Character Building Discussion

Just keeping track of what classes people are thinking about.

Rodriguez - Assassin/Explorer

Dave R - Wonderworker

Susan Brindle - Mage

Hardrada - Assassin/Barbarian/Paladin

TK - Venturer/Thief

Kalstone - Cleric/Shaman

My rolls:

Kalstone

I'll take the 13,12,9,11,16,14 set and transpose the 16 and 9.  That gives

Str Int Wis Dex Con Chr
13 (+1) 12 (0) 16 (+2) 11 (0) 9 (0) 14 (+1)

That gives me a 7th level Cleric.  I'll spend the gold for magic items, 1k, 3k, 10k, 30k one by one.  I'll also spend 29,600 gp to xp for a henchman. Probably a Paladin, taking set 1 and transposing the Str and Int scores.

I'm seeing my character as a zealot.  He's bent on spreading the empire's faiths into the lawless east, by sword and flame if necessary.  If anyone has an issue with that, let me know.  I can change it around.

I'm here, but have been working all weekend.  I'm still mulling over my character.  sully, can I get magic item rolls, please?  Assuming standard expenditures at each level.

Dang, that ring of command is impressive. You LUCKED OUT. I'm pretty jelly. 

I think I'm actually going to write Neutral on my character sheet, just because I'm going to saddle the edge of Lawful and Neutral, and it's easier to have the conversation "Are you SUUURE you're not one of the good guys?" than "I'm not sure you're being lawful enough to justify having it on your sheet"

Also, did that Helm actually get rerolled? Because man, I kinda want one. It'd be hella sweet to slam one down onto, say, the great ogre warlord. It's a terrible long-term investment because it's effectively a really expensive scroll of charm person, but it'd be amazing the one time you got to use it. 

The Helm did get re-rolled.  The trouble with cursed items is that you don't know they're cursed until it's too late so no way to keep it lying around until you find some Chaotic you want to switch sides.

Yes, writing a spell from a scroll into your spellbook removes it from the scroll.

tk, do you want me to roll individually for each magic item, or once for each group.

e.g. for the 30k magic item set, I can roll once, 50/50 chance, either you get six items or none, or I can roll six times, one for each item.  Likely to get a few but unlikely to get all six.

I need that axe! @_@

My character can be your henchmen if you give me that axe!

It doesn't show yet, but I make progress on mundane equipment for 1 PC and four henchmen.  Still on the fence about mage or thief henchman.  I'm intending to start with some kind of honor guard of mercenaries, but what kind and how many still depends on remaining gold.

I should have asked before I went all out on magic items, but how do you feel about fantastic beasts or mounts out of starting funds Sulldawga?

I want to take a gamble on magic items to decide between assassin and explorer if thats ok. Its really a tough decision... :/

Edit: Please use as much money for the magic item rolls as possible by the rules. :slight_smile:

I have no objections to parting with it, although I'd suggest waiting until your own magic item rolls come in. No need to beg for a +2 axe if you end up with a dozen +3 spears. 

I'm not sure what to do about the Staff of Wizardry.  Obviously I'm not going to use it, but Susan and Dave could.  I'm trying to come up with what would be an equivalent divine caster item.  Would you consider a Rod of Resurrection?  Which one does everyone think would be most useful to the party?

Rodriguez, do you want me to roll individually for each magic item, or once for each group.

e.g. for the 30k magic item set, I can roll once, 50/50 chance, either you get six items or none; or I can roll six times, one for each item.  Likely to get a few but unlikely to get all six.

I'd have to think about fantastic beasts as mounts.  Which one were you considering?

If you're serious, and have the money and any necessary proficiency slots, I'll consider it.  If the rules allow it, I'm open-minded about it.

Trade you a Staff of Command?  One owner, lightly used, elderly patriarch only took it out on feast days.

Rod of Resurrection would be a roughly equal trade in this case.

Please roll for each item, I would rather have a few items then end up with none at all.

Its not begging, its trading an old dusty axe for my characters unwavering loyality.  :D

Eh, roll each time per item, please, instead of in blocks.

Since I think it will help me make my final decision regarding class, would you mind rolling up those items, please? 1k, 3k, 10k, and 30k, please (by item versus in groups).