthcoming, nod and lead the party off in the direction indicated.

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] "Thank you, Baronet.  Past the fields, north of where the path meets the pier, you said?" [/quote]

"Yes. Follow me..."

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] "I fear that with the possibility of raiders, this is too dangerous for us to bring you along.  We could not guarantee your safety.  If you would like to wait at the inn, we'll see you when we return; if not, we thank you for your help." [/quote]

"I...but..." the Baronet glances helplessly at Aria, then back to Kerrick, "But they mostly come at night! Mostly..." the look on his face appears to be a mixture of confusion, and perhaps anger. Puffing out his chest, he glances sidelong at Aria as he speaks, "I'm not afraid!"

Kerrick Helmsworth

“It’s not about fear, son, it’s about responsibility. If we let you lead us out there, we’re responsible for your safety. And with raiders around, especially the way they have been, we need someone who knows where we went and what to do if we don’t come back.”

“You will be,” says Aria. “You will be.”

Aria cannot abide the lecture and though she thinks the boy will die she decides to invite him along.

“Let the boy come, Sir Helmsworth. If he dies to the sword, Venus will accept him into the heavens with the welcoming arms of a dozen battle-maidens. There are worse fates…”

​Seeing the party unwavering in the face of his display of bravado, the Baronet deflates at Aria's words like an air bladder with a puncture, "I'll... wait at the inn."

The young​ man moves back inside the gate, and watches as the party leaves. Heading across the open land between Orlean and the woods, you can see a scattering of locals labouring in the fields to prepare them for spring planting. The party is afforded a few wary glances, then ignored.

Following the path to the trees, you turn north into the woods. Ahead you can see the crowns of a stand of majestic oak trees, looming above the surrounding forest. As you move carefully through the woods, all is silence, broken only by the call of an owl.
Presently, as you move within a score of yards of the circle of oak trees, you spot what appears to be small hovel centered between them. Rocky walls, chinked with clay, support a simple roof of wood and pine-boughs. No one seems to be around.

As you stand considering the scene, a great horned owl drops from the trees, flapping its broad wings as it alights on the roof of the crude hovel.

"Hooo!" the bird calls, its wings half-spread.

"Alright! Alright! You needn't be so blasted rude, you mangy bird! I heard you the first time!"

The quavering voice seems to come from inside the hovel. The door, such as it is, swings open with a "Smack!" as an elderly man in a simple and very dirty, patched robe hobbles out, leaning on a twisted, stout wooden staff for support.

"Alright, now that you're her-" he stops mid-sentence as he looks up at you, his bushy eyebrows pushing down over his eyes, "Wait... weren't there nine of you up from the pier? I didn't expect to lose the rest of you quite so quickly..."

Kerrick Helmsworth

"We split up to cover more ground. Greetings, sir. I am Kerrick Helmsworth, and these are Aria and Andrew. It sounds like you might actually have some idea what is going on; can you tell us anything?

Because if so, that would be an enormous improvement over talking to everyone else thus far."

Aria
Aria salutes languidly. “Greetings, gentle elder.”

Andrew

Andrew adds his own greeting “Really, just this welcome is an improvement over what we’ve gotten so far. Wait you were expecting us to lose people?”

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] "We split up to cover more ground.  Greetings, sir.  I am Kerrick Helmsworth, and these are Aria and Andrew." [/quote]  

[quote="Aria"] Aria salutes languidly. "Greetings, gentle elder." [/quote]

"Well, as long as they haven't headed to the temple. Or the old inn. Or the other inn. Or maybe the manor. Or...well, anywhere in town, really..."

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] "It sounds like you might actually have some idea what is going on; can you tell us anything?

Because if so, that would be an enormous improvement over talking to everyone else thus far." [/quote]

The old man's bushy brows waggle up and down, "Alright! Come to ol' Hulburd for advice, eh? I told you you should've come here first!"

"Hooo!"

"No one's asking you, featherbrain!" he says, wagging his staff at the bird ineffectually, before continuing in a more conspiratorial tone, "Ignore the owl. He's a bit mad, you see."

"Hooo."

"Now, where was I? Oh, yes! I was about to tell you why you're doomed..." he pauses for dramatic effect, then draws himself up from his stooped posture, "Because there are dark things afoot in Orlean, that's why! Dark things shuffling about in the night. Dark things crawling from the temple. Dark things crawling into the temple. Dark things crawling into peoples' homes. Dark things crawling out of peoples' home...wait...who have you spoken to already?"

The old man becomes increasingly agitated, "Alright, really now... there might not be much time... who-have-you-talked-to?"

Kerrick Helmsworth

“Calm yourself, man. It has been a busy day and it may take a moment to remember.”

Kerrick thinks for a little more after speaking before nodding to himself.

“We have spoken to Constable Thorsdun, a farmer whose name I cannot recall, Lord Mallory, his son, a priestess at the temple, and a few other people around town.”

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] "Calm yourself, man.  It has been a busy day and it may take a moment to remember."

Kerrick thinks for a little more after speaking before nodding to himself.

"We have spoken to Constable Thorsdun, a farmer whose name I cannot recall, Lord Mallory, his son, a priestess at the temple, and a few other people around town." [/quote]

"Thorsdun? And you went to the temple? Of Solis?!" Hulburd begins eyeing you warily, and takes a shuffling step backwards towards his hovel, "No. No, no, no, no..." he says, raising his staff as if to ward you off.

"The elves are in league with it. They came from the temple, and went back to it! Did they drag you down into the dark beneath the earth? Warp your minds like the others?" he shouts this last, spittle flying from his lips, and appears ready to run as fast as his hobbled legs will carry him.

Kerrick Helmsworth

Kerrick raises his hands in a calming gesture. “Calm down. None of that happened. Although Thorsdun’s behavior was highly suspicious, and we suspected the temple as well, we could not find any evidence that there was anything going on there.”

“We did find that at the least, not everyone at the temple is aware of or involved with anything untoward. If there is truly something going on there, it is well-hidden, and it chose not to reveal itself while we were there.”

“We need to know more about it. We need to know how to find it, so we can go there and defeat it. This I swear to you by Thor’s hammer, we have not been corrupted, and we intend to find this force, or cabal, or whatever it is, and destroy it.”