In-Character - Down from the door where it began...

Masov

Indeed; we are here.

Aramis, then, and his men, they’re perhaps less happy to see us. Are these the Baron’s handpicked constables then? Have they not been investigating these things? How many of them are there?

You notice that the adults up the street watch the conversation with Ernst for a few moments more, then disappear back into the buildings from which they came. The children, on the other hand, seem fascinated by the party, and begin to surreptitiously press closer, dodging along buildings, behind rain barrels, and through shrubs to get a better look at you and your companions.

[quote="Masov"] Indeed; we are here. Aramis, then, and his men, they're perhaps less happy to see us. Are these the Baron's handpicked constables then? Have they not been investigating these things? How many of them are there? [/quote]

Ernst looks confused, but lowers his voice as he goes on, "Aramis? I mean, yes, he's been the constable here for...well, for years. I guess the Baron picked him...I don't really know how that works. As for "investigating these things"...pfah! He's done nothing but make noises about keeping us safe, preventing trouble...but still things have gotten worse. You can hardly talk to anyone any more! People hide in their homes much of the time. Hoping they won't be next, I expect."

He looks across the street towards the buildings Aramis retreated to, "...he had more men before. Some of them I knew. They're all gone, now. He has those two new fellows. Friends of his. Not from here. Still, with everything going on, they've done a decent job of keeping what visitors we still have in line. Not enough to man the fire pots, though. That'll be trouble if it's a bad summer for Vasan raids this year, you mark my words!" 

"Well, I guess you'd best speak to the Baron, let him know you've arrived." Ernst nods at you, as if he thinks the conversation is finished.

Aria
“That’s blade-harlot to you!” Aria cries, but not until he leaves earshot.

Hengist the Fair

You notice that the adults up the street watch the conversation with Ernst for a few moments more, then disappear back into the buildings from which they came. The children, on the other hand, seem fascinated by the party, and begin to surreptitiously press closer, dodging along buildings, behind rain barrels, and through shrubs to get a better look at you and your companions.

Sotto voce: “And me without any candy.”

Once the party breaks up, Hengist goes down on one knee to talk to one of them. “Hey, uh… kid. What’s the real deal with Aramis, and the Baron? What do people say about them?”

[quote="Hengist the Fair"]

Sotto voce: "And me without any candy." Once the party breaks up, Hengist goes down on one knee to talk to one of them. "Hey, uh... kid. What's the real deal with Aramis, and the Baron? What do people say about them?" [/quote]

The young boy before you looks star struck, seemingly unable to believe you've spoken to him. His faced is smudged with dirt. He stammers out his reply, "The b-b-b-Baron, sir? We haven't s-s-seen much of him. My da says it's ever since the elves came. I bet they put a spell on him!" the boy finishes, exuberantly. He then looks carefully over in the direction Aramis departed in, "Am I in trouble? 'Cause Constable Thorsdun's got pretty grumpy. Ever since things got all strange, and those elves came, I think."

Movement up the street catches your attention, and you see a woman standing near the corner Kerrick had ridden to. She looks about, appearing somewhat frantic, then spots you kneeling with the boy. She rushes over, breaking into an ungainly run, before pulling up short once she can see you are clearly armed and armored. She half-curtsies, "Pardon, my lord! Forgive my overeager son bothering you! Come now, Joshua..." she says, her tone cross, "...away with you!" Looking back towards you, she blushes, "Again, your pardon. He has not yet had his breakfast..." and moves to flee with him...

Kerrick Helmsworth

Kerrick looks around to the other party members. “Elves? I thought they had largely left this area.”

“Let us go find this Baron and see what he has to say about his responsibilities to his people.” From Kerrick’s expression as he looks at the disrepair of the town, he clearly does not think the Baron is doing a very good job.

Gwydion
Gwydion strokes his chin thoughtfully whilst attempting to recall any connections between his people and this island. He also makes a concerted effort to guage the locals’ reactions to him in particular. Should anyone look at him directly, he returns their gaze with a winning smile.

“Talking to the baron seams a good idea” “at least to se what his lies are”

Aria

Aria is happy to follow the party’s lead to meet the baron.

Miska the Misanthropic

Miska agrees.

Masov

Might as well let him know the help his people believes he requested is here.

Gwydion:

To the nearest townsman: “We shall present ourselves to the baron at once. Will you lead us to him? Perhaps there will be a reward in it for you from a lord well-pleased.”

Gwydion clears his throat. “And on the way, take us to your tavern. I am interested to know what passes for hospitality here.”

[quote="Gwydion"] To the nearest townsman: <em> "We shall present ourselves to the baron at once. Will you lead us to him?" </em> [/quote]

Ernst turns back towards you, wary, "I don't know about that...I've work I need to get done. The Baron's manor is that way, though, other side of town..."

[quote="Gwydion"] Gwydion clears his throat. <em> "And on the way, take us to your tavern. I am interested to know what passes for hospitality here." </em> [/quote]

"The Silver Scale Inn is in the same direction, just before the Baron's manor," Ernst continues, "But The Twelve Sheep is a friendlier place. It's just south of the Silver Scale, along the path out of town towards the temple"

Ernst gives a final nod, then heads inside his home.

The party gathers in the street, considering what to do. The sun has burned off the low-hanging mist, and a light breeze carries the scent of the sea. The town has started to come to life, and you can see a few people, dressed in rugged clothing, leaving various homes and heading in the direction you came, likely towards the small fiahing boats tied at the pier. All avoid eye contact with the party, and give the group a wide berth in the street, though whether out of deference or fear, you cannot say. Only the children dare approach the party, or even to stare.

[quote="Gwydion"] Will you lead us to the Baron? [/quote]

...the elf asks of a young girl you all noticed stalking the party earlier... 

[quote="Gwydion"] Perhaps there will be a reward in it for you from a lord well-pleased." </em> [/quote]

Beaming from ear-to-ear, the girl agrees to guide the party to the Baron's manor.

"I'm Lilah. You're an elf, like those others," she says, matter of factly, then turns and begins walking, motioning for you to follow.

Other buildings are beginning to show signs of craftsmen starting their work for the day.

Moving along the main thoroughfare behind the girl, you pass half-a-dozen shops and houses, including a poorly maintained building that must surely be the Frog's Rest of which Ernst spoke. Catacorner to this sits the impressive looking Silver Scale Inn, the sign out front depicting the beautifully painted scales of a fish's mail behind the name. The road splits here, one branch heading south towards a gate and the temple outside of town, the other hooking round the Inn's bulk on the north side towards a low, standing wall of mortared stone.

Passing round the Inn, you see that the stone wall surrounds a large manor house, two-story, constructed entirely of stone, and unlike most of the rest of the buildings in Orlean. The path leads to a break in the low stone wall adjacent to a high wooden tower that appears to be unamnned. The stone building would appear to be the seat of the local lord, although you can't see any signs of activity, and walk past the gatehouse unchallenged.

Stepping up the path, you find yourselves standing before an ornately carved wooden door depicting growing vines winding across its surface. A large, black-iron knocker is mounted in the middle of the door, and the young girl reaches up to knock on the door...

The "boom" of the knocker reverberates in the space beyond the door, and after a minute or so, the sound of running feet approaches from inside. The door is opened by a young girl, not much older than Lilah, and at the sight of the party her eyes go wide.

"My friends are here to see m'Lord!" Lilah announces proudly. The girl inside notices Lilah for the first time, but takes a moment to process what she's been told. She stands, blinking, then turns back to the party, mumbling, "A moment, please. I'll fetch Lord Mallory!"

The great wooden door is closed unceremoniously in your face with another loud "boom." Several more minutes past, with Lilah fidgeting on the step beside you. Eventually, the sounds of shuffling feet approach the other side of the door, and a small panel, perhaps the size of an open hand, opens at about eye level. A man's visage can be seen on the other side, heavy with beard and moustache around his jowly face. He looks the party over, but doesn't show particular concern. Then, raising an eyebrow, asks in a deep voice, "Yes? What is it you you want?"

Andrew

Andrew wonders what exactly they do want. If no one else has any ideas he’ll speak up, but for now he remains silent. He figures no one else wants to work as a healer.

Gwydion

Gwydion deliberately hands a silver piece to Lilah and smiles at her.

Then, he turns to regard Lord Mallard, careful not to show emotion or give hint to his thoughts as he steps forward and bows in the exaggerated courtesy of a declining, once-great people.

“I am Gwydion of the Silver Branch. We are travellers. It is said that times are hard for Orleans. Certainly, my own people have found much of interest here of late.”

Gwydion pauses while he seeks some reaction in the weak human lord’s visage.

“We, of course, are here to help.”

[quote="Gwydion"] Gwydion deliberately hands a silver piece to Lilah and smiles at her. [/quote]

The girl's eyes grow wide as she stares at the coin resting in her palm. Then, she clenches her fist around it, beams up at Gwydion, and then runs back down the path with a "whoop!"

[quote="Gwydion"] Then, he turns to regard Lord Mallory, careful not to show emotion or give hint to his thoughts as he steps forward and bows in the exaggerated courtesy of a declining, once-great people. "I am Gwydion of the Silver Branch. We are travellers. It is said that times are hard for Orlean. Certainly, my own people have found much of interest here of late." Gwydion pauses while he seeks some reaction in the weak human lord's visage. [/quote]

The man's brow furrows, and he replies sharply, "What do you mean, '...much of interest here of late?' Who are you lot?"

[quote="Gwydion"] "We, of course, are here to help." [/quote]

The man's eyes narrow slightly at this, "To help? Who sent you?"

Lord Mallory looks past Gwydion to the rest of the party, taking in your motley crew, then past all of you to the rest of the courtyard, where Kerrick sits astride his horse. His demeanor eases somewhat, and lets out a sigh before his face disappears into darkness, the panel in the door closing. There is a clatter, and the main door once again swings open, revealing Lord Mallory.

The man before you is middle aged, with a full beard and drooping moustache of brownish-red hair. A big man, Lord Mallory has clearly been living comfortably, as his heavy frame has spread around the middle. He is clothed simply in a long red surcoat bearing his coat-of-arms atop a grey, woolen robe.

He looks the group over again, seemingly undecided, but then half-turns and gestures with his arm for you to enter, "We are just to break our fast. Perhaps you would join us?"

Not waiting for an answer, Lord Mallory turns and crosses the hall, leading you into his manor. The entry hall is dark, and still carries a certain majesty, but as your eyes adjust to the dim light you note that the manor has seen brighter days. While in good repair, the place seems worn down with age, a patina on the metalwork and the patterns of the tapestries worn from too many cleanings.

Your destination is a large dining hall, dominated by a lengthy cedar table. Arrayed on either side of the table near one end is what is presumaby Lord Mallory's family: Lady Mallory, two young men, close in age and clearly brothers, their reddish hair and beards betraying their parentage, as well as two girls, one an adolescent, the other a child. Both men rise as the party enters, standing respectfully. There are several simple benches along the wall by your end of the dining table.

Lord Mallory crosses back to the head of the table at the far end, resuming his seat, after which his sons sit, and tuck back into their breakfast. The dining table is strewn with a variety of mouth-watering foodstuffs: hot porridge, oat cakes drizzled with honey, cooked eggs, warm beer, and salted fish. Your stomachs growl, in spite of the trail rations with which you all broke your fast this morning.

Lord Mallory sits, watching you, not eating. Finally, he speaks, "So, am I to presume you are here because Orlean is dying?" he watches you carefully for your reaction, "My other questions still stand, also..."

Miska the Misanthropic

As paranoid as ever, Miska partakes of neither the food or drink present on the table, and watches the Baron with as much scrutiny as the Baron watches him.

Kerrick Helmsworth

Kerrick sits, but does not eat. (Not out of paranoia, but because Lord Mallory is not, and that would be rude.)

“I will answer what questions for you I can, Lord. I am Kerrick Helmsworth, and my companions and I are here to help. We were not sent here; however, Vasan raiders were spotted moving about the river, and the watch-fires were not lit. This immediately let us know that something was wrong here. Fearing the worst, we arranged passage and arrayed ourselves for battle, in case raiders had destroyed Orlean entirely.”

“Having arrived, we found that happily your fair township has not been destroyed, but there does seem to be something causing problems. We came to present ourselves to you in hopes that you could tell us more about what is going on here.”

Kaul

“we are a crew of multiple talents and will seek to help you and your town in any way that you my lord see fit”
Kaul says triying really hard to look polite and well manered.

Aria
Aria says a small prayer to Venus. She then eats a small, spartan meal. She is hopeful that her divine patron will soon reveal what they are fated to do.