Yes, I'm very much looking forward to L&E, I know it will help my project immensely.
Right now, I'm working on the bearded devil, and while I'm satisfied with my ACKS conversion of the stat block, where I'm having trouble is choosing which abilities I want it to have, given the different interations of the monster. Also, for each ability I'm trying to figure out how to make them as "ACK-ish" as possible, that is, I want the effects to be similar to other mechanics and effects in ACKS as opposed to sui generis to ACKS. Here are the possible abilities I want it to have, and the mechanics of each (and different inetrations thereof, namely, from DnD 1ed and DnD 2ed), and my idea for making each one "ACK-ish."
1. The bearded devils claw, claw, beard attack routine.
(In DnD 1ed)
"Without weapons, bearded devils attack with their wire-like beards and clawed hands. If both hand attacks succeed, beard damage is maximum, i.e., 8 points. Any creature struck for maximum beard damage must save vs. poison or immediately develop a burning rash which reduces dexterity by 1 point per round for 4 rounds."
My conversion idea: Damage-wise, it sounds good as is, no? But I'm unsure about the poison effect. It seems like it could lead to a lot of book-keeping. Also, it seems open-ended, as in, when does it end? As is, is this all worth an asterisk? Thus, I really don't know what I should do. I took a look at the poison in ACKS and nothing seems to quite fit. So, I derno.
In 2ed dnd instead of the beard possibly lessening your dex; instead, "when the beard hits, there is a 25% chance the victim contracts a disease from the foul attack."
The 2ed interation seems easier to adjudicate, except for the fact that I don't recall seeing any diseases listed in ACKS other than things like mummy rot, reversing cure disease, the plaugue ritual in the AC, but I could just be overlooking them.
2. a. Saw-toothed glaive that immobilizes (DnD 1ed), or b. Saw-toothed glaive that causes an infernal wound (DnD 2ed).
a. "In most cases, bearded devils carry a saw-toothed glaive equipped with a treble-hook arranged at the baseof the blade. The treblehook curves backward and is used to entangle or snag opponents closing or fleeing (+1-3 points damage plus held fast unless a die roll equal to success of opening a door is made)."
My idea of conversion: It seems simple enough. But the "held fast" part perplexes me a bit. I don't recall how it worked back in 1ed, as in, can the bearded devil freely unsnag the glaive if it hits a target? Is the having to make the opening doors check fair? Is it deserving of an asterisk?
b. "The barbazu attacks with a saw-toothed glaive (2d6 points of damage, and wound bleeds for 2 points of damage each round until wound is bound or victim dies). Bleeding glaive wounds are cumulative (2 points of damage per round per wound)." (DnD 2ed)
My conversion idea: Firstly, instead of 2d6 damage, reduce it to regular pole arm damage? I've always liked the Infernal Wound thing. The bleed seems comparable to ACKS damage-wise, no? I'm unsure exactly what would constitute binding the wound though. Given it's kind-of-sort of auto damage, it's worth an asterisk, no?
Also, I thought instead of maybe fiddling with snagging and the bonus damage or infernal wounds, to instead just simplify and give the bearded devil a damage bonus, say, +1 damage to it's pole arm attacks?
3. Batlle Frenzy
"Barbazu are subject to a battle frenzy. In combat a group of barbazu is 10% likely per melee round to go berserk. The roll is cumulative per melee round, so that it they are 20% likely to go berserk on the second round, 30% on the third, and so forth. They stay berserk until combat ceases. While berserk, the barbazu need not make morale checks. They attack twice as many times per round at +2 on attack rolls and damage dice. Their Armor Class, however, takes a +3 penalty." (DnD 2ed)
My conversion idea: While a bit of bookeeping, I like the cumulative percentage idea. But instead of the listed mechanics, I figured I maybe just give it the Berserkergang proficiency mechanic, yet keep the original of not having to make morale checks too. Worth an asterisk?
Or are all, or some of these mechanics quite o.k, as is? I'd like to tighten them up and make them as "ACK-ish" as possible though: one of the many, many things I love about ACKS is the lack of clunk and its elegance (and balance). The symmetry is wonderful. It's solid.
Thanks for any help. I'm sure L&E will maybe help immensely (given that all the books so far have been WAY awesome and thorough), but for some reason this is all keeping me up at night. Damn Barbazu.