Some cheap tactics

I apologize in advance for my poor english . I am an engineer  , a long time d&d player and gamemaster and fell in love immediately with ACKS, the OD&D that should have been back then .  Od&d was great but was also a mess; i think ACKS takes the best of two wordls with a gaming system   which is  old school  compatible and streamlined. Anyway, i am also quite a minmaxer, and i found some interesting combo in the game, expecially with the use of player's complendium, and so i whould like to check their avaliability .

For example; imagine a thief who changes shape; could he backstab with the new form's natural weapons?  it whould be devastating because most of the damage monsters inflict is based on dice rolling- imagine a frost giant backstabbing.

How do you  consider  more than one multipliers? Somwhere ( for example ambush rules)  is specified that doubling does not stack  with the skill , but is it a particular rule  for ambush or  it's always like that ? I thikn for example of a belt of giant strenght and backstab.

If the thief gains fangs annd claws like the  tharassian gladiator, could he backstab with all his natural weapons ?

If a cleric  casts striking, does he multiply the bonus die   if he is wearing a belt of giant strenght?

The game is great, guys. Keep on the good work.

Multiple multipliers to damage (e.g., Backstab and Weapon Focus) do not directly stack, but instead increase the multiplier by 1 (i.e., Backstab x2 and Weapon Focus means x3 damage on a natural 20). When a damage multiplier is involved, only the die roll is multiplied (i.e., 10+ Sword 1d6+3 on a Backstab is 6+ Sword 1d6x2+3), and any bonuses are added after multiplication.

If a Thief or other character who can multiply damage (e.g., Assassin, Nightblade, character with the Ambushing Proficiency, etc.) shapechanges via magic, they can typically Backstab with their new attack, and the new damage roll is multiplied. For example, a Thief subject to a Polymorph Other and changed into a Frost Giant would inflict at least 4d6x3 damage, depending on their Backstab multiplier. Keep in mind, however, that it's an awful lot harder to Surprise someone as a Frost Giant than as a human-sized Thief. And that's really where these kind of white-room scenarios tend to break down, as numbers are considered in a vacuum. In the case of our now giant and icy Thief, they still only have the hp of Thief, but are now a prominent target who probably can't Surprise anyone to Backstab. It's a trick that might work under exactly the right circumstances precisely once in a given encounter.

In the case of a Thrassian Gladiator with the Ambushing Proficiency, he can gain x2 damage with each of his natural attacks (i.e., 1d3-1x2, 1d3-1x2, and 1d8x2, plus whatever Strength and Damage Bonus they have on melee attacks).

As for the Girdle (or Potion) of Giant Strength, technically, it doubles the character's damage which would stack with Backstab in the manner I mentioned above (i.e., x2 and x2 becomes x3). Personally, I'd probably allow them to roll two dice for their Damage, similar to a Giant, and then multiply it and add any bonus from Strength, Class, etc.

For the Striking spell, it appears to provide bonus damage, which would be added after multiplication like other bonuses (i.e., 1d6x2+1d6). Similarly, someone wearing a Girdle of Giant Strength who had Striking cast on their weapon would inflict, technically, 1d6x2+1d6 damage, or 1d6x3+1d6 on a Backstab (although again, I'd personally use 3d6 damage, or 2d6x2+1d6 on a Backstab due to how I would rule on the Girdle).

Thank you for the clarifications !

Off course changing into a huge giant should have many drawbacks, however there are tons of medium or large  sized creatures ( i take d&d 3rd edition sizes for reference)   who can inflict a lot of damage and reasonably backstab ; for example , weretigers ( 1d6/1d6/2d6), werebear( 2d4/2d4/2d8) , invisible stalker ( 4d4)  giant crab ( 2d6/ 2d6 and decent AC ) , various felines... .

Another  old school tactic we used with my friends was to have the elf polymorph  into an hydra- now that's damage, expecially with haste  or giant strenght  !

My only complain with this game is how petty the damage output is for fighters at high level - they  will never get to use  their full cleaves at high level  and adding aging to haste penalizes them the most. Off course you can modify the spell with players' companion...

In OD&D companion you could smash, have multiple attacks  , and gain weapon mastery with the Master set. in Ad&d 2nd edition you could use 2 weapons, have specialization  and gain extra damage bonus for Strenght. 

So while i think the fighter class in ADKS  is true to his Expert set forefather, and his power gap with the wizard balances the latter's weakness at lower levels, i think he should get a bit of a buff and more options  , because he's not funny to play   at high levels !

The strength of a fighter becomes more evident when he or she is leading an army or plunges into a heroic foray against many lesser foes. In this situation I don't see their ability to cleave their foes as underpowered. 

Consider the 9th-level Fighter vs a platoon of orcs. The fighter enjoys a +4 damage bonus from class levels, perhaps with a +2 spear and a modest +1 damage bonus from a Strength score of 13. This fighter hits on a 2+ (or 5+ vs a common orc's AC3) with a minimum of 8 damage, so he drops any orc that he hits, and continues to wade through their ranks attacking until he misses or runs out of cleave attempts.

Consider also that 1d6+7 damage has the same average damage as 3d6 damage (10.5). I haven't done any sort of analysis of monster damage, but since balance isn't a large concern in my game I feel like that's an entirely appropriate amount of damage. Your mileage may vary. :)

[quote="derreavatar"] Thank you for the clarifications ! [/quote]

No problem!

[quote="derreavatar"] Off course changing into a huge giant should have many drawbacks, however there are tons of medium or large  sized creatures ( i take d&d 3rd edition sizes for reference)   who can inflict a lot of damage and reasonably backstab ; for example , weretigers ( 1d6/1d6/2d6), werebear( 2d4/2d4/2d8) , invisible stalker ( 4d4)  giant crab ( 2d6/ 2d6 and decent AC ) , various felines... [/quote]

This is true, but consider that Polymorph Other is permanent, and changes the Character's Alignment and mind to match that of the new form. Based on the rules under Transformations, it would also vastly increase the required XP per Level for any further advancement. Lastly, it requires a Mage who actually has the spell, which is not guaranteed in ACKS, and who is higher level than the HD of the creature. So, can an 8th Level Mage who actually happens to know the spell Polymorph Other cast it on the party Thief and transform them into an Invisible Stalker? Sure. Of course:

[quote="ACKS"] ...the transformed target also gains the alignment, behavioral and mental traits...of the new form. [/quote]

Alas, poor Thief! We knew you well! A more intersting question would be the Were-creatures. What does Polymorphing into one of those do? Can Polymorph Other inflict Lycanthropy? I'm not an Autarch, so Alex (the game's author; he posts here all the time) would have to answer that one.

[quote="derreavatar"] Another old school tactic we used with my friends was to have the elf polymorph  into an hydra- now that's damage, expecially with haste  or giant strenght  ! [/quote]

While a 7th Level Elf (no mean feat in ACKS) that happened to have Polymorph Self could indeed transform into a Hydra, they would have only their own hp, along with the Hydra's AC 4. They are accutely more vulnerable than they were before. In compensation, they now have 7 attacks that inflict 1d10 damage, with a possible 7 Cleaves (total, not per attack). This may or may not be better than their attacks before transformation, as a naked 7th Level Elven Spellsword with a mundane sword has 1 attack that does 1d6+3 and 7 Cleaves, but is in fact far better than this due to Strength bonus, magic items, and any other spells they might cast. They may also be far more likely to hit, and hence Cleave, before transformation, never mind having vastly better AC. A 7th Level Mage on the other hand? While vulnerable due to low hp, they are likely a lot more durable and dangerous in melee after turning into a Hydra.

[quote="derreavatar"] My only complain with this game is how petty the damage output is for fighters at high level - they  will never get to use  their full cleaves at high level  and adding aging to haste penalizes them the most. Off course you can modify the spell with players' companion... [/quote]

I'm totally guessing based on this comment, so forgive me if I'm off base here, but you haven't actually played ACKS yet, have you? ACKS Fighters have proportionally better damage output than any other version of the game. Now, before you go gaga providing me numbers to try and refute that, consider two things: I have played both BECMI (which is where Smash and Weapon Mastery come from) and AD&D 2nd extensively, and I said "proportionally."

Simply put, Fighters are combat monsters in ACKS, racking up way more kills than other versions of the game. In AD&D 2nd one might have more attacks (typically 2/3 or 2/1), but are dealing with a broader range of ACs (and hence, lower, reducing chances to hit), and waaay higher HD for monsters. Haste also ages you in AD&D 2nd. In BECMI, at high level one might have one, maybe two high-damage attacks; multiple attacks were only for 9th Level+ Fighters against Monsters of 1 HD or less. In ACKS, a Fighter of any Level can Cleave against any opponent. How often they manage to do so is a function of a lot of things, but a big one is damage input from the rest of the party. Sure, Fighters don't always Cleave every round at the beginning of a battle, but once there are some injuries? They will cut through opponents like a scythe. I say this from actual play experience with ACKS, and you can see pretty much the same thing from the higher-level play reports that are around. Will a 10th Level Fighter get 10 Cleaves every round? No. But when they do it will be glorious. And probably end the battle.

[quote="derreavatar"] So while i think the fighter class in ADKS  is true to his Expert set forefather, and his power gap with the wizard balances the latter's weakness at lower levels, i think he should get a bit of a buff and more options  , because he's not funny to play   at high levels ! [/quote]

While it's always fun to tinker and add stuff to the game, particularly if you feel there aren't enough options for your Fighters at higher levels, I don't believe the comments about balance with the Mage (that it's only low-level), or commonality with the Expert set, hold true. There's a blog post that explains some of the math here: http://www.autarch.co/blog/heroic-combat-adventurer-conqueror-king

Also, keep in mind that by 9th Level a Fighter in ACKS will have picked up 4 Class Proficiencies and 3 General Proficiencies, and a lot of these provide interesting options for a Fighter both in and out of combat.

Polymorph Self to hydra? How about Summon Fantastical Creature (10HD Hydra), then Haste that hydra. Same spell slot investment (a 4th and a 3rd), better damage output and hit points, lower risk to self, and the aging is on a creature that you don’t care about (though inferior duration).

Also if you’re looking to stack up damage multipliers, don’t forget about charging with a spear or polearm!

Excellent points. Again assuming you have those spells.

How about Summon Fantastical Creature (10HD Hydra), then Haste that hydra. S

Very good idea ! However you could not use a belt of giant strenght; on the other hand, while polymorphed, you could not hit monsters who need a +1 or better weapon to be hit...

This is true, but consider that Polymorph Other is permanent, and changes the Character's Alignment and mind to match that of the new form.

Off course. I was thinking of a custom class with both spellcasting and backstab or change form into normal animal and backstab , or a rogue using a scroll with polymorph self.

The strength of a fighter becomes more evident when he or she is leading an army or plunges into a heroic foray against many lesser foes.

i agree; ; in this respect the game makes a very good depiction of an epic fighter. However i think he should be able to single out even some tougher monsters- in our Od&d games, fighter were heavily buffed  by wizards and cleric, and dealt a ton of damage aganist tough oponents, while wizards excelled at using area damage spells.

I'm totally guessing based on this comment, so forgive me if I'm off base here, but you haven't actually played ACKS yet, have you?

you have got the point and no offense taken ;)  ! With two toddlers i have freezed my roleplaying experience .. but now i'm planning to restart. 

In AD&D 2nd one might have more attacks (typically 2/3 or 2/1), but are dealing with a broader range of ACs (and hence, lower, reducing chances to hit), and waaay higher HD for monsters. Haste also ages you in AD&D 2nd. In BECMI, at high level one might have one, maybe two high-damage attacks; multiple attacks were only for 9th Level+ Fighters against Monsters of 1 HD or less.

Actually , many more. Fighter nearly always dual wielded , so they had at 13rd 3 attacks per round.  

With a belt of giant stenght  , a +3 weapon ans specialization it was not strange to inflict 20 hp per hit.- the same damage you whould inflict in ACKS; however you could hit the same monster over and over in the same round.Off course stoneskin nullified their damage oputput, but  that's what dispel magic and teamwork were for. in ACK , you whould have more attacks aganist low hp monsters, for sure.

In BECMI, in companion rules, warriors were outstanding. you whould gain 2 attacks at 12 , 3 at 24  ecc. aganist monsters you could hit witth a 2+, which was not uncommon considering  weaopon mastery bonus to hit ( 6+ generally; and damage was 2d4+8 at high mastery)  and haste bonus to hit( +2 also)  ;aging with haste was not a problem AND haste potions and spells were specifically cumulative- so you migh end up with 4,8, 12 attacks per round!

So ,  considering rogues and wizards,  i think the warrior is well depicted when facing a hord of lesser creatures, but is penalized when fighting big bosses such as dragon, or dueling aganist other high level fighters.

And to sum it up- i love this game. It's the best old school renaissance game ever, and better than most modern  rpgs.  I'm not a troll here- so put away your burning oil ! ;) ; but i think fighters should get more options for their usage of the cleave reserve- which is in itself an outstanding gaming conpept.

Goood example could be: multiple attacks at a cumulative penality to hit; parries; free 5-foot steps; feints; precision strikes at a penality.

[quote="derreavatar"] i agree; ; in this respect the game makes a very good depiction of an epic fighter. However i think he should be able to single out even some tougher monsters- in our Od&d games, fighter were heavily buffed  by wizards and cleric, and dealt a ton of damage aganist tough oponents, while wizards excelled at using area damage spells. [/quote]

You will find that this holds true in ACKS. Clerics excel at buffing, Mages at mass damage, and Fighters at direct attacks. Although, in the case of ACKS Fighters they are quite effective against single tough opponents, large hordes of weenies, and everything in between. There's also nice synergy between other character's damage, particularly Mage's mass damage, and a Fighter's Cleave.

[quote="derreavatar"] Actually , many more. Fighter nearly always dual wielded , so they had at 13rd 3 attacks per round.  

With a belt of giant stenght  , a +3 weapon ans specialization it was not strange to inflict 20 hp per hit.- the same damage you whould inflict in ACKS; however you could hit the same monster over and over in the same round.Off course stoneskin nullified their damage oputput, but  that's what dispel magic and teamwork were for. in ACK , you whould have more attacks aganist low hp monsters, for sure. [/quote]

My experience is that in AD&D or AD&D 2nd, the number of 13th level Fighters in actual play was vanishingly small, with most campaigns lucky to make it to name level. While acknowledging that an ACKS Fighter can inflict similar damage to his AD&D 2nd counterpart with a hit, you're also ignoring that the AD&D 2nd Fighter hit less often, and almost universally fought opponents with more HD. Seriously, if you look at the Monster entries between ACKS (or even AD&D) and AD&D 2nd, there is enormous HD inflation. Monsters end up having way more hp.

Also, the Cleave rules in ACKS tend to encourage exactly the kind of teamwork you're talking about. A few extra damage here and there from other members of the party can set up a Fighter to Cleave through the ranks of the enemy, if they can't already do so on their own.

[quote="derreavatar"] In BECMI, in companion rules, warriors were outstanding. you whould gain 2 attacks at 12 , 3 at 24  ecc. aganist monsters you could hit witth a 2+, which was not uncommon considering  weaopon mastery bonus to hit ( 6+ generally; and damage was 2d4+8 at high mastery)  and haste bonus to hit( +2 also)  ;aging with haste was not a problem AND haste potions and spells were specifically cumulative- so you migh end up with 4,8, 12 attacks per round! [/quote]

You're right, it was 12th level, not 9th for extra attacks. My mistake. I think it required being one of the pseudo-Prestige Classes (i.e., Paladin, Knight, Avenger), as well, although I think we ditched that, thinking it was a stupid limitation. As you say, you also needed a 2 or better to hit for that, which is likely only for a small number of opponents (with high/poor AC) at that level, and then only due to bonuses. There are only about 11 Monsters in ACKS with AC better than 9 (equivalent to lower than 0 in BECMI), and 6 of those are sizes of Elementals, while 3 are elderly Dragons. There are far, far more monsters with AC below 0 in BECMI (AC 10 or higher in ACKS) once you get to the Companion and Masters sets.

When you start talking about 24th level in BECMI, to me that's again veering into territory that very few campaigns ever actually made it to. I can recall less than half-a-dozen that I played in or knew of that ever made it to that point. That's not to completely dismiss it, but I don't think it was quite the everyday, dominant factor your post seems to imply. Keep in mind that an ACKS Fighter at max level (i.e., 14th) has north of 850,000XP...that's 14th Level in BECMI, too, and a 14th Level BECMI Fighter can't do the majority of what you're suggesting.

And yes, Haste and other similar effects did stack in BECMI, although you needed two different types (e.g., Haste and a Potion of Speed) to get the benefit. I also seem to recall it capped at x4, so no 8 or 12 attacks per round. Still, it was very good when combined with Weapon Mastery. And, for the record, I really, really liked Weapon Mastery. Sure, it was a bit kludgy, particularly at low-level, but it was a lot of fun at higher levels, and did a lot to make Fighters a lot more fearsome in combat (and Thieves deadly with a Backstab). I still don't think I'd trade it for ACKS' Cleave rule, which is simple, elegant, smoothly-scaling, and effective.

[quote="derreavatar"] And to sum it up- i love this game. It's the best old school renaissance game ever, and better than most modern  rpgs.  I'm not a troll here- so put away your burning oil ! ;) ; [/quote]

<looks up, blinking>

<surreptitiously re-stows military oil in  backpack>

I do hope you find the time to play. I understand how life gets in the way. ACKS is an absolute ton of fun in actual play, and I couldn't agree with you more about it being the best of the OSR. But then, seeing as I'm posting here, I'm clearly pretty biased. I do think you will find that it plays even better than it reads, and I have yet to see a reviewer who really got what Cleave and Fighter damage bonus does for the game without actual play experience.

I'd really recommend playng a bit of ACKS more or less rules-as-written before you go crazy houseruling around the Fighter. The class really does work in play, and will likely shine more than the Fighter does in any other version of the game (with the possible exception of high-level BECMI). 

[quote="derreavatar"] but i think fighters should get more options for their usage of the cleave reserve- which is in itself an outstanding gaming conpept. Goood example could be: multiple attacks at a cumulative penality to hit; parries; free 5-foot steps; feints; precision strikes at a penality. [/quote]

In my own games I've started allowing a Cleave attack to be Special Maneuver (disallowed by ACKS RAW). It can't trigger another Cleave, but it opens up the possibility of some fun stuff a bit more, as a Fighter doesn't have to give up all his or her Cleaves for the round to make said Special Maneuver. Also, Cleave already allows a 5' step. 

I can't see multiple attacks at penalty making sense with the existence of Cleave, and experience with 3.x D&D convinced me that this is a poor method of handling extra attacks (although some of that was to do with how the rest of the 3.x system interacted with -5 for an extra attack). What would a parry do? In my own past Basic games I've allowed PCs to go completely defensive, forgoing attacks in exchange for a +2 bonus to AC. I haven't used that in ACKS, yet, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. The AD&D 2nd rule for parries seemed like a good idea at the time, but leaves me cold now. What about a feint or precision strike? How would you handle them?

experience with 3.x D&D convinced me that this is a poor method of handling extra attacks (although some of that was to do with how the rest of the 3.x system interacted with -5 for an extra attack)

FWIW, Trailblazer (a v3.5+ hack that never stood a chance against Pathfinder, despite a more solid mechanical core) replaced +6/+1 with two attacks at -2 (+4/+4 at +6 BaB), +11/+6/+1 with two attacks at -1, and +16/+11/+6/+1 with two attacks at -0 (so +16/+16 at +16 BaB). It actually worked really well in practice.

I'm not the biggest fan of Trailblazer, as I've really had enough of heavy mechanical systems, but it really does fix a number of deeply rooted mechanical problems with 3.x D&D.

Trailblazer (plus E6) was the last 3.5 game I played. For what it was working with, it did a good job. The fact those guys got done with that "Spine Analysis" thing and didnt descend into madness....

I used some of the mechanics in Trailblazer the last time I ran 3.5 myself. I liked the direction they went more than the direction Pathfinder went.