In-Character 3 A Time to Talk of Many Things

Kaul

Ill try to fit the carved pice and if it fits use it as a key. 

Hengist

Assuming I hear Gwydion I'll leave Kaul to it and rejoin Kerrick just outside the doors.

Kerrick Helmsworth

In response to Gwydion’s warning, Kerrick will dismount, loop the reins around an improvised hitching post, and form up with Hengist to block access to the doorway.

[quote="Hengist"] I'll hand the carved piece I'm holding to Kaul.  "Maybe this will fit now." [/quote]

Kaul takes the proffered scrap of wood, turning it over in his hands as he considers its placement. Finally, satisfied that he has it oriented correctly...

[quote="Kaul"] Ill try to fit the carved pice and if it fits use it as a key. [/quote]

...Kaul pushes the carved wooden leaf into place. A muted clatter comes from the box, as the top folds out and open to the sides. The opened "petals" of wood are as equally fascinating as the puzzle-top they comprise when closed, with the workings of both unclear.

Glancing inside the now opened container, Kaul and Masov can see a remarkable, clear glass sphere filled with a bilious green liquid afixed into the opening mechanism if the box-lid, directly behind the area of the lid bearing the inserted leaf-carving.

Lying below the opening, inside the box itself, you find a small jar of viscous greenish-yellow liquid, a black leather bag holding a dozen tiger eye gemstones, an intricate and disturbingly carved wooden torc of black ebony, and a supple, black leather jerkin, with matching boiled-leather greaves and vambraces tooled with a now-familiar leaf-pattern.

[quote="Hardrada"] "A local approaches," Gwydion calls softly but urgently to his companions below. [/quote]

[quote="Hengist"] Assuming I hear Gwydion I'll leave Kaul to it and rejoin Kerrick just outside the doors. [/quote]

Hengist moves out the doors, just in time to see...

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] In response to Gwydion's warning, Kerrick will dismount, loop the reins around an improvised hitching post, and form up with Hengist to block access to the doorway. [/quote]

The fighter then moves shoulder-to-shoulder with the paladin.

"Afternoon..." calls the man, desultorily. His homespun clothes mark him as a local, and he carries an old bucket by a loop of twine, "...where's Ned?" he finishes with a frown, spitting into grass beside the path.

Kerrick Helmsworth

“Afternoon, sir. There was an incident earlier today, and I am afraid Ned is not available. Can we help you?”

[quote="bobloblah"]

,,,small jar of viscous greenish-yellow liquid, a black leather bag holding a dozen tiger eye gemstones, an intricate and disturbingly carved wooden torc of black ebony, and a supple, black leather jerkin, with matching boiled-leather greaves and vambraces tooled with a now-familiar leaf-pattern.

[/quote]

Masov

'Aria, you shouldn't wear fur, it's hell to get blood spatter out of.'

Masov will slip a small kerchief out of his pocket, and with it pick up the torc to get a closer look at it's disturbing carvings; and once satisfied, will take a closer look at the leatherworks.

'Hum. May need Gwydion to take a peek at all this as well. Think it may be easier to tote this stuff seperated out of the box?'

Kaul

(can i use my knowledge of alchemy to identify the liquids? i think the sphere may be filled with poison or acid, but dont know about the jar)

[quote="Villager"] "Afternoon..." calls the man, desultorily. His homespun clothes mark him as a local, and he carries an old bucket by a loop of twine, "...where's Ned?" he finishes with a frown, spitting into grass beside the path. [/quote]

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] "Afternoon, sir. There was an incident earlier today, and I am afraid Ned is not available. Can we help you?" [/quote]

"A...what, now?" the man says, clearly confused, "What did you say? And who are you?" he looks the pair of warriors up and down, before suddenly smiling at Kerrick, "Not from about town, I take it..." 

Meanwhile, inside...

[quote="Masov"] Masov will slip a small kerchief out of his pocket, and with it pick up the torc to get a closer look at it's disturbing carvings; and once satisfied, will take a closer look at the leatherworks.

'Hum. May need Gwydion to take a peek at all this as well. Think it may be easier to tote this stuff seperated out of the box?' [/quote]

The wooden torc is carved on the same slightly-troubling style as the other pieces the party has seen. At the apex, there appears to some kind of stylized bird shape. The carving-work is masterful, and you suspect it might fetch 250gp, or perhaps more from someone who appreciated its bizarre style.

The leathers, as you lift them from the box, appear to be a set of black leather armour...however, the jerkin feels supple and soft, unlike the hardened shell of typical, boiled leather armor. As the jerkin is unfolded, a sheet of vellum slips free and falls to the floor.

The pouch seems to hold 20 tiger eye gems of a very similar size, each one likely to fetch 25gp or so from an interested buyer.

[quote="Kaul"] (can i use my knowledge of alchemy to identify the liquids? i think the sphere may be filled with poison or acid, but dont know about the jar) [/quote]

The sphere is difficult to remove from the opened lid, but after several moments of fiddling, Kaul draws it forth. Quite remarkably, the glass sphere holds no opening, making it unclear how the sphere was filled. Kaul moves it about, sloshing the contents around as he fruitlessly attempts to determine their nature, finally giving up.

Fortunately, the stopper in the second receptacle is easily removed, allowing him to smell the contents. Faint notes of honey and clover emanate from the syrupy liquid within, the combination familiar, and quite likely some sort of Potion of Healing.

Kaul

"ok boys, we score a nice healing potion... it can seve someones life some day, or even better we can sell it for like 500 gold pices!"

Aria
"Graceful fighting means never getting splattered," she says with a wink before returning to her stoic priestly poise. 

Andrew

“I vote for selling it. A potion is nice for those mighty heroic types with gobs of gold, but for most us a few nice shields, a few dozen bundles of herbs, or even couple guards is much cheaper and more likely to save someone’s life. Especially when we already have healers. Healing potions are for the stupidly wealthy.”

Kaul

"i like your thinking Andrew" 

Masov

'Let's not go counting our gold before it's owner stops twitching. Let's everybody take some of the little stuff and split the load. Kaul, you think you can close this box up quicker than we opened it?'

Masov attempts to judge the weight and portability of the jerkin - whether or not it'd travel easier outside the box.

The armour is quite light, and portable due to the fact the supple leather can be folded. You'd say it weighs 1 stone.

The homespun local's smile falters when neither warrior answers, "I can...return later...for Ned..." his voice trailing off.

Kerrick Helmsworth

Kerrick took a moment to exchange glances with Hengist and allow a bit of awkward silence before answering.

"You are correct, we are not from around here. I am Kerrick Helmsworth, a paladin of Thor; we are travelers, and arrived here in town but recently.

After the incident today, the constable seems to have no interest in actually guarding this place of business. At the moment, that is what we are doing.

Unfortunately, I do not believe returning later will help you find Ned. He went mad and attacked a customer, and was slain in self-defense. I gather these sorts of strange happenings are not unknown around here?"

Kaul

"i think i can" i said as i start to reverse the procediment and close the box. 

Kaul folds the top of the box closed without difficulty. As soon as he removes the carved leaf "key" from its place, the surface of the box springs to life, the carved leaves shifting their positions with a clattering sound. The entire pattern slides back to its original, gyre-like configuration in moments, and is then still.

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] Kerrick took a moment to exchange glances with Hengist and allow a bit of awkward silence before answering. "You are correct, we are not from around here. I am Kerrick Helmsworth, a paladin of Thor; we are travelers, and arrived here in town but recently. After the incident today, the constable seems to have no interest in actually guarding this place of business. At the moment, that is what we are doing." [/quote]

"Fahgh!" the man says with a frown, "That's just Aramis, doing all but what needs doing! Begging M'lord's pardon, but the constable's not so clever a man...unlike Eduard! Sharp as a knife, he is!"

[quote="Kerrick Helmsworth"] "Unfortunately, I do not believe returning later will help you find Ned. He went mad and attacked a customer, and was slain in self-defense. I gather these sorts of strange happenings are not unknown around here?" [/quote]

The man's face screws up in a strange expression, and it takes you moment to realise he has begun to weep, "Truly, M'lord, that's ill news..." he takes a deep breath, then continues, "...he had gone some strange, for certain, but not mad! No...perhaps it was the grief? His children were missing, you see. He did not seem to care, but mayhap he broke inside..." his expression changes, becoming almost fearful, and his voice drops to barely a whisper, "He spoke to those elves before that, mind, and had seemed worse even a'fore his children were gone - suspicious and rude." The man looks up to the window of the building behind you,"Is Ara about? Are you caring for her...?"

Kerrick Helmsworth

"Ara was his wife?

I apologize for bearing even more bad news, but she…suffered from the same affliction."

Kerrick bows his head for a moment of silence.

“You say his children were missing? Do you know when they disappeared? Enough tragedy has struck this family already; if it is possible, I would like to be able to at least return his heirs to the family business.”