Character Building Discussion

Susan, a reminder that mundane equipment at chargen is not free.  You've spent 44,000 gp on magic items and 54,100 gp on henchmen.  That leaves you 1,900 gp to equip your PC and all of your henchmen.

It also means you may have trouble paying your PCs lifestyle fee one month from now (1,500 gp for a 7th level PC), plus you'll owe 1,200 gp to your three henches.

Unless you hit the adventuring jackpot right away, you will run into issues.

The wagon and mercs you all have been discussing also needs to come out of everyone's initial 100,000 gp.

I'd consider a 1st level character a bit of a failure if it took him more than a month to gather the 2000ish GP to level up. I feel confident that Alistar will be able to round up a couple thousand gold in four weeks of adventure. That said, this is closer to the red ink than I like to go. 

Financial security should be the least of our concerns. Lets make it back in one piece and we can deal with the rest later. :)

Rodriguez, as far as your Hideout is concerned, you can't start with one in civilized territory.  One of the rules is that nothing interesting happens in civilization.  Also, there are existing thieves and assassins guilds more powerful than yours that would crush you from Day 1.

If you discover or create a domain in the wilderness, you're more than welcome to start up something there.  You don't have to wait until you hit 9th level, although a more powerful NPC could come along and challenge you...

EDIT: I suppose if you wanted to spend your money in that way, you could buy a stronghold in the wilderness and establish your own domain from the get-go.  I won't stop you but be forewarned that you'll have no settlers, you'll need to hire mercs to defend and patrol, and the hex and all hexes around it will be wilderness and subject to many, many wandering monster rolls.  

I'd be fine with starting the game off with a bit of hexclearing, and then putting that gold into investing in settlers. What you're describing sounds like a fun challenge! 

The guild was supposed to go into a frontier town where the guild would have been of somewhat equal strength with rivals due to size limitatons. I thought if mages can have labs and libraries there a hideout should be possible as well but thats your call. This will delay the domain game of thiefs and assassins a lot though as they require an established market.

Edit: Can I send out my henchmen to do hijinks in the frontier towns?

My intention is to get your party into the Wilderness and have you stay there.  The frontier towns count as civilization.  Nothing happens in civilization.  I get that this is an arbitrary rule but suffice to say that the Queen in the East keeps tight control of her domain and will not allow any sort of adventurer shenanigans anywhere near Ket.

I appreciate that mages can keep space in town for labs and libraries but they cannot create Sanctums in currently civilized areas, just as you can't create a Hideout.

I intend to keep my virtual mouth shut as much as possible about metagame knowledge but suffice to say that if you want to build a Hideout and run a guild, you will have other options besides building your own domain from scratch.

At the beginning of the game, I mentioned I would always have a couple slots open for friends.  One of those friends, Atlictoatl, has agreed to join the game.  

Atlic, here are your rolls

Thanks, sully! Hi, everyone!

[quote="kalstone"] Just keeping track of what classes people are thinking about.

Rodriguez - Assassin/Explorer

Dave R - Wonderworker

Susan Brindle - Mage

Hardrada - Assassin/Barbarian/Paladin

TK - Venturer/Thief

Kalstone - Cleric/Shaman [/quote] Any updates on this list?

The first entry in the Character Sheets thread has what we've got so far.  

Rodriguez - Assassin

Dave R - Wonderworker

Susan - Mage

Kalstone - Cleric

Hardrada - ???

thirdkingdom - ???

I regret the possibility of coming in as a late addition and stepping on toes, but I've a 24-hour period when I can focus on chargen and then will have less ability to do so until late next week, given my travel and work schedule after Saturday. For that reason, I'm just going to launch into character decisions here.

If it turns out that I play a character class that there should probably only be one primary PC of (like Venturer, Explorer, Shaman, or something) and either thirdkingdom or Hardrada had their hearts really set on it and just couldn't get to it in time, I remain willing to retcon my decision -- you were here first, after all.

That said, are we certain Hardrada's returning? It's unclear to me from the OOC thread.

Kalstone, I'm considering the possibility of playing a Shaman or Witch. Would that be too confrontational for your zealous Cleric?

That's fine with me.

Ok, I'm considering playing either a Sylvan Witch with Beast henchmen, a Thief, or a Fighter. I think the Sylvan Witch could be quite fun to play, and the Thief's Hideout is my preferred campaign-level stronghold.

All that said, I'm currently most enamored with the idea of playing a CON 18 heavily-amored Fighter. Thief is currently lowest on the totem pole.

Sully, can I get 44,000 gp worth of magic item rolls? I'll take each thing rolled separately, in hopes of getting some items vs a total gamble.

We'll see if even the most stalwart can be seduced from their righteous path. ;)

[quote="Atlictoatl"]

That said, are we certain Hardrada's returning? It's unclear to me from the OOC thread.

[/quote]

We are not certain Hardrada is returning.  I PM'd him to let him know that we're staying here and I wanted him back in the game but I haven't gotten a response as of yet.  At this point, I'd say do what you want to do.  No reason to worry about two characters of the same class.  It's a big wilderness, full of hexes to turn into domains...

Here come the drums...  Atlic's magic item rolls.

Bad luck with the 1k and 3k.  Looks like 10k yields 3 MIs and a scroll.  Which is good because the 30k rolls yield only one MI, as well as 2 pots and 2 more scrolls.  I am immediately activating Judge's Fiat and eliminating any pots or scrolls from MI rolls.

25, 34 is a Ring of Fire Resistance, 92, 99 is War Hammer +2, 47, 42 is a Scroll that I change to RSW.  Wand of Detecting Enemies.

36 and 35 are Potions of Flying, 64 is scroll of 2 spells, 48 is scroll of 1 spell, 89 is Miscellaneous Weapon.

Scroll of 2 divine spells and scroll of 1 arcane spell.  15 is Arrows +2.  I judge that to be a crappy roll and arbitrarily change it to Bow +1.

Since there's a chance Atlic may play a Witch, I'll roll the divine spells on the Witch tables.

1, 6 and 1, 5 is Scroll of Faerie Fire and Detect Magic.  1, 24 is Scroll of Wall of Smoke.

Sorry, man, somewhat crappy rolls but a couple good weapons, at least.  And if you go Fighter or Thief, maybe you can trade the scroll and Wand for more martial items.

Thanks for the rolls. I was secretly hoping for some Gauntlets of Ogre Power. How can I go about getting some non-mundane armor? I'm lacking any Ward scrolls...

I'll let you have a +1 armor in exchange for the Wand. 

Thank you. I take it there's no homebrew masterwork options? That's fine if there is, I'm just wanting to be sure.