• Dudda, a Cheerful Geating Thief
  • Fionnbharr, a Dim-witted Gallowglass
  • Henryk, a Dwergar Guard of Hewflore
  • Wilburg, a Self-Confident and Sickly Apprentice
  • Xenocrates, a Cautious Ellasene Mage

NPC: Agapetos, a Horse-headed Beastman of the Sunken City, a Liberated Prisoner

THE PAPERS OF OSRIC DE MANDEVILLE

From Hewflore to Taygle’s End

[After a long break Osric picks up his journal again, flips to a fresh page and starts writing down:]

Yric mentioned that two brothers who were investigating Taygles End have vanished. I bet this fake teacher there is responsible. We will put an end to that!

I visited the local Magonine friary today. I am surprised how young “Elder” Bede is, and I wonder what deeds he did in the Maker’s name to already lead a friary at his young age. Bede and I spoke briefly. He was rather reserved, but one in his position probably ends up with many hidden adversaries, so I won’t hold that against him. It seems the death cult Fraegr mentioned is worshipping the daemon called “Orcus.” This swamp truly is a hive of scum and devilry!

I paid the sculptor a visit as well to see how the statue for the Study of Saint Tibba is progressing. I instructed the sculptor to work on a few features some more. Saint Magos needs to looks as impressive as his deeds. Suggesting the sculptor use me as a model is unquestionably helping his work.

[Osric continues writes into his journal while crossing the lake:]

We departed from Hewflore to find evidence of the frog cult in Taygle’s End. With my mercenaries, I doubt we will encounter any problems with the local lord. I have to admit that I look forward to hunting cultists again, and cleaning out this rotten village will be a great first step to bring the Maker’s judgement into this foul swamp.

I should not forget to also find a chance to get more information about that Orcus cult. Maybe Colbert knows something? Maybe we can visit Froxhall without resting there for a night; the prices they charge at the inn there should be considered robbery! I better check up on Fraegr once we are back in Hewflore too: I haven’t seen him since he was with Zephyros and Xenocrates when we returned from our last expedition. I think he might know more about the cult.

November 2015

THE COMPANY

Cuthbert, a Geating Warden of Carlton --> Mortally Wounded by a Sword-stroke!

Eirikr, a Brimman Axiomar, a Liberated Prisoner

Orhan, a Wry Alfarn Spellsword

Osric de Mandeville, a Reckless and Fell-handed Dreaman Warden

• Bogusław, a Dwergar Warden of Hewflore
  • Emyr, a Geating Explorer (in camp)
  • Godric, a Geating Canon (in camp)
  • Urien, a Weallack Canon Hailing from Carlton

Zephyros, a Scarred but Silver-tongued Ellasene Mage

• Ansger, a Loyal Dreaman Fighter
  • Athelwine, a Geating Explorer from Acworth (in camp)
  • Fionnbharr, a Dim-witted Gallowglass (in camp)
  • Wilburg, a Self-Confident and Sickly Apprentice (in camp)

NPC: Agapetos, a Horse-headed Beastman of the Sunken City, a Liberated Prisoner (in camp)

THE CHRONICLES OF ZEPHYROS

Chapter 4: The Trouble with Frog-men

As it turns out, it was a good thing we decided not to torch the inn. As we investigated upstairs, we came across a couple prisoners. Eirikr was drugged similar to us in the same inn. As an axiomar of the Maker, he’s a welcome addition to the company. The other gentleman claimed to be a merchant, but after trying to make his escape and evading our questions, we believe he is associated with the cult. The eyes seem to give it away. We decided to tie him up for now; perhaps he’ll end up being useful later.

Anyways, we liberated quite a bit of loot in a few chests scattered across the inn. During our search, we uncovered a trap door leading to the basement of the inn. Poor Dudda may need to find another profession: his ability to sniff out traps is in question after tripping two separate traps. Fortunately, he is still alive. As for the trap door, I would have hesitated to enter such a place, but considering Osric and his followers met us at the inn, we figured we were strong enough to face whatever might be down there.

We went down a set of stairs into the basement and Orhan noticed footprints leading to a secret door on the far wall. Henryk and Ansger made short work of the door; beyond were stairs leading down to a chamber in which there were several freshly-excavated shafts going in various directions. The corridors were all quite narrow and winding, making it difficult to see very far. Henryk led the way to the far-left passage, and it wasn’t long before we came across the first horror.

Three frog-men were in a small chamber, behaving almost like zombies. They had human bodies with frogs’ heads. Their fingers ended in sharpened bone points, and on their heads were two shiny metallic plugs, one on each side behind their eyes and writhing with energy. Their mouths had several rows of sharp teeth. Their furious attack caught Henryk off-guard, and he was paralyzed as his muscles involuntarily cramped and became rigid.

Fortunately, Eirikr was able to drag him to safety and Ansger took Henryk’s place, shielding Osric and dispatching the lead frog-man. Osric managed to call on the power of The Maker to hold at bay the two remaining frog-men. Confronted by Osric’s holy symbol, they clasped the metallic plugs on their heads and howled. Ansger and Eirikr used this opportunity to dispatch them. I thought to myself, “Who is responsible for these abominations? Whoever he is, he is far more powerful than us, and therefore we must be very careful how much further we venture into this place.”

We decided to retreat back to the secret room before the tunnels and rethink our situation. Plans were made to secure our position by defending the entrance through the basement. Dudda and a few others hid near the stairway into the basement. Meanwhile, me and my men would hold up within the secret room itself, while Osric and a few others explored the tunnels. This way, we could bar up the tunnels and only have to defend ourselves from one direction at a time… or so we thought.

As soon as Osric opened the door to the tunnels, our prisoner screamed out something to his master. This gave Orhan just the excuse he desired to fill the prisoner with arrows. Moments later, the hatch to the basement opened, and men with torches appeared. We were quiet as several of the men descended the staircase and entered the room. Then, I motioned for Henryk and Ansger to charge.

Together, the two dispatched a couple of the advancing men, but others behind them pressed the mass forward. I prepared a spell even as I noticed a commotion where Osric was returning to the basement: apparently, he had company. Summoning ethereal berserkers, our ranks were bolstered. At the same time, Orhan used a scroll we recently discovered to animate a corpse and direct it towards our attackers.  Soon, we realized that we were facing Cowal, the local teacher, and his followers.

Henryk, Ansger, Eirikr, Bogusław, Dudda, Cuthbert, the berserkers, and Orhan’s zombie quickly gained the upper hand, cutting the enemy down right and left. However, just as the tide seemed to have flowed entirely in our favor, Cuthbert – who had sought to finish Cowal personally – was blinded by some trick on the part of the supposed teacher. Disoriented, Cuthbert twisted around, and was cut down by one of the local reeve’s sergeants. Orhan now put many of our surviving attackers into an ensorcelled slumber, and we finished the fight with Cowal’s party.  At the same time, whatever was attacking Osric withdrew back into the warren of dark tunnels behind us; after the battle, I learned that it was another group of frog-men.

Osric’s men treated Cuthbert to the best of their ability, but his missing right arms and slack look made it clear he would never be the same again. Orhan directed his undead servant to pursue the creatures fleeing into the darkness. After taking a moment to equip my berserkers with torches, I dispatched them into the tunnel system ahead of Orhan and Eirikr. They encountered a large constrictor snake; they were able to finish it off, but not before it killed two of them. Exploring the tunnel system further, we found evidence of the zombie’s last stand along with a dead giant viper. However, we were unable to locate the frog-men. The only unique object we discovered was a large frog statue with a precious gem embedded in its head. Considering Eirikr sensed that it was evil, we must be cautious with what we do with this discovery.

You may notice that the dates don't align with the narrative. This was simply the case of Zephyros' player posting faster than Osric's player. I figured I needed to post the late entry first or the narrative would become challenging to follow.

February 2016

THE COMPANY

Cuthbert, a Geating Warden of Carlton --> Mortally Wounded by a Sword-stroke!

Eirikr, a Brimman Axiomar, a Liberated Prisoner

NPC: Agapetos, a Horse-headed Beastman of the Sunken City, a Liberated Prisoner (in camp)

The Cultist Showdown in Taygle's End

[The cellar secured, with cultists littering the ground dead or bleeding, Osric finds a moment to scribble into his journal.]

Cowal and his cronies suffered a righteous defeat at our hands today! If the Maker wills it, Cowal will survive the journey back to Hewflore for further questioning…

At the start, it was not altogether clear how Cowal fit into the cult’s plans, though we uncovered his evil quickly enough. When we arrived at his house, the town’s self-appointed teacher played it smart, trying to paint himself a humble servant that took things into his own hands when he found an empty study here in Taygle’s End. Neither his home nor the adjacent study presented us with any obvious signs of malign activity. While he was not too firm with his prayers, he at least was more hospitable than the last time we met with him, probably due to the many armed men accompanying us. I couldn’t find any hints that would reveal his true colors, but luckily his fellow cultists weren’t so clever.

While we met with Cowal, cultists attacked my comrades in the tavern after trying to poison them. They succeeded only in sealing their own fates. After I rejoined my companions at the inn, we also found a captured merchant – who turned out to be a member of the frog cult – and an axiomar named Eirikr. Then, we were attacked by Cowal and his goons in full force while exploring the inn’s cellar. Many of the town’s guards, the smith, and some other shady-looking ruffians blocked our exit, while some frog-men abominations tried to rush us from dark tunnels leading into the cellar.

While I held back theses foul abominations with the Maker’s might, my brothers-in-arms butchered the rest of the cultists. Unfortunately, Brother Cuthbert lost his arm in the scuffle.

With that done, we had some time to explore the hidden parts of the cellar more closely. The only resistance we found were more frog-man beasts and a giant snake, all of which we destroyed with the Maker’s help. I still have a feeling that some of the frogs managed to escape, but even our Alfarn and Dwergar companions couldn’t find any secret hiding places or doors. The most important and terrifying thing we found was the statue of the frog daemon these madmen call their master. Fashioned of glistening, sickly-green stone topped by a head dominated by a large, scintillating gem, it was difficult even to look at it without experiencing dizziness. We lacked the tools to destroy this unholy sanctum, so we must see if we can get holy water from the Tychite monastery nearby or Froxhall.

After all that, we were lucky to also capture the wife of the innkeeper. Eirikr sensed none of the infernal hatred exhibited by the other cultists, so Zephyros convinced her to cooperate with us. It seems like the cult drags potential members and captives down to some watery cave near the swamp where the influence of the daemon is strong enough to either possess or kill new recruits. Maybe it takes a while before the cult can be sure if the newest members’ loyalty; at least, this would explain why the merchant was still bound in one of the rooms of the inn. I really doubt this charade was some sort of ruse to trust him as we would have no reason to find him before we defeated the cultists in the inn.

Our next step is to get our troops into the town and search the study for any clues. We must hurry, though, not just because Warden Guy and Deacon Tostig might still be in the cult’s clutches but also because Lady Osthryd seems to have been captured and taken to the caverns.

March 2016

THE COMPANY

Eirikr, a Brimman Axiomar, a Liberated Prisoner --> Mortally Wounded by Animated Corpses of Frog-men

The Tychite Monastery

[Osric finds a moment to pen a few words into his journal, while Zephyros discusses matters with Lady Osthryd’s household guards.]

It seems that the Lady has been missing for quite a while now too, and the guards were much friendlier this time. They are probably desperate, as they seem to know about the cult. Still, it’s a bit suspicious that they didn’t allow us to inspect all of their remaining soldiers…

The study didn’t hold any clues to where we could find our missing brethren or the Lady Osthryd, but we found another statue of this foul frog abomination hidden away like a cowardly thief in a small side room of Cowal’s abode. No religious texts could be found anywhere, but we found a book with weird scribbling in it that makes one’s head hurt.

There still seem to be some of the possessed in the town, but they are quiet for now after we clobbered their leaders and fellow cultists. The rest of the residents don’t seem to be too friendly either, but I think not all hope is lost for this place. With strong guidance and hard work, this community could very well become a beacon of hope in this vile swamp. We will visit the monastery next and, if the Maker wills it, let’s hope we find some holy water there.”

[After massaging his bruised shoulder, Osric continues his entry:]

More cultists were all that awaited us in the monastery. At first, everything seemed abandoned, perhaps only just before our arrival, as we made our way through the outbuildings. We found more mad scribblings in the some of the quarters; the cult must have been busy here for a while it seems. We then were forced to scale the walls to gain access to the main compound when a few cultists dared to show their faces by shooting at us with crossbows. Despite our disadvantaged position, we managed to drive them back and took the roof without any loss. Climbing down into the cultist-held garden seemed unwise, so we bashed a hole in the roof and entered through the ceiling.

This was when more cultists decided to press an attack. It was some righteous slaughter as, at one point, we had to stand on a heap of fallen foes to fight the waves of crazed frog daemon followers! Most of the cultists were ill-equipped rabble, so we only sustained a few bruises and minor wounds in vanquishing them. We hunted them down to the last man and woman, but still found no traces of the monks. We had to search for more clues.

In the study, copy room, and library, we turned up more vile books and statues of mutated frogs and frog-men but no hints regarding the missing wardens, monks, or reeve. After a long search, a secret tunnel was found that wasn’t very deep, but it was very long with many rooms dug out on each side. Some reminded me of animal pens, and others were like empty storage rooms, but there also was a grisly hall full of tables with corpses. It must have been some sort of laboratory: there were many corpses showing signs of experimentation, amputations, and transplanted frog parts, many grotesque and over-sized. The dead rose during our search; the resulting battle was surprisingly bloody affair.

The undead surrounded the group quicker than holy symbols could drive them back, forcing the whole group to retreat and spike the doors after I held them off as long as possible. A counter attack was prepared, and Zephyros, Xenocrates, and Orhan called many a berserkers from some Astral realm to aid us. Again, the undead proved to be more than a match, and only the Maker’s holy wrath and the clever use of an old scroll prevented the battle from ending in disaster. Eirikr the Axiomar fell, the zombies tearing his arm asunder, leaving his right hand useless.

I wonder if the monks are not the ones to blame for this whole mess. I suspect that these books were used to convert, or at least influence, the people studying here before they were shipped off to the caves. The escape tunnel coupled with the experimentation chamber also makes one think: Was it a route to get out of the monastery in case of an emergency? Or, was it to secretly enter without anyone else noticing? Who or what else was living down there?”

[Osric takes a deep breath while gazing into a candle flame thinking about what happened in the hours prior.]

“We have cleansed the monastery, but this place opens up more questions than it solves.”

These were some of my favorite sessions! So many cultists to slay and weird things to figure out. :)

May 2016

THE COMPANY

• Bogusław, a Dwergar Warden of Hewflore --> Mortally Wounded by a Cultist Dagger
  • Emyr, a Geating Explorer

• Athelwine, a Geating Explorer from Acworth

The Frog Caverns

[Sitting outside a tavern in Carlton and enjoying a refreshing, watered-down ale while watching passing townsfolk, Osric permits himself a short respite.]

We are in Carlton. This morning, the abbot exorcised the demonic curses plaguing Urien and I. The Maker be praised! It is like the lifting of many leaden weights from my chest. The price – the destruction and donation of unholy jewelry from the frog temple – was a pittance for all this.

[Osric pauses before resuming his journal from the last entry.]

Near where the tunnel to the monastery exited in a small cut, we discovered tracks. Tired and bloody, we elected to rest in Taygle’s End before continuing our hunt. We allowed our men to celebrate, and I took the opportunity to preach the Maker’s Word to the people of the End. I have to admit that I was surprised by how many attended to the liturgy; a few locals even thanked me afterwards. Maybe, not all is lost for this village!

The next day, the terribly-wounded Eirikr informed us that he would return to Hewflore as soon as he was ready to travel, and we bid him farewell. The remainder of us returned to the monastery. Orhan – with the rest of in tow – followed the tracks from the hidden tunnel northwards until we ended up at the foot of Rish Hill, a poorly hidden entrance into the depth before us. We spotted some strange figures in the bushes and boldly confronted them, and they quickly retreated. We couldn’t follow their tracks in the thick underbrush covering the area, so we returned to the gaping hole where cultist footprints led us.

Reflecting that we were not far from the thorp of Rishdon, I wondered if the locals had aligned themselves with the worshippers of the frog daemon. Perhaps the figures who fled into the brush were on their way at that moment to summon reinforcements from the settlement above us. We would have to hurry.

The steps leading down into the hole looked treacherous, so we tried to advance slowly. Nevertheless, some of our number slipped noisily, and our torches undoubtedly marked our approach. Not surprisingly, foemen awaited us, prepared to do us ill. Vicious incantations assailed our senses, and everything was made more difficult thanks to the confined space and treacherous footing. Only after our mages sent forward a wave of summoned Brimman warriors could we press into the chamber in front of us.

We soon found ourselves in a bloody battle for our lives. One of the green-skinned four-armed giants we knew from elsewhere in the Great Marish crashed into our flank from a side tunnel; even stooping, he was a fearsome sight. Thanks to the Maker, an incantation of sleep felled him before he did serious damage, and we slew him while helpless. Ansger and Henryk tried to maintain pressure on the enemy’s front line even as the cultists received more reinforcements. Visions of unknowable evil clouded my sight and sickened me, but a few well-placed shots by our archers silenced the cultists’ sorcerers. A great, armored frog-man monstrosity then appeared from another side tunnel along with more cultists. Our mages responded with summoned Brimman berserks. The frenzied madmen felled the armored frog-man and broke the cultists’ attack. In the aftermath, I discovered a prostrate Bogusław with a dagger lodged in his back.

We hurriedly scavenged what we could from the corpses of our fallen foes, but we did not dare pursue the cultists deeper into the warren. Near the entrance, I posted Emyr with orders to spy on all that trafficked the area. We then marched back to the monastery to recover. Bogusław will live, thankfully, though I suspect he will not walk again without pain.

Still troubled by bouts of nausea and vertigo, we decided to ride to Carlton the next day. Before we could depart, however, two messengers appeared at the gate to the monastery grounds. The owner of a manor also on the outskirts of Taygle’s End sought a chat with us. Confident in our strength and the Maker’s blessings, we accompanied the messengers to their master’s manse.

Garnier, one of the local area’s chief thanes, seemed to share a common goal of eradicating the cult. By all appearances a seasoned adventurer, we learned that he’d already clashed with the cultists several times, but his injuries, age, and dwindling resources prevented him from achieving a decisive victory. His reports of the cult’s influence dampened my mood considerably: not only has the cult infiltrated Taygle’s End, it seems to have thoroughly corrupted Rishdon as well.

As I see it, our best hope now is to destroy the cult’s sanctuary at the base of Rish Hill. Then, we can renew faith in the Maker’s power by making Taygle’s End a beacon of hope. With that accomplished, we will have time to hunt down the cult’s remnants and drive this perverse frog idolatry back into the swamp from which it no doubt hails.

This is not something to be left to others. No! This is something I must do myself!

I will take over the ekklesia of Taygle’s End… a task for which I must secure the support of Lady Osthryd. I must see if Garnier will support me as well. I am not without optimism: after all, the old man generously gave us some old artifacts for the promise that we would remove the cult from Taygle’s End.

I have no doubt this will not be an easy task, but – with the Maker’s blessings – it is one I shall do.