In-Character 2 Oh, what a tangled web we weave...

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] Kerrick raises his hands in a calming gesture.  "Calm down.  None of that happened.  Although Thorsdun's behavior was highly suspicious, and we suspected the temple as well, we could not find any evidence that there was anything going on there." [/quote]

Hulburd cackles gleefully, "Old Aramis thinks I'm the root of the trouble he can't find! That fool couldn't find his own feet!"

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] "We did find that at the least, not everyone at the temple is aware of or involved with anything untoward.  If there is truly something going on there, it is well-hidden, and it chose not to reveal itself while we were there." [/quote]

Hulburd closes an eye and taps the side of his nose, "Then perhaps you need to look...deeper. There are darker, older things beneath the facade of the sun-worshippers."

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] "We need to know more about it.  We need to know how to find it, so we can go there and defeat it.  This I swear to you by Thor's hammer, we have not been corrupted, and we intend to find this force, or cabal, or whatever it is, and destroy it." [/quote]

"Oh, alright! If that's truly what you have in mind, I might be of some aid. If you need succor, you can return here...if you promise to aid me should Aramis get too big for his britches!"

"Well? Was there something else? Shouldn't you be...I don't know, doing something?"

Kerrick Helmsworth

Kerrick shakes his head. “My apologies, I was thinking. When you suggest going deeper under the temple, it sounds like you have knowledge that you are only hinting at. Do you know any specific entrances to the tunnels that you are suggesting exist?”

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] Kerrick shakes his head. "My apologies, I was thinking. When you suggest going deeper under the temple, it sounds like you have knowledge that you are only hinting at. Do you know any specific entrances to the tunnels that you are suggesting exist?" [/quote] ​

​ Hulburd leans forward on his staff, "Those who built that temple did so on the bones of something older, from the time of the 'Bright Empire' - pfagh! A poorly suited name if ever there was one - but I know of no other entrance outside the temple walls. The question you should be asking is 'what lies within?' Hmm?"

Kerrick Helmsworth

“That would depend how deep one were to travel within it.”

“It is true that there was one stone outbuilding, off the main path, that we did not visit. Perhaps we should change that fact.”

“Thank you for your help, sir. Unless anyone else has any questions to ask, I believe we should be returning to the others to share what we have learned now.”

Andrew

“Sir, can you please tell us what’s supposed to be below the temple? From the beginning? How did you come to learn of this? What exactly have they done?”

Hulburd scowls at Andrew, "What? Got wax in yer ears? Have you listened to nothing I've said?"

"Hooo!"

"Eh?" says the old man, glancing over his shoulder towards the owl, "What do mean 'I haven't explained?' My jaw is getting tired from yappin at-"

"Hooo."

"Oh, alright! Have it your way!" he says with a petulant huff. Calming himself, he again speaks to Andrew, "What's below the temple, eh? Well, let's just say the Ostrobards liked to make sure their gods were held in high regard, above the old gods, so to speak..." he cackles to himself again, amused at his own cleverness, "...and why leave those you intend to replace with the best site for a temple? Hmmm?"

He watches the group's reaction, then nods, "Alright, as to what they've done...isn't that obvious? They've infiltrated half the town! Brought armed trouble with them, too, based on the shapes I've seen sneaking through the streets by dark. Doubtless won't take kindly to the likes of you lot poking around. That ended quite badly for last lot that got curious. They got themselves taken care of, though the Frog's Rest came out the worse for wear, too. I suggest you keep a low profile!" he finishes, closing one eye and tapping a finger to the opposite side of his nose.

Kerrick Helmsworth

Kerrick nods at the mention of armed trouble. “Thank you for the warning. A low profile does not particularly suit us, though. There are other ways to deal with troubles than avoiding them.”

Kerrick looks to Andrew and Aria.

“I believe we know enough now to make it worth returning to the others to share, unless someone else can think of something important to ask?”

Aria

“I agree. We will need our full party for the next steps.”

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] Kerrick nods at the mention of armed trouble. "Thank you for the warning. A low profile does not particularly suit us, though. There are other ways to deal with troubles than avoiding them." [/quote]

"No doubt there are other ways to end up dead, too. Well, it was nice knowing you, if a little brief..." Hulburd nods and turns to head back inside his hovel...

With Andrew silent, the three of you leave the grove, rejoining the trail leading up from the water towards the town. You pass between the silent markers as you approach the gate, once again finding it open, and unguarded. There doesn't appear to be anyone around on the streets, something you may eventually become accustomed to here in Orlean, but currently find disquieting. Even the constable doesn't emerge to accost you this time.

You turn to the south, heading back towards the inn, when you spot not just one, but a small cluster of people! They are gathered near the building you left your companions at...

Kerrick Helmsworth

Kerrick rides forward, using his position of implied authority as someone mounted and well-equipped to get through the crowd and see what’s going on.

It’s not so much a crowd - you really haven’t seen enough people in town to form one - more a small handful of townsfolk gathered loosely nearby.

Please make further posts in this thread, here: http://www.autarch.co/forums/adventurer-conqueror-king/blackmarsh-sandbox-pbp/character-2a-oh-what-tangled-web-we-weave?page=2