Hey everybody, sorry if this is a total re-run of an earlier topic post as I am sure it is, I can’t seem to get forum search function to talk nice to me.
My home campaign is reaching into session 19 and I have decided to stop putting off the ACKSification of my region map that we have been using. (The fabulous forthcoming Autrach Wilderness map.) By ACKSification I mean to come up with some semblance of domain/city/geography organization for the local adjacent principality that controls the legendary “Keep” from Gygax’s Module B2.
So my question is: How would you classify the keep? It has a secure market to buy certain things and a 6th level Fighter running the place as Castellan. I am not asking for ACKS rules and guidelines to hew by the word of “Gary who art in Celestia”. But I am wondering about your take on it.
I have established that it is a Class V marketplace for ease of purchasing things, but I also haven’t described it as surrounded by farmland and houses that you would expect an urban settlement (with a merket that size) to have by the book.
So, is the Keep a strongpoint of a larger settlement, perhaps a long series of farms and houses up the road, away from the caves of chaos? Or is it an isolated fortification with a kick-ass market and not beholden by the general urban settlement rules.
What is the level of the castelan, does he have a vassal domain elsewhere? Is he a Marquis of the larger prinipality. Once again, I am not looking for hard adherence to rules, just general opinions.
Also my other questions for the day with apologies to A. Macris:
Is there a page that more closely explains the difference in leader level between independant urban settlements and ones within larger domains?
When figuring the total division of population and hexes of land between vassals and subvassals, does each “leader” of those vassals get their own personal domain population and area taken out of the pool to be divided among their vassals? (As per personal domain listed on the charts on page 230?) I assume so.
If, in general, 10% of a realm’s population clusters in an urban settlement, including small hamlets. What form of living situation do the other 90% of the families have in a domain? Wouldn’t that mean that you couldn’t fling a fireball without hitting a random cottage in the countryside. Each 6 mile hex in a domain would be riddled with hovels. And wouldn’t that be easy pickings for any monsters whatsoever in a domain hex. (1 in 6 random wilderness encounter each day.)