OOC Discussion

I'm completely new to D@W, but can we use the table on page 30 of the Campaigns book?  That gives a monthly wage and supply cost of 1090 gp for 120 light infantry and 1810 gp for 120 heavy infantry.  Plus a supply cost of 60 gp for each unit.

If we go by that, we would also be able to get 120 bowmen for 1450 gp per month.  All three together would be:

1090 gp: 120 Light Infantry

1810 gp: 120 Heavy Infantry

1450 gp: 120 Bowmen

180 gp: Supply Cost

= 4530 gp per month

Again, I'm not familiar with D@W so these numbers could be way off.

Supply Cost for each type per week:

Light Infantry: 5 sp each : x 90 : 45 gp

Heavy Infantry: 5 sp each x 60: 30 gp

Horse Archers: 4gp each x 15: 60 gp

so 135 gp/week for that layout for supply costs.

That's 165 troops total, and we'd also require an armorer team.

An armorer with two journeymen and four apprentices can do 240 troops (40+60+(15*4)=160gp/mo)

An armorer with two journeymen and 1 apprentice can do (40+60+15)=115 gp/mo,  which will cover 172.5 troops at a cost of (75+40+10) = 125gp/mo.

Adding another apprentice would cover 195 troops, enough for another platoon of infantry or two platoons of cavalry.

The problem is that the initial cost of hiring mercenaries at the start of the campaign is 6 times of the monthly wage. Also we need to make sure that the wages we have to pay per month are not too high...

Ah ok.  That makes sense.  Where is that rule found?  I completely missed it.

Its on page 253 of the core book and also mentioned in the the troupe style post: http://www.autarch.co/forums/house-rules/hr-acks-troupe-style-play

So 8310gp for starting with 150 infantry (60 heavy, 90 light), 1 armorer, two journeymen and an apprentice.

Ok.  That's where I was confused.  I was thinking that they would not be part of our initial troupe, but would be hired after we began.

We could do that assuming we started in the capital (market class 2). Although, we would likely have to undergo at least one market refresh given the numbers we want. So we’d be looking at spending a month to six weeks recruiting then marching 300 miles. Although if the party wants the potentially better documentation possibilities at the capital maybe that’s a way to go.

Does anyone have strong feelings about starting closer with already hired men or in the largest city and hiring/investigating as the first part of the expedition?

I don't have strong feelings.  We could split the party somewhat.  Our main characters could scout ahead while our henchmen handle hiring the troops.  (Although I would probably send my henchman and let my main character deal with the hiring).

I would rather start close, like the last village before the valley, instead of going through 300 miles of travellng just to save some gold. 

I'm also in line with that thought.  Unless anyone strongly objects, closest village with 60 Heavy, 90 Light, and 15 Horse Archers for troops with Armorer, 2 Journeymen, and an apprentice?

Ok. I'm fine with this.  One of my troupe is an armorer, so you can deduct a little bit from the cost.

I'm good with the general direction we're cogitating on.

I'd be happy to set up a shared spreadsheet to keep track of everything once we've got a solid & discrete list of what all we're bringing with us that's not our direct troupe.

So what is left to be done before we can begin?

Nothing that I know of.  Charles did you want to try to get another new player or two or are we proceeding with the current party?

I had hoped for 5-8 players. Based on experience, 1-3 players can have Real Life to deal with, but the remaining players can continue without too much disruption. We could begin with fewer players, but it becomes more important for the fewer players to post on a timely basis.

I’ve thought about re-opening recruitment until up to 8 players complete their troupe. What do you think?

Otherwise, we only need to confirm/finalize the discussions you’ve been having. Specifically, your preferred starting location and your starting household purchases.

It may help if one (or more) of you summarize your thoughts on starting location and household purchases, and then you hold a vote, or however you’d like to organize your decision making.

kalstone asked “Can we share spells among our troupe?”

Your primary Adventurer characters can share anything you as players choose. NPC sharing is subject to roleplaying any request and likely a reaction roll. As a reminder, don’t forget possible magic item exchanges. Yes, it’s random and you could waste a lot of gold, but it’s one way to begin with Player’s Companion spells (from scrolls).

kalstone asked “Are we just meeting or has the company already been formed?”

The Company knows one another from past adventures. You have recently journeyed to Rorn at the start of this campaign.

Let me know if you have any other questions. (I have a four day weekend coming up … Yay!)

I think we were in agreement on a few items:  

1.  We are starting at the closest Village.

2. We are hiring 90 Light Infantry and 60 Heavy infantry in addition to the 15 horse archer we already possess.  

3.  Kal is providing an armorer and we are hiring two journeymen and 1 apprentice to cover 172 troops.

This seems solid!

I think we also need a quartermaster for our troops. Anybody alse wants to pick him?

Otherwise I am fine with recruiting more players.

I just posted in my own PbP game that I'm back after a bunch of work and personal issues. Looks like this got derailed?