OOC thread

I see my character as a zealot, tasked with spreading the worship of the Empire's gods to the lawless east.  He would gladly sacrifice his life for a village of believers, but would also gladly put to the sword a village who refused to renounce their pagan gods.

Sulldawga -

I apologize for missing your frustrations with the forum until now; I'd been out of town and not following all the various threads.

I'll see what can be done about the issues you mentioned (and I'm cognizant of the fact it won't necessarily alter your movement to Unseen Servant, no biggies).

One of my biggest complaints about the forums, if not the biggest, is the waste of space on the right side of the screen.  That whole right side column is wasted on "What People Are Saying" and "Active Forum Topics" and "Donate/Backer Upgrade".

I could give it a couple days to see if anything can be done.  It would be great to keep Hardrada in the mix.

You should notice now that the sidebars on the forums are gone (though writing this I realize the "comment reply" page is a different setting, so I'll fix that here momentarily).

I'll dig through the "reply indent" size a bit later.

Now that a third of my screen has been liberated, shrinking replies is much less of an issue!

Wow, this is awesome!  Thanks a lot, koewn!

I'm loving the expanded size of the screen now.  

If Keown can fix the replies so that they always appear at the bottom of the screen, instead of inline under the original post, I think we can stay on these forums.  Would be nice to see multiple die rolls on one line but I'm not sure how much magic he can work.

This week, I plan on giving thumbs-ups to anyone's PCs and henches when posted in the Character Sheets thread, and adding more backstory for you guys to absorb.  This is Week 2 of Kalstone traveling, plus hopefully thirdkingdom's work schedule will calm down and he can get a chance to work on chargen.

Tentatively aiming to begin next week, after folks get this week and the weekend to work on stuff.  Those of you who are done with chargen can begin thinking about what your first expedition will look like.

OK. I think the threading is changeable, I'll see. I'm not sure what the general population's prevailing opinion is on it, but it is a deviation from what most other boards do, so I don't think there'll be much emotion over a possible change.

What format do you expect for the rolls? Right now it's:

Roll Comment
I rolled %dietype, the result is XX+Y = ZZ.
I rolled %dietype2, the result is XX+Y=ZZ.

I can change the formatting relatively easily, I believe; but that may only extend to something like

Roll Comment - [%dietype] = ZZ, [%dietype2] = ZZ

perhaps - haven't strongly looked into it yet. I'm not at all sure I can interweave the "roll comment" and the dice results, however, the module doesn't have a complex parser like Unseen Servant is using with their 'natural language' sort of setup.

If it can put all rolls from one roll attempt on the same line, that would be an improvement.

The rolls and the roll comment can stay on separate lines.

So, instead of this:

STR, INT, WIS, DEX, CON, CHA

3d6=12

3d6=11

3d6=9

3d6=18

3d6=14

3d6=6

you get this:

STR, INT, WIS, DEX, CON, CHA

3d6=12, 3d6=11, 3d6=9, 3d6=18, 3d6=14, 3d6=6

The difference in comment display modes is traditionally one with an enormous amount of…let’s say passion…displayed over it on the internet. The current style is nested comments, such as Reddit uses, while the proposed one is chronological, such as traditional forum design.

(Personally, I hate nested comments, so I’d be happy to see a switch to chronological, but it may be worth asking people and seeing what the general opinion is before switching.)

Hey, I'm here but still pretty damned slammed. I'm hoping to get my character done by the end of this week (right now my priority is on keeping the game I'm running moving).

tk

[quote="koewn"]

OK. I think the threading is changeable, I'll see. I'm not sure what the general population's prevailing opinion is on it, but it is a deviation from what most other boards do, so I don't think there'll be much emotion over a possible change.

What format do you expect for the rolls? Right now it's:

Roll Comment
I rolled %dietype, the result is XX+Y = ZZ.
I rolled %dietype2, the result is XX+Y=ZZ.

I can change the formatting relatively easily, I believe; but that may only extend to something like

Roll Comment - [%dietype] = ZZ, [%dietype2] = ZZ

perhaps - haven't strongly looked into it yet. I'm not at all sure I can interweave the "roll comment" and the dice results, however, the module doesn't have a complex parser like Unseen Servant is using with their 'natural language' sort of setup.

[/quote]

I do have to say that the way that new posts appear is extremely frustrating for me.  I much prefer a setup where the posts appear in a linear fashion based upon the day and time they are made, as opposed to the current system.

Also, while I"m thinking about henches, how does henches-hiring-henches work? Can I assign people to them? "Steve! Go find and train me three clerics. You're chief medic now!" Do henches pay their henches wages, or do I pay? 

You've got time.  We're still slow-rolling the chargen.

I want the party to first have a discussion about henches and treasure distribution.  There are people who like lots of henches so they can have specializations across the board, and there are others who like limiting henchmen so that the PCs get more XP.

You then need to decide at what rate you're paying henchmen.  15% of earned treasure is the minimum but you may decide to pay more.

Henchmen keep that share of treasure and I don't allow PCs to dictate how they spend it but one exception: you can have them pay for their own henches.

Note that rather than keep track of "small stuff" like general living expenses plus minor items like arrows or mirrors or torches, I will charge each PC a monthly upkeep fee depending on level (see p 39).  You can assume the monthly henchman fee you pay goes toward the henches' upkeep.

You still need to list these items on your character sheet.  Flasks of oil don't magically appear in your backpack when you're 100 miles away from a city and realize you need them.  But we don't need to track the costs unless you're buying in bulk.

You can assume any henchmen come equipped with the basics.  I'll choose a template from the Players Companion and that's what the hench starts with.  After that, the "small stuff" is covered by the henchman fee but the PC is in charge of upgrading their gear.  If all the other henches get +1 weapons and Joe the Fighter doesn't, he's not going to dip into his own cash to buy one, he's probably going to fail a morale roll and leave your service.

To answer your specific question, if the party agrees to let each player make their own choices on henches, then yes, you can command Steve to recruit and hire three clerics as his henchmen and pay for them with his own funds.  But if Steve fails a morale roll and leaves the party, the clerics go with him.

Personally, I like lots of henches, but limiting attendence on any particular mission. If I own four henches, and bring two on any given mission, then it works out. I don't actually see any reason to bring my venturer into dungeons, but when I go on campaign he'll be all-important. 

I am fine with either way as long as everybody has roughly the same amout of henchmen in tow.

Personally for Play-by-post I prefer less henchmen as the games are usually slow already.

Quick update on the forums.  I am very pleased with the look of the site now that we've recovered the real estate on the right side of the screen.  Also very happy with Keown's customer service!  

So I think that, even if the nested comments and dice roller displays don't go our way, we're going to stay on these boards.  Added benefit: hopefully Hardrada comes back.

One question: how much do you care about seeing dice rolls?  Let's have a vote:

A. don't care at all

B. I would like to see them but I don't need the link, Judge can use his dice roller phone app

C. I want to see them and I want them to link back to a roller so I know the Judge isn't fudging them

Note that I take ZERO offense to anyone voting C.  Seriously, it's cool.

B