Character Building Discussion

Have all my items been rolled, or just the 10 and 30? 

See Post #10 for the 1k and 3k rolls.

thirdkingdom's MI rolls

1k and 3k rolls are busts.  10k rolls result in 2 MIs, a potion, and a scroll.  Going to roll the 30k chances first, and then roll for the actual items.  1 potion, 4 scrolls, 3 MIs.

Ok, 10k items.  First two rolls are for type, next two are for item, last two are for potion and scroll.

9, 93 is Potion of Sweet Water.  99,68 is Shield +2.  12 is Potion of Climbing.  23 is Scroll of Ward against Lycanthropes.

Now the 30k items.  

65 is Potion of Invulnerability.  10 is Scroll of Ward against Elementals.  34 is Scroll of Ward against Undead.  75 is Scroll of six arcane spells.  66 is Scroll of two arcane spells.

Ignore the six d100 rolls, meant to do six d24 rolls.  4,24 is Wizard Eye; 6,4 is Death Spell; 2,5 is Detect Invisible; 5,19 is Scouring Wind; 5, 5 is Cone of Paralysis; 5, 14 is Mass Infravision.

Other scroll is 5, 23 Wall of Stone and 6,16 Programmed Illusion.

Since all but one of the items so far have been potions or scrolls, I will ignore all pot and scroll rolls from here on out.  3 magic items.

93, 74 is Shield +3.  57, 13 is Staff of Healing.  31,36 is a scroll but I'm switching to Ring of Fire Resistance.

Rodriguez's MI rolls

We finally get a hit on the 1k rolls!  No luck on the 3k rolls.  10k rolls are four hits on MIs, no pots or scrolls.  30k adds two pots, two scrolls, and three more MIs.

31, 34 is Scroll of Ward against Undead.  67, 41 is Sword +1, +2 vs Lycanthropes.  79, 83 is Sword +1, Locate Objects.  42, 41 is Scroll of 3,17 Lightning Bolt.  33, 46 is Scroll of 2, 17 Necromantic Potence.

8 is Potion of Clairvoyance.  8 is another Potion of Clairvoyance.  26 is Scroll of Ward against Magic.  35 is Scroll of Ward against Undead.

Last three rolls will be items only, no pots or scrolls.

51, 9 is a Scroll but I'm changing to Staff of Commanding.  Man, you guys are going to be able to Charm everyone in the wilderness. 45, 56 is another scroll so we'll change to Ring of Protection +1.  65, 9 is Bag of Holding.

Hardrada's MI rolls

1k rolls are a fail but 3k rolls return a MMI. 10k returns two items and a scroll.  30k returns 3 pots, 2 scrolls and 3 MIs.

The MMI is 58 Elven Boots.  63, 65 is Eyes of Petrification (re-roll after check to see if they work in reverse), 24, 71 is Ring of Regeneration.

The Eyes of Petrification are indeed cursed but the re-roll is Mirror of Life Trapping, which sucks so let's roll one more time.  64 is Eyes of the Eagle.  32 is Scroll of Ward against Undead.

4 pots and 3 scrolls, we'll get to them in a bit.  76, 15 is Sword +1.  77, 14 is Sword +1.  97, 46 is Shield +1.

69 is Potion of Levitation.  30 is Potion of Fire Resistance.  14 is Delusion but I'm too lazy to re-roll so we'll call it 41 instead.  Potion of Fire Giant Control.  Ha, of course, I have to roll again to determine type of giant affected.  86 is Potion of Speed.

38 is Scroll of Ward against Undead.  100 is Treasure Map.  79 is Treasure Map.  

Ugh, screwed up the rolls.  Need one more 1d100 for a MI, plus 5d6 gems from Treasure Map.

18 gems... I'm not rolling that out.  Let's call it 20,000 gp and call it a day.

56 is a scroll but it's only 1 away from RSW.  12 is Staff of Healing.  41, 15 is a scroll but we'll call it a Ring of Control Plant.  Finally, add another 4,000 gp.

Dave R's magic item rolls.  Ugh, very close on the 1k and 3k rolls but nothing so far.

Two random MIs out of the 10k roll.

Three potion formulae, four scrolls and five more magic items from the 30k rolls.  A nice haul.

22, 6 is a Ring of Command Humans.  86, 69 is a Sword +1, Light 30' radius.

16 is Delusion (re-roll), 92 is Potion of Sweet Water, 31 is Potion of Fire Resistance.  18 is Potion of Diminution.

66 is two spells, 99 is Treasure Map, 95 is Treasure Map, 3 is Cursed (re-roll).  25 is Scroll of Ward against Lycanthropes.  The scroll has two arcane spells: 6,18 is Reincarnate.  5, 14 is Mass Infravision.

Since this is supposed to be personal treasure, I am just going to give you the loot from the two treasure maps.  Add 15,000 gp to your total.  57, 10 is Staff of Commanding.

2, 19 is Potion of Diminution.  93, 76 is Shield +3.  

86, 60 is Sword +1, +3 vs Regen creatures. 74, 82 is Sword +1, Locate Objects.  79, 83 is Sword +1, Locate Objects.  42, 5 is cursed scroll (re-roll).  25, 26 is Ring of Djinni Calling.

64 is scroll of 2 spells.  Both are arcane spells.

6,8 is Flesh to Stone.  1,15 is Sharpness.

You can't transpose scores for henchmen.  That's a house rule that applies to PCs only.

Kal's rolls for MIs.  The 1k and 3k rolls are all failures.  Tough set of 10k rolls.  Only one magic item.

30k rolls: 1 potion, 2 scrolls.  Whew!  5 of 6 hits on magic items.

Back to the first MI from the 10k roll.  9 is potion.  84 is Potion of Polymorph.

For the 30k rolls, 35 is a Potion of Flying, 33 is Scroll of Ward against Undead, and 98 is Treasure Map.  Oh boy, more magic items to roll out.

27 is a scroll, 1 is a potion, 46 is a scroll, 48 is Potion of Growth, 34 is Scroll of Ward against Undead.  Sorry man, crappy rolls on the Treasure Map.

79 is a Treasure Map!  Add 2,000 gp to your total.  94 is Potion of Treasure Finding, 5 is Cursed re-roll.  Re-roll is 41, Scroll of one spell.  4 means Divine.  Level 1 spell.  There are only 10 Cleric spells so I choose #10 instead of re-rolling again.  It's a Scroll of Sanctuary.

Let's clean up the commentary before we go any further.  So far, you have a Potion of Polymorph, Potion of Flying, Scroll of Ward against Undead x2, Potion of Growth, Potion of Treasure Finding, Scroll of Sanctuary, and 2,000 gp.

Last five MIs: 20 is a Potion, 51 is a Scroll, 65 is a MMI, 35 is a Scroll, 60 is a Rod, Staff, or Wand.  I think if I was Kalstone right now, I'd be pretty pissed so I'm using my Judge's Wand of Re-rolls to re-do those potion and scroll rolls.  Of course, I roll three more scrolls, which makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time.  Fine, I cast Judge's Fiat and turn those rolls into a Ring, a Miscellaneous Weapon, and Armor.

28 is Broom of Flying, 29 is Staff of Wizardry(!), 5 is Ring of Command Humans. 59 is two Crossbow Bolts +2, and 64 is Shield +2.

If you don't want that Staff of Wizardry, let me know and we can work out something that gets you something more useful to your cleric that's of equal power.

Just to confirm, you're going to add Magic Carpet, Find Treasure, and Web to your spellbook?

Three random magic items.  62 is Miscellaneous.  88 is Miscellaneous Weapon.  72 is Sword.

80 is Helm of Alignment Changing (to be re-rolled).  32 is Axe +2.  55 is Sword +1, +3 vs Dragons.  46 is Drums of Panic.

Ignore the double rolls, I double clicked on the Save button.  Looks like two hits out of six.  8 is a potion.  97 is armor.  Just what a mage needs!

75 is Oil of Slipperiness, 77 is Shield +3.

Thrassians are out.

Let's roll for Susan's magic items.  Before I roll out Susan's 30k gp chances, I will give her (and all of you) the option: I like to roll out each individual magic item, rather than base it all on one roll.  I think PCs of your level should have accumulated multiple items at this point in their career so I feel like this maximizes your chances.  However, if you'd rather take an all or nothing shot at one roll, let me know.

Susan, let me know if you want me to re-roll your 10k gp roll, 50/50 chance of getting all four magic items, a potion, and a scroll, or if you want to stick with what I rolled, which is three magic items, no potion but one scroll.  Also, let me know how you want me to handle the 30k roll.

In any event, I owe her three potions and four scrolls.

Potions are 73, Oil of Sharpness, 90 Superheroism, 58 Heroism.

Scrolls are 22 Ward against Lycanthropes, 56 two spells, 42 one spell, 58 two spells.  All spell scrolls are arcane spells.

First scroll has a 4th and 1st level spell - Magic Carpet and Magic Mouth.  Second scroll has one 4th level spell - Find Treasure.  Third scroll has a 3rd and a 2nd level spell - Fireball and Web.

10 swords and axes.  10 rolls to check for sentience.  Nope.  All dumb ones.

Axe +2 (2%)

Sword +1, +3 vs Dragons (6%)

Sword +1, Light (2%)

Sword +1, +3 vs Regen (6%)

Sword +1, Locate Objects (2%)

Sword +1, +2 vs Lycan (4%)

Sword +1 (2%)

Sword +1 (2%)

Literally all six of you have at least one Scroll of Ward against xxx.  That kinda irks me, for some reason.  So...

I will allow each player to trade one of those Ward scrolls for one vanilla +1 weapon or +1 armor or Ring of Protection +1.

[quote="sulldawga"]

I will allow each player to trade one of those Ward scrolls for one vanilla +1 weapon or +1 armor or Ring of Protection +1.

[/quote]

Ward Against Lycanthropes Ring of Protection +1.

I trade one Scroll of Ward against Undead   for an armor +1

[quote="sulldawga"]

Rod of Resurrection would be a roughly equal trade in this case.

[/quote]

Hey, I can post again!

I'll trade the Staff of Wizardry for the Rod of Resurrection.

I'll also trade one Scroll of Ward against Undead for a +1 Ring of Protection.

Henchmen question:

Do all the henchmen have to be generated with the leftover rolls? (So, 4 henchmen max)

Can the potential prime requisits be raised beforehand? Otherwise the current sets would limit class selection. 

Prior to the game beginning, you can acquire as many or as few henchmen as you can afford (and your CHR and proficiencies allow).  If you use all four sets of hench rolls, I will roll more.  

If you don't like the rolls you got, you can wait until the game starts and attempt to recruit.

The upside to taking henches now is that their loyalty is guaranteed (I should have been more explicit about this).  Original henches start at Fanatic Loyalty.  There is also no acquisition cost.  You don't need to spend gold to recruit. Last, whatever you decide to pay your henchmen is ok with them (15% of PC earnings is still the minimum).

If you wait until the game starts, the upside is that you can recruit specific classes and, while I will still randomly roll their ability scores, I will manually adjust so that class minimums are met. The other upside is that you don't have to pay 1 gp per xp for experienced henches.  The downside is that you pay the hireling recruitment fee, and I have to roll for their reaction.  Depending on their reaction, they may refuse to work for you entirely or demand you "sweeten the pot".

While I'm thinking about henchmen...

I should also point out that while I have zero problems with PCs sharing/swapping spells and magic items, you can't do that (as easily) with henches.

Hench casters will zealously protect their spellbooks and will expect payment if others want to copy their spells.  If the PCs share spells with their henches, it will result in a bonus to morale and loyalty (assuming the PC doesn't make the hench pay).

Same idea with magic items.  Once you give an item to a hench, they assume it's theirs for good.  You can give them an item with the explicit understanding that it's only temporary but it will still result in a penalty the next time the hench levels up and I roll for morale.

If you replace a magic item with a better one, but take the worse one away, that's a net zero adjustment on the morale check.  However, if your hench has his own hench, you can have Hench A give his weaker items to Sub-Hench B and that's a positive reaction from B and no negative from A.

What about neutral or arguable swaps? "Trade you my +2 spear for the sword of +1, +3 against dragons" or "If you teach me Magic Missile, I'll teach you Fireball."

Also, FANATIC LOYALTY WHOOO  

I'd probably compare the two items by their base cost in gp.  Then make a reaction roll with a bonus or penalty depending on the relative values.

In the above examples, a +2 Spear is 15,000 gp but a Sword +1, +3 vs Dragons is 20,000 gp so the roll would have a penalty attached.

Trading a 1st level spell for a 3rd level spell, on the other hand, is a no-brainer.

DONE. Ring of Protection please.